ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #5,447 of 16,326

Agree, mostly! I recently got to thinking how much it would cost to buy all the music on my computer (not all of it was 'ethically' purchased). I came to about £5'000 or £10'000, I forget exactly how much. With this in mind, I too feel that the streaming services offer terrific value for money and a way to 'set the record straight' regarding previous misdemeanours, ahem!
wink.gif

Throw in the fact that you can now get them in lossless formats and it's quite remarkable. Plus it's rather less cumbersome when moving house than the boxes of CD's I've carted around lol.
I still think the system could be better of course, but where it is right now is still pretty damn good and I for one am grateful for it's existence!

As a slight aside, I love the old TV show called Northern Exposure. It had a very eclectic music soundtrack but whenever you buy DVD sets of it, it's mostly been replaced with bland 'muzak' to save money on copyright/royalties. Annoys the hell out of me and I'd love to watch the show with the original soundtrack, but it goes to show how much of a valuable (and sometimes scarce) commodity music actually is!

..makes sense, but what happens to all the offline downloaded music after you cancel your subscription - do you get to keep it, or is it only available if you are paying a subscription?

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #5,448 of 16,326
Same here. Still waiting my DP-X1 and hope it will arrive next week.

I hope it does, and I look forward to hearing your impressions of it.

Patience is a strange thing ... I was quite happy to spend months reading about this and other DAPs and taking my time deciding what I wanted to buy.

However, having ordered the Onkyo, I want it in my hands NOW 
L3000.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #5,449 of 16,326

Patience is a strange thing ... I was quite happy to spend months reading about this and other DAPs and taking my time deciding what I wanted to buy.

However, having ordered the Onkyo, I want it in my hands NOW 
L3000.gif

I was waiting too, but now I feel privileged knowing that I'm listening to mine right NOW, and can tease you about how GOOD it sounds, dang, hold one, let me rewind, ok I'm back, wait a minute the realism there just tickled me with chills.  Ok, yes, you will get yours too ONE DAY   :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5,450 of 16,326

However, having ordered the Onkyo, I want it in my hands NOW :L3000:  

WAITING TIME for good portable audio stuffs is worth as I did for Chord Mojo and Cavalli Liquid Carbon balanced amp in couple months ago which I was not regretting!!!

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #5,451 of 16,326
WAITING TIME for good portable audio stuffs is worth as I did for Chord Mojo and Cavalli Liquid Carbon balanced amp in couple months ago which I was not regretting!!!

I also have the pleasure of a Liquid Carbon to keep me company while I wait.

The trains I travel to work on have power sockets and I have been tempted to take it with me once or twice. I might do it one day  
happy_face1.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #5,452 of 16,326

I also have the pleasure of a Liquid Carbon to keep me company while I wait.

The trains I travel to work on have power sockets and I have been tempted to take it with me once or twice. I might do it one day  
happy_face1.gif

That would be worthy of a photo upload if you do. I would love an LC.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #5,454 of 16,326

I'll swap you for your M3 
biggrin.gif

I wonder if I should knock up a cable to try balanced output from the DP-X1 into the LC?

It would be something to keep me amused while I'm WAITING  
confused_face.gif

Tempting, but the M3 matches my décor
biggrin.gif
 Yes you should make a balanced cable, you know ​you're going to want one anyway so get to it man. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #5,455 of 16,326
  ^ Solid argument. 

I would opt for the $20 though. I do notice a difference with compressed vs FLAC, but that's just me. If its not a big thing, $10 a month for a monster library is a no brainer. 

Same here, not only that hopefully when released MQA will be at the same price especially as non MQA files will most likely be 24Bit 44.1 FLAC files on Tidal but for capable DAP's ie DP-X1 it could play at a higher bit rate. I am currently on a 3 month free trial, with another 3 months to follow on the EchoBox kickstarter promotion

..makes sense, but what happens to all the offline downloaded music after you cancel your subscription - do you get to keep it, or is it only available if you are paying a subscription?

It's the price you pay for a subscription, the music you never own, but neither do you for your Satellite or Cable subscriptions own the TV series and Films we all watch (well not all as I'm sure someone will state they don't).
Plus there's nothing stopping any of us purchasing music we really want to keep. Well I do at least

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #5,456 of 16,326

It's the price you pay for a subscription, the music you never own, but neither do you for your Satellite or Cable subscriptions own the TV series and Films we all watch (well not all as I'm sure someone will state they don't).
Plus there's nothing stopping any of us purchasing music we really want to keep. Well I do at least

Thanks, I didn't want to have to post about that! I also purchase the music I discover I love and want as hard copy. Mind you, since Tidal, I have really slowed down on CD/download music purchases, but I still do buy some.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5,457 of 16,326
  Thanks, I didn't want to have to post about that! I also purchase the music I discover I love and want as hard copy. Mind you, since Tidal, I have really slowed down on CD/download music purchases, but I still do buy some.

Tidal I find is a great way to discover new music and of all genres, probably music I may never have listened too otherwise

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #5,458 of 16,326
  Tidal I find is a great way to discover new music and of all genres, probably music I may never have listened too otherwise

LOL, that is exactly how I feel. I have discovered music I would ordinarily not bother checking out. Great way to expand your horizons.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #5,459 of 16,326

This service is $19.99 per month - wow.  Is it only because of high resolution streaming.  What else are they offering for all that money!
Do you get recording rights in that high resolution?

Thanks

Get the $10 service, sounds just as good to my ears (I did pay for premium for a few months). I think people are nuts if they don't see the value in subscriptions like this, just nuts. Sorry to be harsh, but I have spent at least $10 000 if not more buying music in my life. In order to have access to these enormous, fresh and growing libraries how much money do you think you would have to spend? Plus, you can access your collection anywhere. I think there is a generational difference between people my age who had to pay for all our music, and those who were conditioned to think that music was their right and paying for it is wrong. I'm not saying this describes you, but frankly I have had so many conversations with younger people who laugh at people who pay for music and they just can't see why anybody would when stealing music is so damn easy. I ask these people whether they expect to be paid for their work. I just get puzzled looks, they can't seem to connect the dots very well. Sorry for the rant, and it really wasn't meant to focus on you only, just a general rant triggered by your post.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

This stuff costs money to create, record and market. If the musicians / artists don't get paid then we'll be left with a bunch of bedroom studio people issuing music as a hobby (of which I'm one, but that doesn't mean I want a world without pro bands). The 'net and digital music has meant that you don't need record companies and distributors as much. So the middle man loses his or her job, but the music is cheaper than ever. Paid streaming doesn't pay artists as well as selling albums, but it's better than nothing.
The cost of Tidal's premium service is the same as two CDs. I probably download 10 Tidal albums for offline listening per month, amd listen to a bunch of tracks by new artists as well. If you listen to a lot of music, it's great value, IMHO.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #5,460 of 16,326
Just ordered mine from PriceJapan. Will pair it with my noble k10.

Got poisoned from all the reviews I read. Now, should I get a balanced cable.... Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back