ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,042 of 16,326

This is one tool among many, the risk is to brick the DP-X1 pure and simple, keep that in mind if you try it...
An android dev would be preferable but frankly I am not sure it's worth the hassle

Very wise advice. It's weird for me though - never had an Android portable device that I didn't root and install a custom ROM. But for X1 it's safe to assume there will be no custom ROMs and highly doubtful that generic Android ROMs will work on the X1.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #5,043 of 16,326
I agree for a phone it's a different story, plus you have enough people to confirm which root tools and procedure are safe :)

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #5,045 of 16,326
  is it possible to save the current firmware on your device before you upgrade to the lastest, ie. is it stored in a folder you can access?

Are you worried about one firmware sounding better than the other?

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #5,046 of 16,326

This doesn't follow at all.  Upsampling and digital filters doesn't even work on the same principle. 

He didn't say upsampling...

Digital filters are low pass filters and their steepness is what effects the sound. As you play higher resolution audio, their steepness begins to not matter so much as any negative artifacts from the filters will be more and more outside the range of human hearing.

With high resolution (like 192 or 384kHz) you can get away with filters which ignore Nyquist theorum, shallower ones, without the digital artifacts you're now not filtering out properly being audible. Shallower filters give less ringing and a better impulse response (kind of the same thing).

But in the same way, it would follow when talking about upsampling too (because with the higher res you've upsampled to, you can use shallower filters...).

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #5,047 of 16,326
Could anyone tell me if I could pair IE80s with the dp-x1?
Also if the dp-x1 displays id3 lyrics natively?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

describe what you are currently using as a source/amp for the IE80 and what you don't like about it and you will get a better answer.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5,048 of 16,326
describe what you are currently using as a source/amp for the IE80 and what you don't like about it and you will get a better answer.

I currently don't own a pair.
I'm buying the dp-x1 within the next couple of weeks. The IE80s have detachable cables & fit in my price range. From what I've read they would probably go well with the music I listen to. That's why I was asking. Also, the ohm range.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #5,049 of 16,326
Looks like I will have an extra DP-X1 next week. 
blink.gif

FromJapan won't cancel my Amazon.jp out of stock order. They tell me it will be in the Amazon.jp warehouse on Jan 8th.  Oh well. 
rolleyes.gif

Meanwhile, my second order (Amazon.jp seller and Tenso) is in now in Chicago customs. 
beerchug.gif

...and my new black dragon cables have just arrived from Drew (Moon Audio). I am ready! 
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #5,052 of 16,326

He didn't say upsampling...

Digital filters are low pass filters and their steepness is what effects the sound. As you play higher resolution audio, their steepness begins to not matter so much as any negative artifacts from the filters will be more and more outside the range of human hearing.

With high resolution (like 192 or 384kHz) you can get away with filters which ignore Nyquist theorum, shallower ones, without the digital artifacts you're now not filtering out properly being audible. Shallower filters give less ringing and a better impulse response (kind of the same thing).

But in the same way, it would follow when talking about upsampling too (because with the higher res you've upsampled to, you can use shallower filters...).

If you already believe in the limited range of human hearing, then the end results of "hi-res" and upsampling is exactly the same.
It still doesn't mean that if you can hear the difference between digital filers that it follows you can hear the difference in high-res/up-sampling, again it doesn't follow at all as the principle is completely different as I said.  For example a digital low pass filter can be a perfect brick wall filter but is implemented to cut-off at 5kHz and it would GREATLY affect the sound to pretty much anyone's hearing no matter what super high sampling rate (192/392 or whatever) you are using, this would be a clear case of someone being able to hear a digital filter but has nothing to do with hi-res - not that this kind of filter will be of any use in music audio, but just an example.  A lot of times the digital filters in audiophile equipment aren't implemented for accuracy of reconstruction but for achieving a certain sound quality (eg, some go for tube sound so adds distortion delibrately), which again shows that when some hears the effects of digital filtering doesn't mean they can hear the effects of upsampling/high-sampling.  

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #5,053 of 16,326
If you already believe in the limited range of human hearing, then the end results of "hi-res" and upsampling is exactly the same.

It still doesn't mean that if you can hear the difference between digital filers that it follows you can hear the difference in high-res/up-sampling, again it doesn't follow at all as the principle is completely different as I said.  For example a digital low pass filter can be a perfect brick wall filter but is implemented to cut-off at 5kHz and it would GREATLY affect the sound to pretty much anyone's hearing no matter what super high sampling rate (192/392 or whatever) you are using, this would be a clear case of someone being able to hear a digital filter but has nothing to do with hi-res - not that this kind of filter will be of any use in music audio, but just an example.  A lot of times the digital filters in audiophile equipment aren't implemented for accuracy of reconstruction but for achieving a certain sound quality (eg, some go for tube sound so adds distortion delibrately), which again shows that when some hears the effects of digital filtering doesn't mean they can hear the effects of upsampling/high-sampling.  

Well said ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back