ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #5,011 of 16,328
Hey no problem. I edited my post. Had a few too many last night while counting down the days to go. In hindsight maybe I was a little too candid. And yeah, I know how to piss people off - apparently. To tell the truth i am a little worried about how long I may keep - this is real midnight express stuff (never seen that movie? rip and encode it down to watch on the DP 1x)

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #5,012 of 16,328
  really needed to get it off of your chest 'cause that was one of those moments when you pause and say, "too much information".  :) 

Yeah. Sorry about that. Last night at 4.30am my time after drowning my sorrows all night my judgement was a little ,,,er,,impaired :wink:

To not think about things i read about this player all day long. How you checked out the youtube clips on this player? All in Japanese - total flip time. I've been hunting down every scrap of info i can find on this player. Apart from filling a need, damm tnis is a sexy machine. From what i can understand though its only available in Japan. When is that likely to change?

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #5,017 of 16,328
So the 2.5 port is OK for you? Have you used any Noble CIEMs?

2.5mm port is fine, no issue at all.
Haven't tried the noble ciems.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #5,019 of 16,328

I will say this with 100% confidence. Both Mojo and Hugo are the WORST DAPs on the market! ALO CDM is a terrible DAP too!
eek.gif

Hahaha..  Love it! You are what in the UK we would call a "wind-up merchant"
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #5,022 of 16,328

Don't waste your money. There is no audible difference between a normal 44.1/16 FLAC file and higher bitrates.
Actually already 320kpbs MP3 or AACs won't make a difference in 99% of all cases.

Sigh.. I do wish people would stop making dogmatic/inflamatory comments like this.. All too often, it seems to degenerate into 'tit for tat' point-making and sours the atmosphere.
I don't doubt you believe this to be true, and doubtless it *is* true (for you), but many others on this forum swear they *can* hear a difference. Live and let live.

In the last couple of days alone, I've read posts such as "impossible to tell the difference over 320kbps", "cable quality makes no difference", "transports make no difference", stated as absolute fact to warn the uninitiated. If it was just framed as "some believe that...X, whereas I and others believe... Y", at least any ensuing discussion would be positive and constructive (hopefully lol).

Please don't take this as a personal attack or anything, I don't mean it in this way. Just want to try to suggest a more constructive and peaceable way for us all to discuss our opinions.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #5,023 of 16,328
PS: and regarding whether differences in bitrate etc are audible or not, here's my own personal opinion.
I've listened to the same songs on 16bit and 24bit FLAC (correct terminology? not sure lol).
I felt I could hear new details with the latter. Could simply be that the latter was ripped with better equipment? Could be all sorts of things.

But equally, having read the scientific explanation as to why we are 'unable' to hear a difference, I am not entirely convinced.
As a science-y/engineering type of person with an interest in biomedical engineering, I can say that there are countless examples of new research uncovering mechanisms that we had no idea existed, or finding causes behind the effects. The current 'science' about hearing was referring to the internal shape of the ear and the tiny 'hairs' that vibrate (and their length).
But there could easily be all kinds of other factors that have simply not been discovered or focused upon yet.

So my attitude is more like:
a) some people have naturally more sensitive hearing than others (other factors affect this too, such as age, loud music exposure, etc)

b) hearing sensitivity can be trained and improved, just as taste sensitivity can for wine/whisky/coffee tasting etc

c) doubtless some people experience placebo effects (but who cares, if you really feel it sounds better?) lol

d) the scientific understanding of this whole area is less than comprehensive or definitive at present

With all this in mind, as I said before, live and let live :)
And now for something *not* completely different lol.. Just wondering if anyone has raised the occasional wobbly headphone socket issue with Onkyo?
It seems like they've been made aware of other software/firmware issues and are acting on it, which is great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back