ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,028 of 16,328
Don't waste your money. There is no audible difference between a normal 44.1/16 FLAC file and higher bitrates.
Anybody who hears a difference between DAC digital filter settings (slow, fast etc. roll-off), also hears the difference between 44.1kHz and higher sampling rates, because at higher rates DF works at higher frequencies and, as such, its mode does not matter.

You may not hear any other difference, but it's wrong that there is no one at all.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #5,029 of 16,328
  Hey guys,

ANy idea what are the changes for the latest firmware? :xf_eek:

Read here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/4500#post_12295234

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #5,030 of 16,328
  Hey no problem. I edited my post. Had a few too many last night while counting down the days to go. In hindsight maybe I was a little too candid. And yeah, I know how to piss people off - apparently. To tell the truth i am a little worried about how long I may keep - this is real midnight express stuff (never seen that movie? rip and encode it down to watch on the DP 1x)

Read the book, and I kid you not, I watched it last night on one of he movie channels. Now that is a coincidence. Seriously, though I hope the time goes quickly for you.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,031 of 16,328
Anybody who hears a difference between DAC digital filter settings (slow, fast etc. roll-off), also hears the difference between 44.1kHz and higher sampling rates, because at higher rates DF works at higher frequencies and, as such, its mode does not matter.

You may not hear any other difference, but it's wrong that there is no one at all.

I'm not sure what to say, I don't believe in high-resolution making a difference, but I swear I hear a difference with the digital filters. Could I be fooling myself? Sure, I guess that is always a possibility, the brain is a tricky thing. If you have been following the thread I at first swore I heard no difference at all and I had given up testing. Then one day without really thinking about it I tried again and I did think I heard something.

That said, I have myself been wondering about whether or not I ended up convincing myself I heard a difference. One factor that does concern me is that after you make a change in filter or lock-range there is a pause in sound for a moment. In theory, that pause could cause us to interpret the sound as changed. I'm not going to say that is a fact, or that the filters and lock range don't actually make audible differences, but I am more than willing to admit that it is plausible I tricked myself.

Still, I do feel I hear a difference. I'm curious what others who experiment with these settings feel. I think healthy skepticism is a good thing, and so is an open mind.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #5,032 of 16,328

This doesn't follow at all.  Upsampling and digital filters doesn't even work on the same principle. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,034 of 16,328

Yes I am one of them :)

The ZX2 is great, especially as @Whitigir always says the amazing tonal body and the nuances that the ZX2 is able to convey. 

I wanted more output power, and balanced of course, and also a DAP's choice is about synergy. Ah and The walkman connector made the ZX2 a clumsy choice for Mojo transport on the go.

I think ZX2 pairs beautifully with neutral or analytical IEMs / headphones as it adds a touch of warmth and builds on technical ability / potential to add nuances and life to them. On the other hand I think DP-X1 is pairing beautifully with warmer IEMs and headphones, bringing it's technical abilities with separation, transparency, detail, soundstage and speed. That's of course oversimplifying it and my own take on mixing source / phones. For example the warm NightHawk open up with the DP-X1 and come to life showing technical abilities that you would just miss otherwise.

Would you say Noble K10s fit the ZX2 or DP-X1? And how would a cable upgrade to Double Helix Symbiote fit in with both those players?

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5,035 of 16,328
  Would you say Noble K10s fit the ZX2 or DP-X1? And how would a cable upgrade to Double Helix Symbiote fit in with both those players?

I have never heard the K10 what kind of signature has it ? Never tested Double Helix Symbiote, I wouldn't know and of course that's my own take on source matching, your mileage may vary.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,036 of 16,328

I have never heard the K10 what kind of signature has it ? Never tested Double Helix Symbiote, I wouldn't know and of course that's my own take on source matching, your mileage may vary.

I had both the SE846 and K10 at one time. The K10s don't have quite have the sub bass of the SE846, the mids are little more neutral, but the highs are much more extended and detailed. Comparison was with white filters in the SE846.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #5,037 of 16,328

IMHO, cables are a very personal thing. Outside of durability and comfort, it's difficult to get a quantitative impression. I am a big fan of custom cables because of the different termination and connector options I go through. Having a great relationship with a custom cable maker is like having a trusted mechanic for your car. I personally would recommend Ted Allen at headphonelounge.com for all your headphone and IEM cable needs. Great prices and service. If you want to have the exotic stuff like 8 strands or silver/gold then DHC or Plussound are good choices, but your wallet will feel it LOL.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,039 of 16,328
  is it possible to save the current firmware on your device before you upgrade to the lastest, ie. is it stored in a folder you can access?

Technically yes, but you would need to root the X1 and install a 3rd party boot manger like TWRP. Unfortunately I doubt the general Android developer community will bother to root the X1. If any Headfi member is a Android developer, maybe we can do a GoFundme and get root access.

-OR-

Do we have a brave soul to try this - https://www.oneclickroot.com

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5,040 of 16,328
Technically yes, but you would need to root the X1 and install a 3rd party boot manger like TWRP. Unfortunately I doubt the general Android developer community will bother to root the X1. If any Headfi member is a Android developer, maybe we can do a GoFundme and get root access.

-OR-

Do we have a brave soul to try this - https://www.oneclickroot.com

This is one tool among many, the risk is to brick the DP-X1 pure and simple, keep that in mind if you try it...
An android dev would be preferable but frankly I am not sure it's worth the hassle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back