ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 2, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,711 of 16,326
I would have loved to test DP-X1 and have been in touch with Onkyo marketing team, but they refuse to send me review sample, especially knowing how many other DAPs I have tested and compared.  There is nothing I can do if they feel insecure about their product...

I have to say, making a negative remark like 'There is nothing I can do if they feel insecure about their product' on a public forum just because they refused to send you a free product sample is quite unbecoming.

Nonetheless, I do hope you do get to review the unit. Would be nice to read some comparisons.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #4,712 of 16,326

There's nothing in the manual that explicitly states this, but this is true.
(In fact, even when you set the upsampling limit to 96KHz, it still outputs DSD at 192KHz)
DoP is another ballpark altogether, as it is output via usb.

Thank you,  Zenifyx.  Does it also downconvert to 24 bit or 32 bit? if so, io is the output equivalent to a 192 kHz flac or other high resolution lossless format?

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #4,713 of 16,326
I have to say, making a negative remark like 'There is nothing I can do if they feel insecure about their product' on a public forum just because they refused to send you a free product sample is quite unbecoming.

I think that is a little strong, but yes in general you do get more flies with honey as they say. Review samples aren't to be kept, the reviewers return them, but the company usually covers shipping both ways. Seems reasonable to ask if you are going to get them exposure. I think it is a mistake in some respects as people who are good at reviews and have experience do actually influence purchasing decisions.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #4,714 of 16,326
Onkyo is not a small corp, i'm sure they have their own ways to handle marketing like Sony. Therefore, they will look for official, major review publications not a small, private ones in Western market.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #4,715 of 16,326
I'm not a bitter "random person" from internet, but rather a humble community reviewer who tests a lot of audio gear sent to me by many manufacturers who respect my opinion, appreciate my feedback, and typically ask me to keep their gear for long term use and future comparison.  My resume of review work (twister Review index) and status of Contributor speaks loud and clear to support that.  I don't take this privilege for granted.

A question was raised if I'm going to review DP-X1, something I have been asked dozens of times over the course of last few months in different threads and through PMs, and I replied back.  Was my reply a bit strong?  Perhaps.  Onkyo is well aware of this thread 
wink.gif
, let them read it.

Statement about them feeling "insecure" is my opinion, where perhaps they are not too keen for me to compare their DAP to other competition.  In no way am I trying to attack them, but rather providing the explanation why I didn't have a chance to test/review it yet.  And I'm well aware that I actually "voluntered" to provide this explanation, and nobody ask me for it.  Sorry if I offended someone...

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #4,716 of 16,326
I think those big companies don't care about individual review because their marketing groups have their own ways to publish the review through some well known websites.  my friend works for Samsung mobile China, and she is directed by headquarter in Korea that Samsung mobile device shall not distribute to individual reviewers, but well known websites. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #4,717 of 16,326
  I'm not a bitter "random person" from internet, but rather a humble community reviewer who tests a lot of audio gear sent to me by many manufacturers who respect my opinion, appreciate my feedback, and typically ask me to keep their gear for long term use and future comparison.  My resume of review work (twister Review index) and status of Contributor speaks loud and clear to support that.  I don't take this privilege for granted.

A question was raised if I'm going to review DP-X1, something I have been asked dozens of times over the course of last few months in different threads and through PMs, and I replied back.  Was my reply a bit strong?  Perhaps.  Onkyo is well aware of this thread 
wink.gif
, let them read it.

Statement about them feeling "insecure" is my opinion, where perhaps they are not too keen for me to compare their DAP to other competition.  In no way am I trying to attack them, but rather providing the explanation why I didn't have a chance to test/review it yet.  And I'm well aware that I actually "voluntered" to provide this explanation, and nobody ask me for it.  Sorry if I offended someone...

Calling anyone insecure is offensive, maybe English not your forte?

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,718 of 16,326
Considering the DP-X1 to give balanced a try, but my "go-to" IEM is rated at 22 Ohm impedance. On Onkyo website the statement on impedance range for use with this DAP is Unbalanced: 16 ∼ 300 Ω / Balanced: 32∼ 600 Ω, Will I run into issues due to this or is it not problematic in acutal use, especially noting multi-armature IEM's such as my 64Audio A6 can have impedance swings? I suppose I could add an impedance adapter but this would seem to defeat the point of a balanced IEM wiring and cable's low noise floor.

Be gentle if I misunderstood something basic, which is certainly possible. I am still relatively new to this hobby and don't want to make a pricey mistake! Thoughts and wisdom from the cognizenti appreciated! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,721 of 16,326

It seems to work so far. As I mentioned, the resideu was removed with nail polish remover and you can't really see the dried glue, it's dries clear. The reason why I preferred glue over sugru was as far as I know sugru needs some bulk to attach to surfaces properly. Given the gap, although noticable, is very small, maybe 1mm? I wasn't sure if sugru will hold properly and supper glue seemed a better idea. I certainly am not recommending this approach, as it will probably void the warranty. I was willing to take the risk because I'm simply not patient enough to wait two or more month for potential warranty claim to eventuate. I guess time will show...

..a little bit of black silicon....

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,723 of 16,326

A question was raised if I'm going to review DP-X1, something I have been asked dozens of times over the course of last few months in different threads and through PMs, and I replied back.  Was my reply a bit strong?  Perhaps.  Onkyo is well aware of this thread :wink: , let them read it.

Calling anyone insecure is offensive, maybe English not your forte?

Reviewing and helping members of this community is my forte. It's a great hobby, highly recommend.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #4,724 of 16,326

I got the U12 from Kickstarter. It have a very wide and deep sound stage when paired with the DP-X1. It also sounded very smooth and laid-back but it is still able to pick up all the fine details of the tracks like a details monster and also very engaging. The separation is also very wide and precise. Most importantly, the ears are very relaxed after hours and hours of continuous listening because of the ADEL module. The listening volume also sounded louder as compared to other IEMs, hence the reduction of volume from the source.

Considering the DP-X1 to give balanced a try, but my "go-to" IEM is rated at 22 Ohm impedance. On Onkyo website the statement on impedance range for use with this DAP is Unbalanced: 16 ∼ 300 Ω / Balanced: 32∼ 600 Ω, Will I run into issues due to this or is it not problematic in acutal use, especially noting multi-armature IEM's such as my 64Audio A6 can have impedance swings? I suppose I could add an impedance adapter but this would seem to defeat the point of a balanced IEM wiring and cable's low noise floor.

Be gentle if I misunderstood something basic, which is certainly possible. I am still relatively new to this hobby and don't want to make a pricey mistake! Thoughts and wisdom from the cognizenti appreciated! 
wink_face.gif

vtkc: I'm glad you're enjoying the U12 / DP-X1 combo....sounds like my issue above is not a concern as U12 has impedance of 16 ohms, even less than my A6. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #4,725 of 16,326
+1
Or they are selling enough units already without having to accept all review requests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back