ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 1, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,696 of 16,328
Not many bands can help you out find the limits of your DAC lime Mastodon. I listened to their latest album on my TH-X00s straight from DP-X1 SE and it is, frankly, a bit of a mess. There's so much texture, riffs everywhere and that animal on the drums that poor thing fell apart. Occasionally there was sibilance in there... The Mojo though, no sweat. All instruments are clearly defined, voices sound better and the whole thing makes sense. I doubt going balanced on this particular album would make much difference but I'll try it out regardless. The DAP is great though, very convenient on the go by itself. However, don't kid yourself thinking you get Mojo like sound computing power out of it.

How does the DP-X1 perform as a transport compared to others you've tried? TIA

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #4,697 of 16,328
I'm pretty sure DSD is converted to 192KHz regardless of upsampling mode when the headphone out is used.

Thank you for this information. It is an important but confusing point for some...is there something in the manual or another source for this statement? Also, does this differ from DoP?

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,698 of 16,328
As transport I would say it is the best out there. Android interface and double micro SD, what else would you wish for? Two more slots maybe? :) The fact that you can feed a Mojo via USB puts it heads and shoulders above other options on coaxial or optical IMHO.
Battery life is excellent. I'm on the second say with some 6 hours play and battery is at 60%.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #4,699 of 16,328
  As transport I would say it is the best out there. Android interface and double micro SD, what else would you wish for? Two more slots maybe? :) The fact that you can feed a Mojo via USB puts it heads and shoulders above other options on coaxial or optical IMHO.
Battery life is excellent. I'm on the second say with some 6 hours play and battery is at 60%.

Just what I wanted to hear! Does Tidal app work via OTG for you?

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #4,701 of 16,328

Thank you for this information. It is an important but confusing point for some...is there something in the manual or another source for this statement? Also, does this differ from DoP?

There's nothing in the manual that explicitly states this, but this is true.
(In fact, even when you set the upsampling limit to 96KHz, it still outputs DSD at 192KHz)
DoP is another ballpark altogether, as it is output via usb.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,703 of 16,328
Feb 1, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,706 of 16,328
@twister6 have you had a chance to spend time with the DP-X1 yet? If so did you get to test balanced versus SE?

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #4,707 of 16,328
I'll let you guys experiment with it for a few days before updating. The thing runs well with 1.25

I never worry about this type of thing, if I'm willing to buy the whole device from a company I have to have confidence that they can update it correctly right?

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #4,708 of 16,328
  @twister6 have you had a chance to spend time with the DP-X1 yet? If so did you get to test balanced versus SE?

I would have loved to test DP-X1 and have been in touch with Onkyo marketing team, but they refuse to send me review sample, especially knowing how many other DAPs I have tested and compared.  There is nothing I can do if they feel insecure about their product...

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,709 of 16,328
^ It has nothing to do with insecurity, probably just company policy due to the hassle... where would it end, random people from the internet all asking for review samples. They would firstly need an internet rep on these forums to consider such an approach. It is probably the better approach overall if done right, but I can see their viewpoint, it is extra work for little payoff, I'm sure they have people that read the forums and the net for feedback etc, but introducing a rep is a whole new story, why not just do their own thing and sell their product to whoever wants it, seems to be working for them, and Sony, etc.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,710 of 16,328

I would have loved to test DP-X1 and have been in touch with Onkyo marketing team, but they refuse to send me review sample, especially knowing how many other DAPs I have tested and compared.  There is nothing I can do if they feel insecure about their product...

Well, that is odd if you ask me. I wonder if they ever do so, or if they do does it have to be professional reviewers from officially recognized audiophile publications? Too bad, I would have enjoyed your perspective as I know you have lots of DAP experience and your reviews are in my view very balanced. Maybe in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back