ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 1, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,681 of 16,328
I am not sure it's so clear cut although balance does provide benefits in terms of soundstage and separation I'll grant you that, but to my ears Mojo is just amazingly good even single ended. I think we can only say that the same gear will sound better balanced than single ended, for instance DP-X1 is better balanced although not by as big a margin as I would have thought (contrary to my PHA-3 where it was just night and day).

Now I am looking at ALO CDM because it provides a balanced out, I'll confess :) (and also because tubes, well, always wanted to give it a shot...)

It gives balanced out, accepted balanced in as well ....lol....and tube...and DAC...the only one of it kind.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,682 of 16,328
  @adrsz Well, it is really impossible to say. Yes there is always exaggeration, and a little hype, but there is most certainly audible differences between well designed and well made gear and average stuff. Yes a FiiO X3ii sounds good, as does a Sony A17, the trouble is that sound signature preference is very personal and so is the point at which the extra $300 to buy say a DP-X1 over an X3ii (my pricing may be inaccurate, it is for illustrative purposes only) is worth it. As I am sure you have read quite a bit on head-fi, diminishing returns is also quite personal. If you have disposable income to play with, well perhaps spending triple the money to get say a 10% gain is worth it to you. If money is tight then perhaps not.

The music you mentioned isn't really full of dynamics and sonic goodies so if you don't care about multiple devices I would say get a decent enough amp like the E12, or C5, and use it with even a smartphone. Not trying to sound dismissive as I like quite a wide variety of music, but going by what you mentioned I would really question the need to get a very detailed player, you might even regret hearing some of that material with more detail. Hopefully that doesn't sound bad, but I'm trying to be honest. I have a large collection of music I can barely stand anymore as it is just so poorly recorded and as I get older simply liking the music isn't enough for headphone rigs. Speakers maybe as the poor recordings aren't strapped to my head so the listening environment is more forgiving in that respect.

Now if you were to tell me you like to explore lots of new music and you could see yourself getting into better recorded material with dynamics and detail worth revealing then I would say consider getting a detailed DAP and headphone. Otherwise, frankly I like what less detailed players do for modern pop/R&B/Hip Hop, I find it actually takes that edge off. I know you weren't asking for a lecture, but answering a question without being honest is only so useful. There is truth in saying some music just doesn't have enough detail or quality to be worth digging into. Maybe I haven't heard enough Bruno Mars, I do own plenty of Foo Fighters and some Slipknot, but frankly none of those seem really like targets for a detailed DAP. A warmer DAP might be better as I've said. Again, sorry if that sounds elitist as I'm really not, my musical tastes are extremely broad, but I'm answering in the context of somebody investing in expensive, revealing audio gear and I stick to my position in that vein, I really don't see the value in it. Plenty of options out there past either of the DAPs you mentioned considering, and even the humble smartphone can often sound great. I know my Blackberry Leap does and paired with an amp for rock and pop alone it would be just fine. Sorry for the rant.

A rare, brutal truth on Head-Fi. Spot on.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #4,683 of 16,328
When zx2 transport to mojo sounded worse than note 4 transported to mojo ? I call transport doesn't matter. Chord engineers confirmed that it doesn't matter, what matter is the OS, and the playback app.
Clarity, soundstage is in the favor of DP-x1 as a fact , yes, not personal opinion. Because properly implemented balanced connection in fact is superior to Single ended connection which is Mojo. Onkyo has 1 DAC and 1 Op-amp per channel for Balanced.

Now, subjectively, up on your taste, you may prefer the other way around ? Who know, but good balanced - better than good single ended, as Fact, period.

We shall agree to disagree :)

Chord also claims that single ended is better than balanced when done right, and claims that their measurements show it very significantly :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4,684 of 16,328
I am not sure it's so clear cut although balance does provide benefits in terms of soundstage and separation I'll grant you that, but to my ears Mojo is just amazingly good even single ended. I think we can only say that the same gear will sound better balanced than single ended, for instance DP-X1 is better balanced although not by as big a margin as I would have thought (contrary to my PHA-3 where it was just night and day).

Now I am looking at ALO CDM because it provides a balanced out, I'll confess :) (and also because tubes, well, always wanted to give it a shot...)

Well said, David

And as for the CDM, it's fantastic. Displaced my Hugo as main DAP-buddy. I like the warmth and to my ears - musicality of tubes, and I'm a huge fan of a wide soundstage and separation, so the balanced out on the CDM is just another plus (as it is on the Onkyo when I use it standalone).

The CDM also sounds amazing with an iPhone (6) as transport by the way. Just make sure u try some different tubes as they do make a difference.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #4,685 of 16,328
Well said, David

And as for the CDM, it's fantastic. Displaced my Hugo as main DAP-buddy. I like the warmth and to my ears - musicality of tubes, and I'm a huge fan of a wide soundstage and separation, so the balanced out on the CDM is just another plus (as it is on the Onkyo when I use it standalone).

The CDM also sounds amazing with an iPhone (6) as transport by the way. Just make sure u try some different tubes as they do make a difference.

Thanks for the feedback on CDM, it should match my taste quite well, I gave a look at the CDM as my Mojo is out for repair and I have no word on when I'll get it back... I might sell it once it's back depending on how it pairs with the NightHawks and T8ie. Yep, I have heard tube rolling was something worth testing out as tubes are not so expensive and can significantly affect sound. We shall see! Right now I am enjoying DP-X1 as it is :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #4,686 of 16,328
Well said, David

How about radio interference (EMI) between iPhone and CDM? I have heard CDM is quite sensitive to it...

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,687 of 16,328
Well said, David

How about radio interference (EMI) between iPhone and CDM? I have heard CDM is quite sensitive to it...

Correct. It can be quite sensitive to interference (same with the Android-based Onkyo). Which makes the case for having a standalone transport stronger - if I get too much EMI i just put the Onkyo into flight mode, something that's obviously possible with an actual smartphone, but does render the latter rather useless and somewhat undermines its primary purpose!

I do find with the CDM that moving the transport even a few cm away can stop any interference. But when stacked, you definitely hear it from time to time.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #4,688 of 16,328
That's mine delivered, so far no customs charges. Tracker says cleared from customs and no bill from parcelforce, am aware though that a bill could turn up later.

Nice bit of kit, nice size in the hand and feels well built. Updates to Android now downloading.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #4,689 of 16,328
That's mine delivered, so far no customs charges. Tracker says cleared from customs and no bill from parcelforce, am aware though that a bill could turn up later.

Nice bit of kit, nice size in the hand and feels well built. Updates to Android now downloading.

Congrats, enjoy!

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,690 of 16,328
Hi all, just curious as to whether anyone has tried either the Noble Savant IEM's or any of the JH-Audio/A&K Siren series with the DP-X1 (in either SE or Balanced, but preferably the latter or both)?

With regards to the Noble Savant, a website says it: "utilises a Westone 2 pin socket connection and is a 4 cable braided construct with individual plastic wrapping with a rather basic plastic
‘Y-split’ tube and a second short tube for chin locking". With this in mind, what would I need to do to make it compatible with the DP-X1 in balanced mode?
And ideally, could I also get a separate set of detachable cables which are SE, so that I can use Balanced for the Onkyo but (for example) SE on a Chord Mojo?

Of the JH-Audio siren series that I've demoed, I liked the Roxanne's best (more than the Angie, albeit on a quick listen).
I can't afford either at this time, but they've recently released the new Rosie model at around £799 (UK).
Apparently, it comes with Balanced cables (A&K compatible, hence compatible also with DP-X1 I assume) as well as a set of SE cables too.

The basic model of Noble Savant is around half the price of the Rosie. Having tried neither, I can't comment on sound quality/signature between the two. Can anyone?
But if the Noble could also have balanced and SE cables, then it's also a question of sound quality vs the Rosie, and synergy between both IEM's and the DP-X1 and Mojo.

Thanks for your thoughts, and apologies in advance for any mistakes or misapprehensions I may have made! :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #4,691 of 16,328
  Hi all, just curious as to whether anyone has tried either the Noble Savant IEM's or any of the JH-Audio/A&K Siren series with the DP-X1 (in either SE or Balanced, but preferably the latter or both)?

With regards to the Noble Savant, a website says it: "utilises a Westone 2 pin socket connection and is a 4 cable braided construct with individual plastic wrapping with a rather basic plastic
‘Y-split’ tube and a second short tube for chin locking". With this in mind, what would I need to do to make it compatible with the DP-X1 in balanced mode?
And ideally, could I also get a separate set of detachable cables which are SE, so that I can use Balanced for the Onkyo but (for example) SE on a Chord Mojo?

Of the JH-Audio siren series that I've demoed, I liked the Roxanne's best (more than the Angie, albeit on a quick listen).
I can't afford either at this time, but they've recently released the new Rosie model at around £799 (UK).
Apparently, it comes with Balanced cables (A&K compatible, hence compatible also with DP-X1 I assume) as well as a set of SE cables too.

The basic model of Noble Savant is around half the price of the Rosie. Having tried neither, I can't comment on sound quality/signature between the two. Can anyone?
But if the Noble could also have balanced and SE cables, then it's also a question of sound quality vs the Rosie, and synergy between both IEM's and the DP-X1 and Mojo.

Thanks for your thoughts, and apologies in advance for any mistakes or misapprehensions I may have made! :)

With regards to the cable, any 4-wire cable can be re-terminated to 2.5mm balanced, just get a DIYer to do it for you (And yes, the DP-X1 uses the same wiring configuration as the AK players)
It is also possible to get an adapter to use your balanced cable on SE, but not the other way around.
You would be looking for an adapter such as this: http://www.null-audio.com/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,692 of 16,328
Just got my DP-X1 today and currently charging up for listening later. However, my balanced socket does have a gap and it's similar to other photos posted on the thread. It does feel fairly tight when I tried connecting to my balanced cable. Only thing I will add is that I don't feel there is much play with the fit once connected and I do not think the outer ring has anything to do with the tight fit since the tightness feel starts with about 75% of inserting my Ediolic 2.5mm connector. Overall feels pretty solid to me, but it's only been a few minutes of test. X1 logo is yellow if that matters.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,693 of 16,328
@bflat Congrats :)

The resistance plugging and unplugging on the balanced socket has greatly improved for me, it's now "normal" and not as tight.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,694 of 16,328
never mind. Sigh...

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #4,695 of 16,328
Not many bands can help you out find the limits of your DAC lime Mastodon. I listened to their latest album on my TH-X00s straight from DP-X1 SE and it is, frankly, a bit of a mess. There's so much texture, riffs everywhere and that animal on the drums that poor thing fell apart. Occasionally there was sibilance in there... The Mojo though, no sweat. All instruments are clearly defined, voices sound better and the whole thing makes sense. I doubt going balanced on this particular album would make much difference but I'll try it out regardless. The DAP is great though, very convenient on the go by itself. However, don't kid yourself thinking you get Mojo like sound computing power out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back