ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 9, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,921 of 16,326

Alright, so after half a day of using it here are some thoughts on the player:

-As mentioned by others, this thing is built superbly. Not as heavy as my ZX2 but feels exceptionally well built; the metal body has no play anywhere and the volume wheel has a nicely damped resistance.
-It is surprisingly ergonomic; yes, it's large, but it's also rather thin and fits into slim jeans pockets easily. If you can operate an iPhone 6 with one hand the DP-X1 can be operated in a similar fashion.
-Sonically, this player is on the warm neutral side, following Onkyo's hifi signature. Exceptionally black background and good resolution (which I feel will improve even further with more run time), and a massive soundstage paired with punchy but extremely tight bass which straddles the line between fun and reference brilliantly from the balanced output. Single ended ACG mode sacrifices a noticeable amount of soundstage size plus airiness and bloats the bass slightly, in addition to a haze shrouding some micro details especially in the mids. This player needs to be used out of the balanced jack for it to truly shine. Don't get me wrong though, out of single ended this thing already sounds great and slightly edges out my ZX2 (which I still love despite all the mud slinging it has been getting in this thread recently). Also, the sound settings in the stock app really do make a difference; adjusting the Lock Range Adjustment (jitter rejection in plain English) to the tightest setting noticeably improved clarity. The EQ also looks extensive, although I never EQ my players so I've nothing to say in that regard.
-UI wise, the dreaded volume adjust lag is present, however I feel that previous reports may have exaggerated it slightly. It's there, but not that bad IMO. What is, though, is the half to 0.7 second delay in skipping tracks and the seeming inability to do gapless playback; the player adds a small but noticeable gap between tracks, making live recordings and other gapless pieces sound disjointed. Very annoying. And yes, no folder mode yada yada. Have never used folder mode on any DAP I've had so I couldn't care less.

To answer some questions asked, the DP-X1 uses one DAC in standard SE mode (if I am not mistaken) and both DACs in both ACG and Balanced mode. This is worth letting go of the ZX2 for, however it is less warm/lush sounding so you'll have to bear that in mind if you're switching. And yes, I'll do a side by side comparo with some other DAPs once I find the time to head to e-earphone again.

PS. The pre-installed screen protector has the stupid "Protection Sheet" marking on it which is an absolute eyesore...

Just sold my zx2 today and quite happy with your impression. So Does Onkyo have noticeably better sound than ZX2? like micro detail and soundstage?

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,923 of 16,326
  Yes it does, especially so in those two areas if you use the balanced out.

but not better in Single-ended? I'm afraid Balanced mode will eat up the battery real quick that it can't even last up to 8hrs. Don't you think?

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,924 of 16,326
  but not better in Single-ended? I'm afraid Balanced mode will eat up the battery real quick that it can't even last up to 8hrs. Don't you think?

Single ended already sounds more resolving than the ZX2. Take this with a pinch of salt, though, as I don't have my ZX2 anymore and this is based on memory. I will compare them side by side when I get the chance.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,925 of 16,326

Just saw a screen protector for Onkyo/Pioneer on Twitter. It cost 2,400 Yen and available at Fujiya Avic.

CR: https://twitter.com/eear_ippei/status/673087876242935808

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,926 of 16,326

Alright, so after half a day of using it here are some thoughts on the player:

-As mentioned by others, this thing is built superbly. Not as heavy as my ZX2 but feels exceptionally well built; the metal body has no play anywhere and the volume wheel has a nicely damped resistance.
-It is surprisingly ergonomic; yes, it's large, but it's also rather thin and fits into slim jeans pockets easily. If you can operate an iPhone 6 with one hand the DP-X1 can be operated in a similar fashion.
-Sonically, this player is on the warm neutral side, following Onkyo's hifi signature. Exceptionally black background and good resolution (which I feel will improve even further with more run time), and a massive soundstage paired with punchy but extremely tight bass which straddles the line between fun and reference brilliantly from the balanced output. Single ended ACG mode sacrifices a noticeable amount of soundstage size plus airiness and bloats the bass slightly, in addition to a haze shrouding some micro details especially in the mids. This player needs to be used out of the balanced jack for it to truly shine. Don't get me wrong though, out of single ended this thing already sounds great and slightly edges out my ZX2 (which I still love despite all the mud slinging it has been getting in this thread recently). Also, the sound settings in the stock app really do make a difference; adjusting the Lock Range Adjustment (jitter rejection in plain English) to the tightest setting noticeably improved clarity. The EQ also looks extensive, although I never EQ my players so I've nothing to say in that regard.
-UI wise, the dreaded volume adjust lag is present, however I feel that previous reports may have exaggerated it slightly. It's there, but not that bad IMO. What is, though, is the half to 0.7 second delay in skipping tracks and the seeming inability to do gapless playback; the player adds a small but noticeable gap between tracks, making live recordings and other gapless pieces sound disjointed. Very annoying. And yes, no folder mode yada yada. Have never used folder mode on any DAP I've had so I couldn't care less.

To answer some questions asked, the DP-X1 uses one DAC in standard SE mode (if I am not mistaken) and both DACs in both ACG and Balanced mode. This is worth letting go of the ZX2 for, however it is less warm/lush sounding so you'll have to bear that in mind if you're switching. And yes, I'll do a side by side comparo with some other DAPs once I find the time to head to e-earphone again.

PS. The pre-installed screen protector has the stupid "Protection Sheet" marking on it which is an absolute eyesore...

Please do a side by side comparison with the other top contender Fiio X7.  I like how the DP-X1 has dual micro sd slots.  Does it have removable/swappable amp modules like the Fiio X7 too?  

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,927 of 16,326
I've briefly listened to Onkyo vs my ZX2 that has more than 100 hours on it...

For me ZX2 was the clear winner. A tad more bassy, more spacious sounding, better treble extension and better UI... But the sound differences could be due to Onkyo not being burned in properly... I don't know..

My only problem with the zx2 is the output power. It's ok for the sensitive iems.. But other than that ... Good Luck...

I'm looking forward for the Sonys succsesor to the zx2... Wish they can implement a stronger amp inside... Than it would be a game changer. Any idea when this will come out?

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,928 of 16,326
  I've briefly listened to Onkyo vs my ZX2 that has more than 100 hours on it...

For me ZX2 was the clear winner. A tad more bassy, more spacious sounding, better treble extension and better UI... But the sound differences could be due to Onkyo not being burned in properly... I don't know..

My only problem with the zx2 is the output power. It's ok for the sensitive iems.. But other than that ... Good Luck...

I'm looking forward for the Sonys succsesor to the zx2... Wish they can implement a stronger amp inside... Than it would be a game changer. Any idea when this will come out?

I'm not surprise. ZX2 is much more expensive than DP-X1 and it should sound better or else it will be a big disappointment. However, on everything else DP-X1 is a clear winner (Balanced, 2 SD Slots , Screen Resolution, Ram, etc.) For its price, I'm quite sure DP-X1 is a great deal for Android DAP.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #1,929 of 16,326
Actually for the screen protector, I didn't use any of them since iPhone 4s days. Just don't put anything on your pocket with it and don't drop of course and you'd be fine. I'm using 6s now raw ( is war ) hehe

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,930 of 16,326
Actually for the screen protector, I didn't use any of them since iPhone 4s days. Just don't put anything on your pocket with it and don't drop of course and you'd be fine. I'm using 6s now raw ( is war ) hehe

I want a case for DP-X1. Dropped my iPhone5s twice and it got a scratch since I put no case on it lol

Anyway, I heard the rumor that DP-X1 already out of stock at Onkyo Direct and Amazon.jp. Hope Pricejapan stocked some for us who already paid for it.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,931 of 16,326
I tried Hifiman Edition X with single ended, I just don't know what black magic Hifiman put into the headphone or the Onkyo just hit the sweet spot of synergy with it. I never thought it can drive that headphone with so much power and vast sound stage, it's a match made in heaven just like TG334 in balanced mode.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,932 of 16,326
It's been about a month since I sold my modded ZX2 so I'm relying on my memory but the balanced out of the DP-X1 is most definitely better sounding than the ZX2 even in dual ground TRRS mode. I'll give the ZX2 another go later this week.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,933 of 16,326
It's been about a month since I sold my modded ZX2 so I'm relying on my memory but the balanced out of the DP-X1 is most definitely better sounding than the ZX2 even in dual ground TRRS mode. I'll give the ZX2 another go later this week.

For a solely-iem user, why did you decide to sell such a more expensive dap ? it's also made for iem

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,934 of 16,326

For a solely-iem user, why did you decide to sell such a more expensive dap ? it's also made for iem

Because a friend whose ears I trust and who has a very similar taste as mine when it comes to IEMs took my MSZX2 to the Fujiya Avic festival couple of months back and did a side by side comparison, and immediately told me to sell it cause the DP-X1 had bettered it. Hahaha. One thing's for sure, the DP-X1's background noise is non existent as compared to the infernal hissing of the ZX2. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,935 of 16,326
  Because a friend whose ears I trust and who has a very similar taste as mine when it comes to IEMs took my MSZX2 to the Fujiya Avic festival couple of months back and did a side by side comparison, and immediately told me to sell it cause the DP-X1 had bettered it. Hahaha. One thing's for sure, the DP-X1's background noise is non existent as compared to the infernal hissing of the ZX2. 

Just a bit off topic, did your zx2 have over 300 hours of burnt-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back