ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,906 of 16,328
may i know from you guys if the onkyo dpx1 is the same player as the panasonic's new dap (xdp x100r)?

does the onkyo dap has optical out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic what?

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,907 of 16,328
Obviously it will also be a nice transport with the Hugo or CDM (once I work out the best connection choices).

I connect my DAPs to Hugo and Mojo with coax connection. Many with AK DAPs use Optical. Just checking first page specs, can't believe DPX1 has neither? USB creates complications with various leads and protocols, otg etc. Onkyo has a line out but the Chord DACs cannot use their amplifier separately and need a digital signal in. Strictly speaking they don't include amplifiers, that's why they don't distort the output from the DAC, they just have a gain stage.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,908 of 16,328
Originally Posted by audiocraze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, please let me know about the adaptor, I thought it is not possible to make Balanced out of SE wiring

Exact. Not possible.
Originally Posted by audiocraze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that you can only use an adapter to change Balanced wiring to SE wiring. Or can one indeed use any headphone and use it in balanced mode with such an adapter?

What he shows us is
  1. 3.5 balanced to 2.5 balanced
  2. 3.5 balanced to 3.5 SE

Personaly, I own 
  1. 2.5 balanced to 3.5 SE

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,912 of 16,328
Advices pls :) i have zx2 , should i sell it to get Onkyo? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,913 of 16,328
Dec 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,914 of 16,328
gearofwar, if you need more amp power to drive everything bigger than IEMs, I think you should sell zx2 without hesitation. When direct A/B multi reviews start to show up like mushrooms after rain, it's gonna be harder, much harder to sell Sony for a good price. Look at the market, Sony is already sold for 30% lower then a month ago. If you don't need the amp advantage and you love what you hear out of ZX2, stick with it. Based on my Sony ZX1 and Oppo HA-2 (same DAC) a/b comparison, Sony sounds more engaging and life-like. It's a great sounding device but it's overpriced and not versatile enough for a High-End DAP.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,915 of 16,328
Advices pls :) i have zx2 , should i sell it to get Onkyo? 

Prosecution is leading the witness!
I don't think anyone here has posted a subjective comparison (Dr Hiss has run the numbers, but we all know that SQ / sound sig is what the rest of us want to hear).

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,916 of 16,328
Just an FYI, I emailed Pricejapan about when they are going to start selling the Pioneer. 

I will notify you guys when I hear back from them.

Basically, I decided against the Onkyo. Balanced Out I can live without (don't have any balanced gear yet), but folder browsing natively in the stock player I cannot live without (won't use a third party player because then I can't use the handy transport buttons on the side of the dap.  And using a file browser to browse by folder doesn't work with the stock player)

At the same time, I could buy the Pioneer XDP-100R from a third-party seller on amazon.ca/amazon.com, but from that seller it is more expensive the Onkyo at pricejapan.com.   Not to mention I trust pricejapan.com, but random re-sellers on Amazon I have less confidence in.  That is why I emailed pricejapan.com

There are two legit retailers in the UK, but 500 GBP is like $1000 Canadian dollars, so, that is even way more than the resellers on Amazon.

I don't understand UK pricing.   1500 British pounds for the AK120ii....equals over $3000 Canadian dollars.   But here in Canada the AK120ii goes for like $2000 dollars max, and even last week it was on sale for $1300.  So I'm not sure what's up with that, but it ain't my problem.  I'll wait to buy mine from pricejapan.com before I pay UK prices. 

All this is starting to get really annoying.  I don't understand why Onkyo is doing such a half-assed job of getting these daps out there into the world markets.  The demand is there, but Onkyo doesn't seem to be too concerned about making money, I guess, because they are not trying very hard to meet that demand.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,917 of 16,328
  Just an FYI, I emailed Pricejapan about when they are going to start selling the Pioneer. 

I will notify you guys when I hear back from them.

Basically, I decided against the Onkyo. Balanced Out I can live without (don't have any balanced gear yet), but folder browsing natively in the stock player I cannot live without (won't use a third party player because then I can't use the handy transport buttons on the side of the dap.  And using a file browser to browse by folder doesn't work with the stock player)

At the same time, I could buy the Pioneer XDP-100R from a third-party seller on amazon.ca/amazon.com, but from that seller it is more expensive the Onkyo at pricejapan.com.   Not to mention I trust pricejapan.com, but random re-sellers on Amazon I have less confidence in.  That is why I emailed pricejapan.com

There are two legit retailers in the UK, but 500 GBP is like $1000 Canadian dollars, so, that is even way more than the resellers on Amazon.

I don't understand UK pricing.   1500 British pounds for the AK120ii....equals over $3000 Canadian dollars.   But here in Canada the AK120ii goes for like $2000 dollars max, and even last week it was on sale for $1300.  So I'm not sure what's up with that, but it ain't my problem.  I'll wait to buy mine from pricejapan.com before I pay UK prices. 

All this is starting to get really annoying.  I don't understand why Onkyo is doing such a half-assed job of getting these daps out there into the world markets.  The demand is there, but Onkyo doesn't seem to be too concerned about making money, I guess, because they are not trying very hard to meet that demand.

Yes audio gear in the uk is even more horribly priced than most other electronics (generally UK pricing is quite absurd, often equating to removing the $ sign and replacing it with a £ making everything 50% more expensive than US prices...). However when it comes to audio stuff the prices go even further up by not just replacing the sign but also adding to the dollar amount.... Pricejapan was quoting me some £370 for the Onkyo a few weeks back shipped.... Now even if I add customs/VAT/clearing charges I would be looking at a £470 that is £30 cheaper than the Pioneer in the UK...

So in the end I will wait to listen to the Pioneer at headroom hoping for discounts or maybe second hand units later in the year, not because I can't afford it, just because I feel getting ripped off royally! In any case I have funded the Echobox which will be a much more reasonable £200 all in... 

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,918 of 16,328

I don't understand UK pricing.

On the contrary, I think you've completely understood all you need to about UK pricing - i.e. That it completely sucks. Generally, we pay the USD price in GBP (though I've yet to work out what's so 'G' about it). So if something's $500 USD in the US (about £334 converted), we'll typically pay £500 ($750USD) for it in the UK.
We get completely ripped off most of the time - & it's worst on electronic goods.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,920 of 16,328

Alright, so after half a day of using it here are some thoughts on the player:

-As mentioned by others, this thing is built superbly. Not as heavy as my ZX2 but feels exceptionally well built; the metal body has no play anywhere and the volume wheel has a nicely damped resistance.
-It is surprisingly ergonomic; yes, it's large, but it's also rather thin and fits into slim jeans pockets easily. If you can operate an iPhone 6 with one hand the DP-X1 can be operated in a similar fashion.
-Sonically, this player is on the warm neutral side, following Onkyo's hifi signature. Exceptionally black background and good resolution (which I feel will improve even further with more run time), and a massive soundstage paired with punchy but extremely tight bass which straddles the line between fun and reference brilliantly from the balanced output. Single ended ACG mode sacrifices a noticeable amount of soundstage size plus airiness and bloats the bass slightly, in addition to a haze shrouding some micro details especially in the mids. This player needs to be used out of the balanced jack for it to truly shine. Don't get me wrong though, out of single ended this thing already sounds great and slightly edges out my ZX2 (which I still love despite all the mud slinging it has been getting in this thread recently). Also, the sound settings in the stock app really do make a difference; adjusting the Lock Range Adjustment (jitter rejection in plain English) to the tightest setting noticeably improved clarity. The EQ also looks extensive, although I never EQ my players so I've nothing to say in that regard.
-UI wise, the dreaded volume adjust lag is present, however I feel that previous reports may have exaggerated it slightly. It's there, but not that bad IMO. What is, though, is the half to 0.7 second delay in skipping tracks and the seeming inability to do gapless playback; the player adds a small but noticeable gap between tracks, making live recordings and other gapless pieces sound disjointed. Very annoying. And yes, no folder mode yada yada. Have never used folder mode on any DAP I've had so I couldn't care less.

To answer some questions asked, the DP-X1 uses one DAC in standard SE mode (if I am not mistaken) and both DACs in both ACG and Balanced mode. This is worth letting go of the ZX2 for, however it is less warm/lush sounding so you'll have to bear that in mind if you're switching. And yes, I'll do a side by side comparo with some other DAPs once I find the time to head to e-earphone again.

PS. The pre-installed screen protector has the stupid "Protection Sheet" marking on it which is an absolute eyesore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back