ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,876 of 16,328
Tidal hasn't implemented MQA right? I'm really curious whether they can deliver high fidelity stuff with relatively small file size without entering the territory of snake oil.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,877 of 16,328
Hello all, first headfi post though I've been following for a long time.

To my mind as a dedicated Tidal user, the fact that Tidal has adopted the new MQA technology (available early 2016 apparently) and that the DP-X1 supports this (as well as Tidal of course) is an absolute winner. Streaming hi res downloads and making them available offline on the c. 400gb of storage is what i have been waiting for all this time. Just hope the UI is good enough.

My question is do we know when it will be on sale in Europe? (and I have read a lot of the 1800 posts but not all so apologies if ive missed it!). Cheers.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,878 of 16,328
  Hello all, first headfi post though I've been following for a long time.

To my mind as a dedicated Tidal user, the fact that Tidal has adopted the new MQA technology (available early 2016 apparently) and that the DP-X1 supports this (as well as Tidal of course) is an absolute winner. Streaming hi res downloads and making them available offline on the c. 400gb of storage is what i have been waiting for all this time. Just hope the UI is good enough.

My question is do we know when it will be on sale in Europe? (and I have read a lot of the 1800 posts but not all so apologies if ive missed it!). Cheers.

Unfortunately, when it comes to availability outside of Japan, you know as much as we do.  Onkyo has been non-communicative throughout this entire process, and unofficially it seems like the Pioneer is getting the world release first (despite the fact that outside of Asia it can only be found at one British store in all of North America and Europe), and Onkyo is being released only in Japan, with no date slated for expanding distribution.  

If that isn't totally maddening, I don't know what is.   I don't know why Onkyo/Pioneer couldn't have a rep come by these threads and clear the air a little bit. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,879 of 16,328
@Jazzkammer Well just look how Onkyo and Pioneer got different software maturity, it's really mind boggling. The only Japanese company that really feels in harmony with each of their departments is Sony I think, other Japanese brands felt like they can make great hardware but crap software or vice versa.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,883 of 16,328
I paid Pricejapan on 20th November. No idea when I will receive it. Anybody?

28th November for me. They told me via email in the same day it may need 3-4 weeks due to huge pre-orders. But on the Pricejapan site they said it may need 5-6 weeks. In the current state I must say I will very happy if my DP-X1 arrives before 2016.

Oh, and the price is 641$, plus FedEx cost.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,884 of 16,328
@Peridot, just wanted to say thanks for your advice - I switched Tidal offline downloads to my micro SD card and it worked perfectly. So now I know I can have a couple of decent capacity cards in the DX-P1 and have loads of offline Tidal albums.
Thanks again.

No problem. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with this DAP ... it's very helpful.

I have a feeling that I may be ordering one in the her future :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,886 of 16,328
Unfortunately, when it comes to availability outside of Japan, you know as much as we do.  Onkyo has been non-communicative throughout this entire process, and unofficially it seems like the Pioneer is getting the world release first (despite the fact that outside of Asia it can only be found at one British store in all of North America and Europe), and Onkyo is being released only in Japan, with no date slated for expanding distribution.  

If that isn't totally maddening, I don't know what is.   I don't know why Onkyo/Pioneer couldn't have a rep come by these threads and clear the air a little bit. 

There are 2 stores in the UK, both custom-cable and richersounds have had the pioneer advertised for a few weeks on their respective websites and both habe in stock - incase anyone is shopping for one or wants to demo :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,887 of 16,328
@Peridot, just wanted to say thanks for your advice - I switched Tidal offline downloads to my micro SD card and it worked perfectly. So now I know I can have a couple of decent capacity cards in the DX-P1 and have loads of offline Tidal albums.

Thanks again.

@FidelityCastro
 interested to know how you got hold of your dp-x1??

I pre-ordered (Oct 24) from a website called pricejapan.
To be fair to them, they said that all orders after Oct 23 would be shipped after Dec 15. I got mine two days ago.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,889 of 16,328
I pre-ordered (Oct 24) from a website called pricejapan.

To be fair to them, they said that all orders after Oct 23 would be shipped after Dec 15. I got mine two days ago.

@FidelityCastro
 Lucky you. All good? Pleased with your purchase?

@muso - very pleased. Tidal is working flawlessly. Soundstage is nice and wide (I have been A/B-ing it with my IP6 and Tidal with same tracks and same IEMs and the smoothness and width of soundstage is a big uptick).
Obviously it will also be a nice transport with the Hugo or CDM (once I work out the best connection choices).

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,890 of 16,328
@muso - very pleased. Tidal is working flawlessly. Soundstage is nice and wide (I have been A/B-ing it with my IP6 and Tidal with same tracks and same IEMs and the smoothness and width of soundstage is a big uptick).
Obviously it will also be a nice transport with the Hugo or CDM (once I work out the best connection choices).

Wonderful. Just what I wanted to hear. Be interested as to how the chord/cdm affect SQ. Think I might be paying pricejapan a visit later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back