ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #916 of 16,326

No it will not work with other balanced termination from sony or hifiman, there is only one termination for the DP-X1's 2.5mm jack (same as AK's), but DP-X1 has two different amp output modes for the 2.5mm jack, with the flick of a button you can switch the amp output between normal balanced BTL: R-,R+,L,-L+, and ACG: Rg,R+,Lg,L+, they both use the same terminations, so with the same cable you will have two different sounding amp output modes to play with, pretty cool, no other dap has done this.

Interesting. I hope this thing gets an English manual. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #917 of 16,326

No it will not work with other balanced termination from sony or hifiman, there is only one termination for the DP-X1's 2.5mm jack (same as AK's), but DP-X1 has two different amp output modes for the 2.5mm jack, with the flick of a button you can switch the amp output between normal balanced BTL: R-,R+,L,-L+, and ACG: Rg,R+,Lg,L+, they both use the same terminations, so with the same cable you will have two different sounding amp output modes to play with, pretty cool, no other dap has done this.

Thought the ACG feature was for the 3.5mm output to enhance sound when not using the balanced 2.5mm. 

Might be fun changing modes just for kicks but I can't imagine the ACG sounds better than full balanced.

Btw, who even has cables with a 2.5mm TRRS connector that's not balanced?

EDIT: just read about the Onkyo (and Pioneer) here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/11/onkyo-dp-x1-pioneer-xdp-100r-dominate-fujiya-avic-2015/

says:
"The Onkyo DAP (JPY69,800) doubles up on the Pioneer’s single (-ended) ESS 9018K2M decoding chip for 2.5mm TRSS balanced output (150mW into 32 Ohms) as well as something called Active Ground Control mode that sees the DP-X1’s twin decoders run in serial when dispensing a single-ended signal (75mW into 32 Ohms) via its 3.5mm socket."

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #919 of 16,326

Thought the ACG feature was for the 3.5mm output to enhance sound when not using the balanced 2.5mm. 

Might be fun changing modes just for kicks but I can't imagine the ACG sounds better than full balanced.

The ACG is actually similar to my experiment in 2011:

Earfonia Pseudo Balanced Amplifier (PBA)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553236/pseudo-balanced-amplifier-pba

In my experiment, the Pseudo Balanced or ACG concept does improve the sound quality as compared to the passive ground. But I didn't compare with full balanced topology.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #920 of 16,326
What worries me is that it is very thin. In general depth of Soundstage is proportional to thickness of the DAP. At least it works for the 901 and Lotoo
biggrin.gif

indeed :)

901 vs LPG which one in better?
and which one is better in depth? *i never try 901*

im buying this onkyo LOL i hope it could sound better than either 901 or LPG :D

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #921 of 16,326

Onkyo website says you can switch the balanced connection between BTL and ACG mode, which means it will work for 2.5mm, but I have seen an article mention 3.5mm and ACG, would be an awesome setup for SQ gains in single ended, here's hoping both 2.5mm and 3.5mm have ACG.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #923 of 16,326
I don't know guys but all of the sudden (the last 2-3 days) the audiophile community near me somehow got hyped for this DAP. We've been waiting like crazy for the past 3-4 weeks, I guess Onkyo really wants to strike this out with the whole "we're trying to bring down the price of DAP" bravado from that Fujiya video.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #924 of 16,326
  I don't know guys but all of the sudden (the last 2-3 days) the audiophile community near me somehow got hyped for this DAP. We've been waiting like crazy for the past 3-4 weeks, I guess Onkyo really wants to strike this out with the whole "we're trying to bring down the price of DAP" bravado from that Fujiya video.

This would be my first DAP and I have been holding out for a while. Did not like the Sony ZX2 based on reviews and I did not like the price of the AK240 or the AK380 especially since I need to buy good headphones and a really good IEM.

This has brought me down to the Onkyo DP-X1 or the Questyle QP1R, which is getting rave reviews. I am waiting for this DAP to get in people's hands so a review will be published before I make up my mind. There are zero stores within at least a 100 mile radius that carry these devices so I can't test them before buying.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #925 of 16,326
  This would be my first DAP and I have been holding out for a while. Did not like the Sony ZX2 based on reviews and I did not like the price of the AK240 or the AK380 especially since I need to buy good headphones and a really good IEM.

This has brought me down to the Onkyo DP-X1 or the Questyle QP1R, which is getting rave reviews. I am waiting for this DAP to get in people's hands so a review will be published before I make up my mind. There are zero stores within at least a 100 mile radius that carry these devices so I can't test them before buying.

Waiting is very frustrating for sure. I prepaid and have at least 20 days more to wait, maybe even longer.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #926 of 16,326

I haven't heard the Onkyo or Questyle Daps either, but having lived with the Fiio X1 for over half a year now, I am telling you to go for the Onkyo and don't look back.  Touch-screen Android daps are the way of the future.   Jog-wheels are a pain in the rear.  

I am sure the Questyle dap is one of the best sounding daps out there, but there is more to a dap than sound quality.  It's gotta have a functional and comfortable and intuitive GUI and controls.   Lack of power can be made up for with a portable amp.   And for most people, they just use IEMS or CIEMS on the go, for which the Onkyo is more than powerful enough.   Portable amp is a pain in the rear too, but I only use it at home with my DAP when I wear full size cans.

I don't understand people who have a problem carrying around a portable amp, and yet they have no problem wearing full size hard-to-drive cans in portable situations.  Which is more cumbersome?

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #927 of 16,326

Jog-wheels are a pain in the rear.  

Spare me the horror, Lotoo PAW Gold/5000 and Cayin N5 wheel were horrible, I just can't describe how frustrating for $300+ items have that kind of clunky interface, at least give us some buttons instead. I've used QP1R for a bit, yes it sounds great but by the gods that interface and scroll mechanism. I understand the sound of QP1R might make up for the crap interface but seriously, $1000 for clunky UX and half baked folder browser is kinda questionable, why can't they just use sliders or buttons? No need for fancy stuff, I mean I sure don't parade my note 4 for people to see not to mention a DAP.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #928 of 16,326

I don't understand people who have a problem carrying around a portable amp, and yet they have no problem wearing full size hard-to-drive cans in portable situations.  Which is more cumbersome?

LOL, well I don't want a separate amp because the connecting cables always develop shorts no matter how careful you are. That is a pain in the ass. Still I'm feeling what your saying. Often having headphones on a crowded bus, or while out shopping is a pain, but they sound so much better, plus you don't need to stick crap in your ear, that is just yucky
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #929 of 16,326
  I believe I read somewhere that the UI has English as an option. I know the Pioneer version could be selected in English. The user manual is likely more of a concern...

I don't imagine this would be the case. You develop a code bass once to cover all the potential markets. There would be little reason to not just have all the languages ready to go as there is little chance Onkyo would skip the large affluent English markets.

Of course it will have English, it is running on Android, there is always an English language option.

Thanks guys, I have pre-ordered too, now the wait...
  From where did you see that it is a Japan Exclusive? Mind linking it?

I believe the Onkyo will be sold only in Japan (with dual output), and the Pioneer variant will be worldwide with only single output, I could be wrong though...

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #930 of 16,326

Thanks guys, I have pre-ordered too, now the wait...

I believe the Onkyo will be sold only in Japan (with dual output), and the Pioneer variant will be worldwide with only single output, I could be wrong though...

I am not sure if this site is all correct but it says:
"The Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R will each be available worldwide from mid-late November but with the Onkyo device coming in at JPY10,000 more than its Pioneer cousin, I’d peg the former as having the stronger market potential."

I hope it is really like what it says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back