ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 14, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #481 of 16,326
I love all this cautionary "we don't know what it will sound like."

It will sound great. It's a dedicated DAP with top notch dacs and amps.  Not everyone reads into a DAP's sound quality as much as other people.  Like for example, people claiming that the sound "opened up" and a "veil lifted" and the "soundstage widened" when they went from 3.5 mm to 2.5 balanced, or when they upgraded to AK120ii from AK100ii....sorry, but no that did not happen.  It's called confirmation bias. It's nice that you feel that way, but that doesn't mean it's true. You can believe your ears all you want, but I don't believe anyone else's ears but my own, especially when I read all the ludicrous claims by audiohiles/head-fiers that overstate the smallest differences.  I put no stock in the opinions of such people, when everyone knows such findings would never pass the double blind A-B-X test.   The rest of the world doesn't put stock in the entire audiophile industry because of such people, I might add.

Those are the same people who are claiming we don't know if the Onkyo and Pioneer are any good because "sound quality" and to that, I say, suit yourself.  When I want better sound quality I upgrade my headphones and (sometimes) amplifier, not DACS or DAPS or interconnects/cables.  These daps are a godsend for me.  And to think, a few months ago I was considering the AK Jr! Ha, see ya never AK.  

At the same time, though, I think user Kawaivpc1 might be getting a bit ahead of himself.  First of all, some things don't add up.  Why is the Pioneer still listed at 500 British pounds for preorder online?  Why were the Pioneer reps so wrong about the Onkyo's release date at Canjam RMAF?  Why are these new prices different from what the prices were projected at beforehand?   Something doesn't add up.  Also, there is no way these things will be an AK380 or 240 killer.  Make no mistake, if it was cost-no object, I would still go for the TOTL AK players for their amazing balanced accessories and amp docks (ak380) and know full well that I had better sound quality than an Onkyo or Pioneer.   There is just no way these things will sound as good as an AK380.  But for me, that doesn't matter too much.  But let's not pretend otherwise.  

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #482 of 16,326
Speaking of dx100, how does it hold up against modern DAPs? Was thinking of hooting a more powerful DAP since apparently everything I own is rather power hungry. So far im looking at cowon P1, dx100, dp-X1, ARM2, hm901 and QP1R. Does the dx100 drive the ex1000 well enough?

OT a bit, how'd you keep your ex1000 in such good condition? Saw it around your neck while you were at for a while MS a few days ago. My paint is alr visibly flaking on one side

The ancient brick still holds up surprisingly well in terms of pure sound quality. Power wise, it beats P1, HM901 and everything from AK with ease. QP1R matches its power. 
It handles the EX-1000 with loads of power left to spare. This brick can drive the 300 ohm HD800/ 650/ 600 with authority.

My EX-1000 isn't in that good condition, the outer magnesium paint is peeling. Many EX-1000 owners have the same issue. But it sings female vocals so well, I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #483 of 16,326
I want to make the last opinion regarding pricing on new dap and technologies.

1/ off the shelves products and only require minimal R&D to make a product = shall not be too expensive...unless made by gold and silver or diamond

2/ in house designed and engineered with company own technologies = justified pricing, such as Hugo, Sony...etc. The more components and design the company had done it within the house, the higher the cost is going to be. We all have to pay for the niche, and unique R&D that were put into it.

On top of that, the experiences, and the quality would be the ultimate result. There are plenty of devices that uses the same DAC but sounds different, and quality is different. A Camry engine in a Camry is a Camry....but if it is in the Lotus....then it is not the Camry...is it ? If Lotus were to develop their own engine and not having to buy off the shelves from Toyota, their prices would be 3-4x as expensive than they are now.

I feel really bad about those companies that only use off themselves products and minimal efforts but charge 3-4x times than they should. Case in point, would you buy Lotus, if the car price was to be 3-4x the way it is now ? Doubt it.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #484 of 16,326
Another fact to correct on the DX100, its battery lasts 8hrs, unless you're feeding power hungry cans like the ones Joe-Siow mentioned; then it will go down to 4~5hrs. But it power them with more authority than any DAP currently on the market during that time.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #485 of 16,326
The ancient brick still holds up surprisingly well in terms of pure sound quality. Power wise, it beats P1, HM901 and everything from AK with ease. QP1R matches its power. 
It handles the EX-1000 with loads of power left to spare. This brick can drive the 300 ohm HD800/ 650/ 600 with authority.

My EX-1000 isn't in that good condition, the outer magnesium paint is peeling. Many EX-1000 owners have the same issue. But it sings female vocals so well, I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Hmm... wonder where in sg can listen to one since it aint sold anymore... saw a few dx100s for sale recently but all look pretty beat up and I don't have the cash... at least not for a few months

Oic. Thought they looked okay. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive about the paint chipping on mine haha

Edit: also considering the chord mojo to pair with my ak100 gold. The mojo seems to be one of the most exciting releases yet

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #486 of 16,326

The ancient brick (DX100) still holds up surprisingly well in terms of pure sound quality. Power wise, it beats P1, HM901 and everything from AK with ease. QP1R matches its power. 

Nah there is no way QP1R is anywhere near DX100 in power, DX100 has double the voltage output with 4V max output at the headphone jack, and QP1R is 1.9V output. QP1R power output is similar (or lower) compared to many other daps like Pono, ak120ii, DX90, X5ii, etc.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #487 of 16,326
Hmm... wonder where in sg can listen to one since it aint sold anymore... saw a few dx100s for sale recently but all look pretty beat up and I don't have the cash... at least not for a few months

Oic. Thought they looked okay. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive about the paint chipping on mine haha

Edit: also considering the chord mojo to pair with my ak100 gold. The mojo seems to be one of the most exciting releases yet
mine on sale and hardly used. Selling cause of size but sounds great.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #489 of 16,326
Ahh... if only I had the cash, my friend. Just got out of a spending spree that has obliterated my measly student bank account
Ha I totally understand that situation. Im just getting rid of my stuff that have been stored in a suit case to buy more stuff. DX100 has best sound but hard to put in pocket.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #490 of 16,326

Nah there is no way QP1R is anywhere near DX100 in power, DX100 has double the voltage output with 4V max output at the headphone jack, and QP1R is 1.9V output. QP1R power output is similar (or lower) compared to many other daps like Pono, ak120ii, DX90, X5ii, etc.

the ancient brick DX100 indeed sounds good... it sounds nearly as good as my pro audio desktop gear's headphone out. 
However, its firmware and touchscreen are likely using mid 2000's technology... 
Also, it lasts for very short time. 
Archos 5 from 2010 has similar quality touchscreen which eventually made it discontinued in one year. 
iBasso guys tried to save too much on iBasso's hardware and OS...I sold mine in three months. It sounded good but I concluded that it's not usable outside unless I stop 20 minutes and focus on fixing it every time on street.
They're making DX200 (DX100 mk II).. but it will be a waste of time unless they can beat DP-X1.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #491 of 16,326
the ancient brick DX100 indeed sounds good... it sounds nearly as good as my pro audio desktop gear's headphone out. 
However, its firmware and touchscreen are likely using mid 2000's technology... 
Also, it lasts for very short time. 
Archos 5 from 2010 has similar quality touchscreen which eventually made it discontinued in one year. 
iBasso guys tried to save too much on iBasso's hardware and OS...I sold mine in three months. It sounded good but I concluded that it's not usable outside unless I stop 20 minutes and focus on fixing it every time on street.
They're making DX200 (DX100 mk II).. but it will be waste of time unless they can beat DP-X1.
Ha but touch screen is very accurate.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #492 of 16,326
According to Yahoo Japan:

"Onkyo and Pioneer Innovations October 14, announced the new product of the digital audio player each from both brands. While sharing a design concept and member, brother models each feature is also added. In will be released in late November, "XDP-100R" of Pioneer actual sales ¥ 59,800 before and after, Onkyo corresponding to the balance drive of headphones "DP-X1" is expected to be around ¥ 69,800 (excluding tax) ."

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20151014-00000110-zdn_lp-prod

59,800 Yen is $501 (XDP-100R)

69,800 Yen is $584 (DP-X1)

This was their headline today.
If the sellers are charging more than this price, they're likely charging for foreign taxes or just trying to make more money by putting on pre-order earlier than other sellers. Their price difference is indeed only 80 dollars... this is very surprising. I think they're just variants based on the same circuit board.

http://headphones.ua/ru/article/318-review-onkyo-dp-x1-buy-Kiev

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/news/newproducts/audio/dp_x1/DP-X1.pdf

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #493 of 16,326
^ Yes they share the exact same circuit boards and are built in the same factory, the Pioneer dap just has some blank spaces on it's PCB where the DP-X1 has the second DAC and AMP circuits, and 2.5mm port.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #494 of 16,326
Seems planing to get DP-X1 will be more worth than to get XDP-100R. Just because the dual DAC chip but balanced output is unnecessary for me. Also i am interested in XDP-100R's battery time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back