ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 14, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #466 of 16,326

I'm imagining that half of the people here are pushing their wallet to their computer screen right now.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #467 of 16,326
Zx2 doesn't use off the shelves DAC. They engineer it in the house with pure Class D technology....so these are both different kind of DAP. But considering the pricing value, yes....ZX2 costs much more

Not just much more... now they cost twice the price of pioneer and onkyo daps... 
Consider touchscreen, UI, OS, CPU, wi-fi, microSD card slots, etc. 
Sony has done nothing better...It's about time for them to leave the game or drop their price greatly...

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #468 of 16,326
Zx2 doesn't use off the shelves DAC. They engineer it in the house with pure Class D technology....so these are both different kind of DAP. But considering the pricing value, yes....ZX2 costs much more

I think you are wasting energy....these guys are only worried about price and features on paper.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #470 of 16,326
  What I mean is ,XDP-100R same as DP-X1?

Nope.
XDP-100R has only one dac chip. It supports max 24bit.
Onkyo DP-X1 has dual dac chips. It supports max 32bit. 
Onkyo DP-X1 is smaller than 100R. Also, DP-X1 is a little bit more expensive ($40). Both will come out in late November this year.
I think they will eventually become $550 or less in few months. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #472 of 16,326
  What I mean is ,XDP-100R same as DP-X1?

Imo the most important features DP-X1 has that XD-100R misses out on are:

DP-X1 will have balanced output.
DP-X1 will be twice as powerful as XDP-100R when balanced due to BTL topology. Pioneer is 75mW, Onkyo is 150mW (balanced).
DP-X1 will have ACG (Active Control Ground), which is a new tech that has potential to increase SQ.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #473 of 16,326

I'm imagining that half of the people here are pushing their wallet to their computer screen right now.

Totally me. And sadly my monitor's not helpful. :p

Only if you want to pay $1200.
You can buy both Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs for that money...ZX2 has only one microSD card slot and worse UI, touchscreen, wi-fi, design, CPU, OS. 
ZX2 is already out of the league as well unless Sony drops its price down to $300. If ZX3 costs $1500, Sony's DAP department will bankrupt in two weeks.
You can find a new ZX2 for around €700 new. Yes it's still more expensive than the Onkyo but not double.

You seem to forget that others have their own priority rankings. Some value sound quality over UI or storage. And are willing to pay whatever the cost to get it. More power (and money to them).

ZX2 can last for ways more than that :D if battery is your main thing. Though, how does DP X1 compare to ZX2 in sound quality ?

Sony's battery is still reigning king. :D
In my case, it doesn't have to be better SQ than the ZX2. I'd even be content if it's better than the X5ii and like the X7.

One of my equation will be: is the massive loss of battery for switching from the ZX2 to the DP-X1 countered by the convenience of its faster UI, and will the balanced output be noticeable to me and provide a blacker background. The ZX2 being hissy with sensitive iem.
Edit: And not forget the 75mW or 150mW (B) vs the 35mW of the ZX2. More pairing options opening up.

Looking forward to my three way ZX2 / X7 / DP-X1 :popcorn:

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #474 of 16,326
You can find a new ZX2 for around €700 new. Yes it's still more expensive than the Onkyo but not double.

A used or open box DP-X1 can be $400 or even less....
I imagine, a used 100R will sell for $370 on Ebay in two months.
ZX2 costs twice the price in any condition.
Forget about Sony. Unless they release a ZX3 for $300, I won't buy from them again for the rest of my life.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #475 of 16,326
I think you are wasting energy....these guys are only worried about price and features on paper.

Actually, I've given up trying to communicate with Kawaivpc1. No offence to him.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #476 of 16,326
I wonder why the world buys Ferraris and Rolexes and truffles and and ...

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #477 of 16,326
And again, why is it that all nuance is obliterated because of this price point? I as well am pleasantly surprised by this news. And I expect these products to fare well if they sound reasonably good and with that feature set. But statements about how this will be an product X- or product Y-killer are IMO preliminary, at least until there are 'some' impressions on sound quality. I'm not big on the AK-bashing (or any other company in that respect) as well. They capitalised on a market (and daresay broadened) the market of DAP's. Surely, if these new competitors like DP-X1, X7 and others prove to be worthy contesters for the AK dominance, I will totally applaud that. But I think this market in this day and age allows for a lot of competitors. Who knows, maybe this will force AK to choose a new strategy, still at the top but maybe a little less expensive, or maybe they just stay where they are. I think the asian market is different from the market in the U.S and Europe. Moreover I hope that most of these companies will survive, because competition is the best a consumer can get. 

Also feature set aside, some people will always want the best in terms of SQ, even if it's only perceived as a 10% or 5% gain. Just let your wallet speak.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #480 of 16,326
Kawaivpc1, are you not getting a bit carried away? We have no idea what it will sound like, specs mean very little. Besides the AK240 battery last way longer than 4 hours. Of course the Onkyo seems like a good deal. But the Cowon P1 is also a much better deal than AK DAPs and the AK380 still sell like hotcakes.
I love the P1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back