ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 16,326
Personally I wish this was smaller in form factor to make it more pocketable and optical as the means to do dac out, I'm just not a big fan of USB audio out because of the power draw of some dac amps out there. I wouldn't be using it much that way, mainly just a device to use to test gear at meets if possible. Other than that, it checks off many of the boxes I want from the 240 which I was gonna upgrade my 100ii to.

This is definitely catching my attention.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 16,326
Personally I wish this was smaller in form factor to make it more pocketable and optical as the means to do dac out, I'm just not a big fan of USB audio out because of the power draw of some dac amps out there. I wouldn't be using it much that way, mainly just a device to use to test gear at meets if possible. Other than that, it checks off many of the boxes I want from the 240 which I was gonna upgrade my 100ii to.

This is definitely catching my attention.

Smaller normally means a compromise, at least till we can have the technology to not to. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #18 of 16,326
DP-X1 is shaping up to be the dap for me honestly. I like the big screen, can fit 9-10 songs on the screen while browsing 
cool.gif
 Even though it increases the width and height of the dap it remains manageable, and importantly the depth remains thin, thinner than AK100ii for example which is 15mm compared to DP-X1 which is 12.8mm.

DP-X1 has a clean symmetrical circuit design to a T, the only things on the analog board are dacs and amp chips in a symmetrical layout along with their isolated power supply.

An optical out would mean extra circuitry on the CPU board, (which looks packed as is) and it would require a SPDIF receiver chip along with it's circuitry implementation and another 3.5mm socket. So you get my point. Obviously dap makers want to pack as many features as possible into their dap, but PCB space is at a premium, not to mention the integrity of design is at risk the more you try to fit on the PCB.

The DP-X1's analog M.O. is simplicity where it is needed, the use of the Sabre Amps cut down on a lot of circuitry , shorten the signal path (a good thing for SQ), and happen to be designed from the ground up to be used with the ES9018K2M dacs, hopefully resulting in some top notch chemistry between them, then throw in the balanced topology from dacs through to amps and I'm hoping for some magic, fingers crossed.

The only things that remain unknown is output impedance and amp hiss (if any), If Onkyo nails these two things then the DP-X1 will be a game changer if priced right imo.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 16,326

The DP-X1's analog M.O. is simplicity where it is needed, the use of the Sabre Amps cut down on a lot of circuitry and happen to be designed to be used with the ES9018K2M dacs, hopefully resulting in some top notch chemistry between them, then throw in the balanced topology from dacs through to amps and I'm hoping for some magic, fingers crossed.

I was in the market for the new AK IEM and the Esther M1 but I will remain idle till I see how the new Onkyo IEM and DAP flourishes. I am assuming the IEM is developed to offer top notch synergy with their DAP else it will be truly pointless.

The price of the IEM is already scared, 499 Euro, I have a band feeling on the price of the DP-X1. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #20 of 16,326
  I am assuming the IEM is developed to offer top notch synergy with their DAP

Me too, and it is reassuring for me that Philips co-engineered the iem's, as they make some of my favorite headphones and iems, plus Philips and Onkyo are owned by the same parent company! so you can bet there was close-knit development between them.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 16,326

DP-X1 is shaping up to be the dap for me honestly. I like the big screen, can fit 9-10 songs on the screen while browsing 
cool.gif
 Even though it increases the width and height of the dap it remains manageable, and importantly the depth remains thin, thinner than AK100ii for example which is 15mm compared to DP-X1 which is 12.8mm.

I don't really care that it doesn't have optical or line out, these things take up space on the circuit board and take away from a clean symmetrical circuit design which the DP-X1 has to a T, the only things on the analog board are dacs and amp chips along with their isolated power supply, a line out would mean extra circuitry in the way of these and another 3.5mm socket, all of which disrupt the symmetrical layout of the dac and amp implementation and output (in the DP-X1's case at any rate) .

An optical out would mean extra circuitry on the CPU board, but it looks pretty packed as is and it would require a SPDIF receiver chip along with it's circuitry implementation and another 3.5mm socket. So you get my point. Obviously dap makers want to pack as many features as possible into their dap, but PCB space is at a premium, not to mention the integrity of design is at risk the more convoluted the PCB is, so I like that the DP-X1 is a bare bones dap, albeit with dual dacs, balanced amps, mega nice UI and boat loads of processing power 
biggrin.gif
 Ok, so it isn't so barebones, but you get what I mean, Onkyo trimmed down the best places imo.

The DP-X1's analog M.O. is simplicity where it is needed, the use of the Sabre Amps cut down on a lot of circuitry, shorten the signal path, and happen to be designed to be used with the ES9018K2M dacs, hopefully resulting in some top notch chemistry between them, then throw in the balanced topology from dacs through to amps and I'm hoping for some magic, fingers crossed.

The only things that remain unknown is output impedance and amp hiss (if any), If Onkyo nails these two things then the DP-X1 will be a game changer if priced right imo.

If they are competing with A&K in price realm I don't think they change anything.
If they are trying to outdo the X7 and be within 200 bucks of it they change my wallet...and lots of other wallets

I have migrated to a Note 4 with external DAP and swore off the DAP and then ONKYO which I love aimes a torpedo at my wallet...which they will hit if they price right. If FiiO can offer what they will for what they do Onkyo should target their group and make it within range. ...and they will move units.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #24 of 16,326
Is there any difference between this ONKYO DP-X1 and the PIONEER XDP-100R?

Read the first page of the thread, it's all explained.

If they are competing with A&K in price realm I don't think they change anything.
If they are trying to outdo the X7 and be within 200 bucks of it they change my wallet...and lots of other wallets

DP-X1 will essentially render the entire AK line up redundant imo. I've been waiting for this day to come 
very_evil_smiley.gif

If DP-X1 is priced competitively it will also render a whole lot of other value for money daps redundant, making it a game changer, and making Onkyo a lot of money, hopefully Onkyo understand this and go for the competitively priced route, otherwise people will flock to the value for money competitors such as X7.

I did have my eye on X7, but now DP-X1 has me changing gears, we are talking Japanese giants Onkyo and Pioneer 
cool.gif

DP-X1 and X7 will both have a very nice dac stage, it is actually arguable as to which is better between 1x 9018S and 2x 9018K2M (more channels/dnr vs separate power rails and inputs). I would be happy with either.

DP-X1 is balanced out of the box, while X7 will need you to drop an extra wad of cash on an amp module for balanced. I'm personally not a fan of the idea of multiple amp modules, because one amp if designed well, will be able to handle anything, from iem's to 300ohm headphones. It's certainly not easy to make a flawless amp in the constraints of a dap (nigh on impossible), it does need a high level of skill from the engineer, but it's doable, and is what dap manufacturers should be aiming for.

DP-X1 is 12.7mm thick while X7 is 16.5mm thick.

DP-X1 wins by a landslide on the digital front compared to X7 (and by extension all other daps available):
 X7DP-X1
UI/Features/UsabilityAndroid 4.xAndroid 5.1.1
Processing Power1.4ghz quad rockchip2.4ghz quad snapdragon
RAM1GB2GB
Micro SD slots12
Player and Digital OutDSD 128 DSD 256
BluetoothstandardAptX
Screen4" 233PPI4.7" 312PPI
Resolution800*4801280*720 (HD)

All that's left is for DP-X1 to be priced in the same ballpark as X7, and it will be a game changing dap that people will flock to.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 16,326

Read the first page of the thread, it's all explained.

Yeah I had my eye on X7, but now DP-X1 has me way more interested than X7, we are talking Japanese giants Onkyo and Pioneer 
cool.gif

X7 will have a nice dac stage, as will DP-X1, it is actually arguable as to which is better between 1x 9018S and 2x 9018K2M (more channels/dnr vs separate power rails and inputs).

X7 amp stage will need you to drop an extra wad of cash on an amp module to go balanced, while DP-X1 is balanced out of the box. I'm personally not a fan of the idea of multiple amp modules, because one amp if designed well, will be able to handle anything, from iem's to 300ohm headphones. It's not easy to make a flawless amp in the constraints of a dap though (nigh on impossible), needs a high level of skill from the engineer.

X7 is 16.5mm thick while DP-X1 is 12.7mm thick.

DP-X1 wins by a landslide on the digital front:
 X7DP-X1
UI/Features/UsabilityAndroid 4.xAndroid 5.1.1
Processing Power1.4ghz quad rockchip2.4ghz quad snapdragon
Ram1gb2gb
Micro SD12
BluetoothstandardAptX
LCD Screen4" 233PPI4.7" 312PPI
Resolution800x4801280x720
Player and Digital OutPCM 192khz, DSD 128PCM 384khz, DSD 256

All that's left is for DP-X1 to be priced in the same ballpark, and it will be a game changing dap.
I think it is safe to say the DP-X1 will render the entire AK line up redundant, I've been waiting for this day to come 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh I'm sold already. The ram and screen of the X7 already made me un sub from the thread.  I'm all over this thing.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 16,326
The game of industry is really up to Onkyo and Pioneer now.
AK380 can't play DSD256 nor it has a quadcore snapdragon CPU (the same CPU of Samsung Note 4). 
AK380 and AK240 suffer from very short battery life (4 hours) but this new device doesn't (10 hours).
AK380 has only one microSD slot while this one has two. 

AK380 is 3,499 dollars (4,499 dollars include an amp)... if Onkyo and Pioneer guys decide around $500, the game is pretty much set. 
iRiver will never be able to put their feet in the market again for the next 10 years unless they refund all the money to their buyers and reduce their price. 
X7 will not be able to even compete with this spec... it will be just another Chinese device which people will not buy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back