ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 1, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #14,626 of 16,326
Jul 2, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #14,627 of 16,326
I just did comparison between Tidal's HiFi "At Vance - Decade" album and my lossless cd rip and I can't hear no difference. I thought Tidal suppose to use stock snapdragon DAC, while Onkyo audio player twin DACs?

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #14,628 of 16,326
I just did comparison between Tidal's HiFi "At Vance - Decade" album and my lossless cd rip and I can't hear no difference. I thought Tidal suppose to use stock snapdragon DAC, while Onkyo audio player twin DACs?

I’ve been following this thread for over a year and the only definitive information from Onkyo is that 3rd party apps may use the twin Dacs but they have not tested them. To my knowledge no one has any factual information regarding 3rd party apps and the Sabre DACs. This has been a frustrating part of the ownership experience where Onkyo is unable or unwilling to identify how it’s own player is even used especially since Tidal streaming is one of the advantages of its platform.

However, like you, I’ve found little or no difference between Tidal versions vs the same song stored locally.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #14,630 of 16,326

Isn't hifi on on tidal 16/44? Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression thats the same quality as a cd rip.

Why isnt tidal utilized by the sabre dacs. I'm looking to purchase the xp1a and new to researching it #edit this has been answered.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #14,631 of 16,326
Isn't hifi on on tidal 16/44? Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression thats the same quality as a cd rip.

Why isnt tidal utilized by the sabre dacs. I'm looking to purchase the xp1a and new to researching it #edit this has been answered.

He's testing the processing quality, not the file quality. The thing is that we just don't know if audio from third-party apps is bypassing the chipset's DAC and into the dedicated Sabre DACs. Onkyo has said that audio played from their own music app is guaranteed to, but inconclusive for anything else.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #14,633 of 16,326
It's amazing to me how disconnected customer service and development are on these things, especially as they get deeper into technical. Seems to be a trend for most DAP producers.

Someone at Onkyo absolutely knows if the Dax is accessible via normal APIs and if any other software folks asked for access

Absolutely agree. Someone somewhere knows. And the ability to get the best out of this dap should be something they want to communicate to users to help with sales. I’ve enjoyed the DP-X1 but when it comes to upgrade time (was considering the granbeat, especially if there’s a North American version) I’m not sure I’d go back to Onkyo until some of these mysteries are revealed!

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #14,634 of 16,326
Hi everyone,

My Onkyo DP-X1 is currently soft-bricked. I wanted to post here to explain what happened, to warn others with this device, and maybe get some help myself. First off I want to thank XVortex for his work on the TWRP recovery for this device, I know the amount of work and effort it takes for someone to provide something like this for free to the community, and this post is not meant to detract from his work in any way. Regardless, this may be an issue that others could face if the hypothesis below is valid (please read on and decide for yourself), so this post is meant as a warning / cry for help.

A short summary of how I got here:

0) Preparation: find XVortex TWRP image, find stock recovery image, find original stock android image
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onk...amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11220#post_12846468
-> OK, nothing can go wrong!

1) Attempt to fastboot TWRP on Onkyo DP-X1: TWRP boots up correctly, but only sees my external SD-card. I am unable to flash anything.
2) Attempt to flash TWRP as recovery to DP-X1; maybe a native recovery will have more luck accessing my internal storage? No dice, same exact behaviour. Note that at this point I'm getting worried, so I check my device to see if the system still boots: it does. This means that the hardware is OK and we haven't broken anything system-related so far, even though TWRP seems to think we don't have internal storage at all.
3) Hmm, we have fastboot access - why wouldn't I be able to flash my system using fastboot? Flash initiates, but... FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
4) OK, now my DP-X1 no longer boots into the main OS, I guess we broke system now...
5) No problem, we still have the stock recovery and stock OS, let's just revert everything -> fastboot flash recovery, boot recovery
6) Hmmmm..... the stock recovery doesn't recognize my internal storage either! I can no longer fix my system partition through the recovery...
7) Let's try to reflash the stock image using fastboot - if it only flashed partially then maybe reverting that part to stock will solve it. FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
8) Let's reflash TWRP and try to figure out what is wrong with our internal storage
9) dmesg in TWRP indicates:

<6>[ 1.967271] mmc0: no vmmc regulator found
<6>[ 1.969640] mmc0: SDHCI controller on msm_sdcc.1 [msm_sdcc.1] using ADMA
<3>[ 2.071603] mmc0: unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 8
<3>[ 2.071619] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card

No mmc0 device, no /dev/block/platform, no possibility to recover anything.

Google "unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 8 error -22" and you will find several threads that discuss hardware revisions, patches to the kernel, and even hardware issues.

Now, some reflection:

- I should have never flashed TWRP after seeing it doesn't have access to my internal storage
- I shouldn't have attempted to flash system through fastboot with no working recovery nor any proof that I can still recover system using the original recovery

So, obligatory warning for everyone else with a DP-X1 that is trying to root or get a custom rom going: DO NOT FLASH TWRP IF YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE IS NOT RECOGNIZED. DO NOT FLASH SYSTEM THROUGH FASTBOOT.

OK, I screwed up, now how to fix it?

Hypothesis: my device is a recent revision of the DP-X1 (december 2016). Maybe there is a newer eMMC used in this revision, and maybe I had a newer stock recovery than what we found in this thread? Maybe the current TWRP release is not compatible with this eMMC revision, and neither is the current stock recovery dump in this thread?

In that case:

a) Has anyone else with this device and a recent revision - or the DP-X1A - had similar issues as me with TWRP?
b) Can we confirm this is a software issue, or did I somehow cause this problem by fastboot flashing system? (In which case, I have no explanation why TWRP failed to recognize my internal storage initially, while the device still booted and worked fine)
c) Does anyone have a newer version of the *stock* recovery than the one posted by ?
d) Let's build a newer TWRP, maybe we can somehow fix this issue with some kernel settings or a newer module?
e) Can we get an original system image (or any image) that works when fastboot flashing it to system?

For (a) and (c) I'm hoping to get some help from the community here. I don't expect anyone to try (b) or (e) as that may leave them in the same situation as me, unless they have access to more resources (i.e. JTAG and/or access to internal hardware)

I've already started on option (d), but have not managed to get a working build of the original image - my TWRP boots up to the initial screen (where you have to confirm you want to allow writes to storage), but then the screen goes black. No adb access, no logcat output, no way to debug other than repeatedly rebuilding with different configurations and hoping one will work. I've found some indications that there may be serial output going to the 3.5mm jack, so I ordered a UART-3.5mm cable with the (small) hope I can debug my custom TWRP like this.

Please read about my issues with building TWRP here: https://github.com/xvortex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/issues/1 . I'm hoping XVortex will see this message (either here or on GitHub) and may be able to offer some advice or help.

I have a lot of experience with Linux, some experience with Android (mostly HTC, Moto & Sony phones, each with their own bootloaders and peculiarities), but almost no experience with this particular device or it's bootloader.

If you've read this far, thank you for your time. If you have any helpful suggestions, please let me know here or in the GitHub thread and I will gladly try them. If you want to discuss this live, we can meet up on IRC or Slack or Skype or whatever.

If none of this leads to anything, the only option I see is to return my device to Onkyo for a repair. I have no idea on their policy, or what it would cost me to ship/repair the device, so I'm exhausting other options first.

Thanks for reading.

Very happy to report that I managed to solve my issue, and that my assumptions appear to have been valid in regards to the cause of the issue. I ended up rebuilding the recovery image with a newer kernel (the one included in the 0.1.37.8_20161104.013642), which resolved the issue of accessing my internal storage. Once this was solved, it was just a matter of formatting the partitions (to undo the fastboot flash damage) and flash a full system zip. Although it may sound trivial now reading this summary, it was no easy feat to come to this resolution.

You can download the new recovery here:

https://github.com/efenex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/raw/master/twrp-3.0.2-1-Rai_Zin_32.img

I hope this can save other users the time I spent researching and fixing this particular issue - I assume there may be plenty of users with newer revisions of this device that will need this recovery in the future.

If you are looking for more technical details, you can read those here:

https://github.com/xvortex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/issues/1

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and/or tried to help.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #14,635 of 16,326
I’ve been following this thread for over a year and the only definitive information from Onkyo is that 3rd party apps may use the twin Dacs but they have not tested them. To my knowledge no one has any factual information regarding 3rd party apps and the Sabre DACs.

And so... when it comes down to it... if you can't hear the difference... then does it matter? (Aside from the possibility you may be paying money for stuff you can't actually hear:wink:. )

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #14,636 of 16,326
One of the worst 3rd Party player app (streaming) after 1.5 year got updated. I can tell you it is much better in SQ than before.

Therefore, the hardware potential is there. It depends on the software vendors whether they like to take advantage of the better DAC or not.

Onkyo is a hardware vendor. Android is a large platform. So it is really up to the software vendors to upgrade their coding to take advantage of the hi-fi circuitry.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #14,637 of 16,326
Very happy to report that I managed to solve my issue, and that my assumptions appear to have been valid in regards to the cause of the issue. I ended up rebuilding the recovery image with a newer kernel (the one included in the 0.1.37.8_20161104.013642), which resolved the issue of accessing my internal storage. Once this was solved, it was just a matter of formatting the partitions (to undo the fastboot flash damage) and flash a full system zip. Although it may sound trivial now reading this summary, it was no easy feat to come to this resolution.

You can download the new recovery here:

https://github.com/efenex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/raw/master/twrp-3.0.2-1-Rai_Zin_32.img

I hope this can save other users the time I spent researching and fixing this particular issue - I assume there may be plenty of users with newer revisions of this device that will need this recovery in the future.

If you are looking for more technical details, you can read those here:

https://github.com/xvortex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/issues/1

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and/or tried to help.

This is great, congratulations!
Do you know if this one will work for X1A? The board ID changed, Rai_Zin2 or Rai2_Zin (cant remember)

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #14,638 of 16,326
As far as Spotify, why do people even use streaming in general? I am really asking. Because to me, it is the worst of both worlds. Made sense when storage was at a premium, but now with storage being so cheap, and not having to buy entire albums anymore, why stream at all. All i can think of is that people discover new music. But once you do that, get the better quality.

I get the idea of paying for a service, but not for the same songs over and over again. It would be like paying for Netflix but just watching the same movie over and over.

I have not even filled one SD card up and I have 6000 hi res and lossless tracks. Two weeks of non-stop music at much better quality than streaming. I could easily triple that and still have it all on the player. Plus I have complete control over the music.

Here's a couple of reasons:
1. Spotify and other streaming services are great for finding not only new music but music that you remember from years ago - all available at your fingertips and IMMEDIATE.
2. Some songs are not available to purchase.
3. It's about the music and not having to worry about files and copying and corrupt SD cards, etc.
4. Streaming quality is decent (not great) and good enough while on the go. For critical listening, I use my Violectric headphone amp and full size headphone.
4. Haven't yet found a decent music app (tried a bunch and they all are barely useable).

The only drawback is that if I don't have an internet connection, I can't stream unless I download the streamed music into my player.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #14,639 of 16,326
NoTidal skipping on the DP-X1A if you save it to internal memory. It skips only if this a memory card. That's why I moved from the 32 Gb Pioneer to 64 Gb X1A.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #14,640 of 16,326
Here's a couple of reasons:
1. Spotify and other streaming services are great for finding not only new music but music that you remember from years ago - all available at your fingertips and IMMEDIATE.
2. Some songs are not available to purchase.
3. It's about the music and not having to worry about files and copying and corrupt SD cards, etc.
4. Streaming quality is decent (not great) and good enough while on the go. For critical listening, I use my Violectric headphone amp and full size headphone.
4. Haven't yet found a decent music app (tried a bunch and they all are barely useable).

The only drawback is that if I don't have an internet connection, I can't stream unless I download the streamed music into my player.

This is how I approach it too. Streaming is great for discovery. For grabbing your favorites into a playlist on the spot. Great for exposing yourself to music you may never have heard otherwise.

But the whole reason I use a DAP is the ability to have all my music with me and no need for an internet connection. Streaming is a supplement to my main diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back