ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #14,643 of 16,326
And so... when it comes down to it... if you can't hear the difference... then does it matter? (Aside from the possibility you may be paying money for stuff you can't actually hear:wink:. )

Haha, good point! I guess it means the 3rd party player is actually using the Dual DACs or the difference can't be heard which makes me wonder why I wouldn't be using a cheap phone for my audio needs. Unless Onkyo gives us some more info I guess we will never know. However I also have a LG V10 with the ability to switch the Dual DACS on and off and I can definitely hear the difference there so there's hope.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #14,644 of 16,326
Hi
What is the advantage of a DAP being rooted ?? There are apps to uninstall unwanted apps, onto a small SD card,, so if any are needed in future you can reinstall from card. The large 200GB + can't you just put them into slot in Macbook and load your wanted tunes onto these. I have read a lot of messages on this forum and it makes the DPA - 1X sound like a difficult DAP to use, not just to take out of the box and use. And would this item make a unbalanced IEM into Balanced one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #14,645 of 16,326
Hi
What is the advantage of a DAP being rooted ?? There are apps to uninstall unwanted apps, onto a small SD card,, so if any are needed in future you can reinstall from card. The large 200GB + can't you just put them into slot in Macbook and load your wanted tunes onto these. I have read a lot of messages on this forum and it makes the DPA - 1X sound like a difficult DAP to use, not just to take out of the box and use. And would this item make a unbalanced IEM into Balanced one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I rooted mine as I wanted to try viper4android using Vortex's tutorial several pages back. While I enjoyed it for awhile I removed viper4android after a month or so as I preferred the simplicity of the stock settings and found my IEMs were great with the stock DP-X1. I think the DP-X1 is fine as a DAP and I've quite enjoyed mine over the past 14 months I've owned it. I do use mine in balanced mode.

Regarding the link you posted that would be a good adapter to use if you already have an IEM or headphone with a 3.5mm balanced plug. However if you currently have an unbalanced cable you would need to replace the cable with a balanced cable terminated with a 2.5mm TRRS plug. Alternatively you could replace the current unbalanced plug with a 2.5mm balanced plug if you already have a 4 wire balanced cable (you'll need some basic soldering skills)

What IEM or headphone are you currently using?

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #14,647 of 16,326
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #14,648 of 16,326
Thanks for the link but unfortunately they had sold out, not sure if the vendors make any of it products it sells. So basically the $25 adaptor wont work , and do you think the replacement cable could be made into a balanced cable.

kind regards

Barry

P.S. can you put tunes on SD cards by putting in mac sdxc slot

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #14,649 of 16,326
Thanks for the link but unfortunately they had sold out, not sure if the vendors make any of it products it sells. So basically the $25 adaptor wont work , and do you think the replacement cable could be made into a balanced cable.

kind regards

Barry

P.S. can you put tunes on SD cards by putting in mac sdxc slot

I’m not familiar with the stock cabling on your IEMs, suggest you find a forum for yours here on headfi and ask other owners. For music transfer I use Android file transfer on my Mac and it works fine. If I want more speed I use a USB adapter for the micro SD card. Perhaps another Mac owner has tried this. Good luck with your search.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #14,652 of 16,326
I'm pretty sure Tidal is using all x1(a) goodies, since having the same album from CD and Tidal they sound the same (tried on three 1000€+ headphones) and all setting changes made in onkyo music app are live even when listening to Tidal app (DAC filter type, upsampling). Sometimes you can find albums that sound differently, but then it's becouse tidal's post processing or their source (so "fault" on tidals side).

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #14,655 of 16,326
I'm pretty sure Tidal is using all x1(a) goodies, since having the same album from CD and Tidal they sound the same (tried on three 1000€+ headphones) and all setting changes made in onkyo music app are live even when listening to Tidal app (DAC filter type, upsampling). Sometimes you can find albums that sound differently, but then it's becouse tidal's post processing or their source (so "fault" on tidals side).

Yes, agreed Tidal is great on dpx1/a .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back