ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #14,371 of 16,326
If I go to the Music menu ( 3 dots in upper right) I see an option called "peeping prevention". There's no mention of this in the manual. Anyone know what this is?

Googling peeping doesn't get the results I'm looking for
tongue.gif

It may be their way of referring to controlling the pop-up / head's up notifications, added in Android 5.

Ref: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/29/android-m-feature-spotlight-you-can-now-disable-peeking-aka-heads-up-notifications-on-a-per-app-basis/

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #14,372 of 16,326

It may be their way of referring to controlling the pop-up / head's up notifications, added in Android 5.

Ref: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/29/android-m-feature-spotlight-you-can-now-disable-peeking-aka-heads-up-notifications-on-a-per-app-basis/

I bet that's it. Thanks

By the way, the other day I posted a remark that the new Onkyo Music app update added an option to view the song lyrics, but I was unable to get it to work. Now, for some reason it has started to work. As I mentioned before you can paste the lyrics in an extended MP3 tag called UNSYNCEDLYRICS. 
I don't know what changed between then and now, but now that works perfectly.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #14,373 of 16,326
So the 5-min. startup time for my X1A was only on the first run fortunately, and now it's staring within seconds :)

Also can someone advise about how to use the line-out? It seems this is shared with the balanced out. So do I have to change a setting from balanced to line-out when I want to use that? And will a 3-pin 2.5mm plug work?

I believe it builds a database during first startup and then it will start quickly

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #14,374 of 16,326
  Okay, I have the X1, not the X1A - but I don't see why this would make a difference.

All of my MP3's are set to the same album gain and while playing them on the X1 I find I don't have to adjust the volume going from album to album. So anecdotal evidence suggests it does support replaygain. 

As for videos, I assume you mean local content and not Youtube stuff? I installed VLC from the Google Play store and it does an excellent job.

There are slight differences in the default music app between the X1 and the X1A though, mainly the volume and whether you can change how the album art is displayed.

Thanks about the ReplayGain, I am using track gain though but I guess it should work the same. More confirmation will help!

I watch videos locally, hence the mention of MX Player. I can use VLC too but is there any default app for playing videos? Based on what I am seeing on the official website, I am getting the impression that there is such an app and I will prefer to use it due to it being able to use the dual Sabre DACs

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #14,376 of 16,326
  I could, though Onkyo has stated that any Android player app doesn't support the dual DAC/AMP hardware. So, I would prefer to keep using the Onkyo player.

Liked your 1st impressions you posted above. Audio SQ aside, I really am enjoying the user interface of the DP-X1. I'm coming from an iBasso DX80 - which as far as SQ is very close to the DP-X1, but has abysmal and glitchy UI. Since iBasso came out with the DX200, they've apparently abandoned any support for DX80 (no updates since Aug 2016). So, I realized the bugs were never going to get resolved. In contrast the silky smooth and feature rich operation of the DP-X1 is sublime.

Hi Snafu1 I go to do the same,  upgrade IBASSO with Onkyo. So you confirm the SQ is good at least as DX80. I had sad experiences with AK 70 and and FiiO X5 III really scared now ...

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #14,377 of 16,326

Hi Snafu1 I go to do the same,  upgrade IBASSO with Onkyo. So you confirm the SQ is good at least as DX80. I had sad experiences with AK 70 and and FiiO X5 III really scared now ...

When I first received the DP-X1 I did an A/B with the DX80 using my Shure SE846's and I had a real hard time determining any difference. It was very subtle. That was with the unbalanced output. Since then purchased a set of balanced cables for the SE846's. Now, using the DP-X1's balanced output there's no comparison to the DX80. The DP-X1 has a wider soundstage, with better mids. Though the battery life is even worse with the balanced output, it's worth it!

Oh, and you know how glitchy the touchscreen was with the DX80. The Onkyo's is as smooth and responsive as any modern smartphone. Such a pleasure to use. I can actually grab and drag the timeline now without first making several failed attempts.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #14,382 of 16,326
Thanks I've downloaded the Pioneer APK to try on my X1A. Do you know if it will use both DAC chips?
The main reason I'm interested is to hopefully fix this lack of "play through folders" function, where my Onkyo player stops at the end of each folder containing music - major oversight on the developer's part! 
confused.gif
 Does this or another app support both DAC chips and play through folders?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #14,383 of 16,326
  Thanks I've downloaded the Pioneer APK to try on my X1A. Do you know if it will use both DAC chips?
The main reason I'm interested is to hopefully fix this lack of "play through folders" function, where my Onkyo player stops at the end of each folder containing music - major oversight on the developer's part! 
confused.gif
 Does this or another app support both DAC chips and play through folders?

The only way I've figured out how to get the Onkyo Player to play through folders, is to create Playlists of the Tracks in the folders I want it to play through... 
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #14,384 of 16,326
Am I missing something? I've been using the play through folders feature through my Onkyo HF player on Android smartphones. And I've been doing the same with the Onkyo Player on my DP-X1. I've organized all my files as folders (one per album). I can be at the top level and hit play all and it plays all the songs. It works in shuffle mode too. Or I can select an individual folder and it plays the songs in that folder only.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #14,385 of 16,326
Am I missing something? I've been using the play through folders feature through my Onkyo HF player on Android smartphones. And I've been doing the same with the Onkyo Player on my DP-X1. I've organized all my files as folders (one per album). I can be at the top level and hit play all and it plays all the songs. It works in shuffle mode too. Or I can select an individual folder and it plays the songs in that folder only.

Thats how I do it as well, works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back