ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #14,402 of 16,326
So I tried the Pioneer player on my OnKyo DP-X1A that was recommended, to possibly overcome a major shortcoming I was experiencing on the included player that it wasn't remembering where I left off on my playlist when powering back up.

I liked the home screen of the Pioneer player better because it had a graphical frequency display, HOWEVER:
- there was no way to view the current play cue nor any indication on the playing screen of how far the current track is along the playlist
- seemingly no ability to interact with / change the EQ settings other than a simple "on/off" of whichever EQ preset is currently up
- no auto-resume, so each boot up required manually finding where I left off by memory

Going back to the installed Onkyo player, I was still encountering the same issue of it remembering where I left off in my cue after each reset, so I figured a workaround which required creating a playlist within the app of the songs that were selected after ticking the "play all" option with multiple folders... Bingo now the Onkyo player is looking good, HOWEVER:
- No auto resume within the track!!!

Finally being able to reliably resume the correct track number after reboot, I find myself having to relisten to the entire track, which to me is a hassle because most of my files are large "blocks" of programming such as 20-minute recordings of specialty radio shows that were ripped live from my PC. Auto-resume of track location would also be crucial for the likes of podcasts since these files are rather large chunks too.

So I presume my best option would be to install a 3rd party player such as PowerAmp which I know from experience does all the above. However would anyone know if a 3rd party app would also take full advantage of the dual DAC chips of this DAP, or if it's likely to use only one?

Also if anyone knows a way to overcome the lack of auto-resume for playlists and location within the track for the Pioneer player, or the lack of auto resume within the track for the Onkyo player that would also be helpful... THANKS! 

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #14,404 of 16,326
  I liked the home screen of the Pioneer player better because it had a graphical frequency display, HOWEVER:
- there was no way to view the current play cue nor any indication on the playing screen of how far the current track is along the playlist
- seemingly no ability to interact with / change the EQ settings other than a simple "on/off" of whichever EQ preset is currently up
- no auto-resume, so each boot up required manually finding where I left off by memory

Try dragging up and down on the Pioneer play screen. Dragging down will show the currently playing cue and dragging up will display the equalizer! Hope this helped! 

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #14,405 of 16,326
For those still wondering about the difference between the X1/X1A/300R, I spoke to the ONKYO rep when I visited their booth during CanJam.

While at their booth, I saw the X1A and the 300R on display along with the smaller players. I then asked the rep about the differences in the players, and they told me that the internals for the 300R is the same as the X1, and the X1A is exactly identical except for the larger storage and the larger capacitors, which still sounds the same as the X1 except for lower region with more demanding headphones.

"So if the internals are the same, then what is the difference between the ONKYO and the Pioneer besides the exterior looks?"

The rep then told me that they are tuned differently, where the DP-X1(A/B) are more neutral and may have a slightly larger soundstage from it's tuning, while the Pioneer has a more edgy sound that is more intimate and in your face. Neither is better in particular, but just tuned differently.

Is the tuning with the hardware or with the software? I then asked.

The rep then told me that the hardware IS the same, and the difference in tuning is in the software. 

Afterwards, I realized that I probably should have asked if it was firmware based or player app based, but if you were to ask me, I would say it's probably in the player app...

When I told them about my experience of having to send in the player for replace due to jack issues, they told me that the newer batch of players should have much more solid jacks.

For US market, the X1A should be out in the next month or two at the current X1 price and the X1 will be discontinued.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #14,406 of 16,326
Also for those wondering about whether the balanced or ACG works with 3rd party apps, it does. Balance mode and ACG does have sound improvement over the 3.5mm even with third party apps. Now whether or not the dual dac or the Sabre is used at all I'm not sure, but the balanced amp is definitely used.

For battery improvements, if you disable all the unnecessary google apps, you'll see a significant improvement in battery life. The DP-X1 comes with A LOT of google apps preinstalled, and if they are not disabled, they will prevent/wake your devices and not let it sleep, which is the main battery drain.

These apps that I uninstall/disable either through Apps in Setting or through Titanium backup if you are rooted:

Contacts
Contacts Storage
Docs
Drive
Gmail
Google Contact Sync
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Newsstand
Google +
Hangouts
Keep
Maps
Phone
Photos
Sheets
Slides

The battery life is noticeably better when in use and sleep.
Turning off wifi when not in use is also a good practice, since this will prevent syncing of apps when unnecessary. This will probably will make the biggest difference.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #14,407 of 16,326
  When I first received the DP-X1 I did an A/B with the DX80 using my Shure SE846's and I had a real hard time determining any difference. It was very subtle. That was with the unbalanced output. Since then purchased a set of balanced cables for the SE846's. Now, using the DP-X1's balanced output there's no comparison to the DX80. The DP-X1 has a wider soundstage, with better mids. Though the battery life is even worse with the balanced output, it's worth it!

Oh, and you know how glitchy the touchscreen was with the DX80. The Onkyo's is as smooth and responsive as any modern smartphone. Such a pleasure to use. I can actually grab and drag the timeline now without first making several failed attempts.

Thanks for the tips, Just another question, is the unbalanced outuput almost powerful than Ibasso ... i cannot change all the wires :) EG Grado already modeed needs only an adapter to Trrrs 2,5 but others .....needs a complete rewiring

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #14,408 of 16,326
Hi there could you please elaborate a bit more as to why you're disappointed with ak70 and fiio x5 iii? As i am literally deciding among these three which one to get and cant make up my mind....I want to use with it shure se846 and listen to tidal / spotify thanks

AK 70 is under older AK100 in therm of SQ, it is lacking of the incredible capacity to describe the upper frequencies, there is no way to adjust the gain which seems ever high the feeling is the signal is oversaturated. The power is good the presentation is not bad and is not fatiguing the other hand if you compare it with a DX 80 ... the DX destroy it literally more, powerful tridimensional description than AK . And for what concern your request NO SPOTIFY. 

The Fiio is damn buggy and it  has too much emphasis in extremes of gamma, It cannot be used as DAC for DSD, and It cannot be used as a DAC with Linux PC, slow fatiguing interface and unnatural navigation inside. Indeed if you like rock it can be the destination player but if you listen Jazz or classical and you would like appreciate the nuances in the highest area you may think is too aggressive and a bit overcritical 

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #14,409 of 16,326
Sorry, my mistake. No ReplayGain settings for FiiO native player. Only option I know - Foobar2000 for Android (one of my favorites).

That's surprising, last time I heard Fiio was pushing updates to its players for ReplayGain.

For the purpose of this thread, unfortunately the DP X1A's Onkyo app does not have such options too. Only a 3rd party app like Poweramp (what I using now) does have such options.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #14,410 of 16,326
That's surprising, last time I heard Fiio was pushing updates to its players for ReplayGain.

For the purpose of this thread, unfortunately the DP X1A's Onkyo app does not have such options too. Only a 3rd party app like Poweramp (what I using now) does have such options.

Onkyo sleeping. FiiO approach to customers I like more - they are striving to improve. Anyway both devices not perfect. FiiO i bought for DAC functionality/mobility/curiosity. :) Onkyo.... sound, maybe.
On Onkyo from the very beginning I was not using native player.... FiiO + Viper not so bad - with hope for future improvement. Or will go to my friend for rooting if will be pissed off :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #14,411 of 16,326

Onkyo sleeping. FiiO approach to customers I like more - they are striving to improve. Anyway both devices not perfect. FiiO i bought for DAC functionality/mobility/curiosity. :) Onkyo.... sound, maybe.
On Onkyo from the very beginning I was not using native player.... FiiO + Viper not so bad - with hope for future improvement. Or will go to my friend for rooting if will be pissed off :)

Both DAPs are good, tough choice there! I am ok without rooting my DAP though, I find their default sound quite good already

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #14,413 of 16,326
No more Tidal updates on the DP-X1?! After receiving the latest Tidal update on my phone I went to apply it on the DP-X1 but there was no update available. Also, Tidal was no longer showing in my list of installed apps on Google Play. I did a search for Tidal on Google Play and Tidal now displays the message "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #14,414 of 16,326
No more Tidal updates on the DP-X1?! After receiving the latest Tidal update on my phone I went to apply it on the DP-X1 but there was no update available. Also, Tidal was no longer showing in my list of installed apps on Google Play. I did a search for Tidal on Google Play and Tidal now displays the message "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Just checked mine and noticed the same thing. I wonder if the new updates are limited to marshmallow and up?

Edit: tidal app is showing as not compatible on my Samsung tablet running marshmallow as well. However it updates fine on my V10. Looks like Tidal has screwed something up with the recent update.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #14,415 of 16,326

TIDAL are aware of this and are currently sorting this out.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back