ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 21, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #14,356 of 16,326
  Thanks - I certainly wouldn't need an external amp if I'm running it in balanced mode. I'd just have to start scavenging for custom cables and mini-TRRS adapters for some of my headphones though. Also I hope to not have mislead anybody - adding an external amp does certain things to up the fidelity on almost any DAP no matter how powerful it is, and the DP-X1A really does sound fantastic on its' own, and seems quite powerful. And that may be more helpful with full-size 'cans rather than IEMs.

@snafu1 perhaps a solution would be to install another music app that supports lyrics, if your player supports that.

I could, though Onkyo has stated that any Android player app doesn't support the dual DAC/AMP hardware. So, I would prefer to keep using the Onkyo player.

Liked your 1st impressions you posted above. Audio SQ aside, I really am enjoying the user interface of the DP-X1. I'm coming from an iBasso DX80 - which as far as SQ is very close to the DP-X1, but has abysmal and glitchy UI. Since iBasso came out with the DX200, they've apparently abandoned any support for DX80 (no updates since Aug 2016). So, I realized the bugs were never going to get resolved. In contrast the silky smooth and feature rich operation of the DP-X1 is sublime.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #14,357 of 16,326
  I could, though Onkyo has stated that any Android player app doesn't support the dual DAC/AMP hardware. So, I would prefer to keep using the Onkyo player.

Liked your 1st impressions you posted above. Audio SQ aside, I really am enjoying the user interface of the DP-X1. I'm coming from an iBasso DX80 - which as far as SQ is very close to the DP-X1, but has abysmal and glitchy UI. Since iBasso came out with the DX200, they've apparently abandoned any support for DX80 (no updates since Aug 2016). So, I realized the bugs were never going to get resolved. In contrast the silky smooth and feature rich operation of the DP-X1 is sublime.

iBasso did the same for the DX100.  A 5 minute start up time makes it useless for me (something they never fixed).  It has been sitting there for the last few years and was the worse audio purchase I made.  

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #14,361 of 16,326
I've been using my Shure SE846's with the unbalanced cable so far. I just received and plugged in the FiiO RC-SE1B cable. Next I set the ACG mode. So, I know it's easy to tell yourself you're hearing things and changes when they very well may not be there. I'm trying to be very subjective with the new balanced cable. But, yeah 
gs1000.gif
 A noticeable improvement with a wider soundstage while mids and highs seemed to have opened up a bit.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #14,362 of 16,326
  I've been using my Shure SE846's with the unbalanced cable so far. I just received and plugged in the FiiO RC-SE1B cable. Next I set the ACG mode. So, I know it's easy to tell yourself you're hearing things and changes when they very well may not be there. I'm trying to be very subjective with the new balanced cable. But, yeah 
gs1000.gif
 A noticeable improvement with a wider soundstage while mids and highs seemed to have opened up a bit.

With my balanced earphones & earbuds connected to the DP-X1, the first thing I noticed was an improvement in Bass impact, and a more open sound stage.

My DP-X1 is rooted, and I've installed Viper4Android - which offers quite a lot of sound processing capabilities.
V4A can be turned off, if I want to hear what an earphone or earbud sounds like "dry".

Take Care,
David Baldock

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #14,364 of 16,326

With my balanced earphones & earbuds connected to the DP-X1, the first thing I noticed was an improvement in Bass impact, and a more open sound stage.

My DP-X1 is rooted, and I've installed Viper4Android - which offers quite a lot of sound processing capabilities.
V4A can be turned off, if I want to hear what an earphone or earbud sounds like "dry".

Take Care,
David Baldock

You do realize the Onkyo music app only takes advantage of the dual ESS DAC right ?

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #14,365 of 16,326
  You do realize the Onkyo music app only takes advantage of the dual ESS DAC right ?

Sure, I actually contacted Onkyo Customer Service on Facebook, and reported their answers here in this thread, to some questions about 3rd party apps using the Dual-DAC / Dual-Amp hardware in the DP-X1.

Also, back in January, I posted -
OK - I've been looping on various HD audio tracks of the Chesky - Ultimate Headphone Demonstration disc (24-Bit, 192-KHz), using both the "stock" Onkyo Music Player, and the USB Audio Player Pro apps (No EQ being used).  Both apps indicate that the files are, indeed, 24-Bit & 192-KHz, however UAPP shows Andriod: 96-KHz when the Android Sample Rate is set to Variable.  Even with the apparent sample rate difference, I'm just not hearing any audible differences - listening to my LZ A4 earphones (Black backs, Blue Nozzles), on a custom Impact Audio Cables balanced 2.5mm TRRS to MMCX cable, and the DP-X1 set to Balanced & AGC.

Others may be able to hear a difference, but I guess for my 56-year old ears - either the Onkyo Music Player, or UAPP, will work just fine - even for HD audio tracks. 
ksc75smile.gif

Since having DAPs, Amps, Headphones, Earphones, & Earbuds is all about enjoying your music - no matter what the technology - if it sounds good to an individual, well, then that's good for them.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #14,366 of 16,326
So the 5-min. startup time for my X1A was only on the first run fortunately, and now it's staring within seconds 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also can someone advise about how to use the line-out? It seems this is shared with the balanced out. So do I have to change a setting from balanced to line-out when I want to use that? And will a 3-pin 2.5mm plug work?

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #14,367 of 16,326
Quick questions for the DP-X1A for now:

1. Does the default Onkyo music app support ReplayGain?

2. How should I watch my videos using it? Is there a default app too or will MX Player do fine?

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #14,368 of 16,326
  Quick questions for the DP-X1A for now:

1. Does the default Onkyo music app support ReplayGain?

2. How should I watch my videos using it? Is there a default app too or will MX Player do fine?

Thanks!

Okay, I have the X1, not the X1A - but I don't see why this would make a difference.

All of my MP3's are set to the same album gain and while playing them on the X1 I find I don't have to adjust the volume going from album to album. So anecdotal evidence suggests it does support replaygain. 

As for videos, I assume you mean local content and not Youtube stuff? I installed VLC from the Google Play store and it does an excellent job.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #14,369 of 16,326
  So the 5-min. startup time for my X1A was only on the first run fortunately, and now it's staring within seconds 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also can someone advise about how to use the line-out? It seems this is shared with the balanced out. So do I have to change a setting from balanced to line-out when I want to use that? And will a 3-pin 2.5mm plug work?

That's fairly normal behavior for Android devices, when they're first turned on - if new, or if the OS has been updated.  It's just getting all the OS and App file caches set up.

The Line Output is shared with the Single-Ended (3.5mm TRS) Headphone output.

To keep from damaging the Balanced Output Amplifiers, you don't want to plug anything into the 2.5mm TRRS jack, that will short the (L-) and (R-) signals together, like they are on the Single-Ended (3.5mm) jack.  The 4 wires (L+), (L-), (R+), & (R-) need to be kept separate, all the way to the load (Headphone, Earphone, Earbud).

It is safe to connect a Balanced load to the Single-Ended output, using an adapter that provides (L+) to the Left driver, (R+) to the Right drive, and the single GND to both (L-) & (R-).

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #14,370 of 16,326
If I go to the Music menu ( 3 dots in upper right) I see an option called "peeping prevention". There's no mention of this in the manual. Anyone know what this is?

Googling peeping doesn't get the results I'm looking for :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back