ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #14,251 of 16,326
Think the X5iii is great by the way. Good by itself and sounds stonking (one for @x RELIC x to tell me off about for lack of context
smile.gif
).

But my experience has been less smooth than any other device I've owned, so I do feel that what someone on the x5 thread called "too much noise" on the that thread is indeed symptomatic of this round of owners being beta testers, whether they like it or not. To corrupt the acronym, "YMHV", which is good.

As this is the Onkyo thread, I thought it was worth pointing out my experience vs the DP-X1 (which was perfect from day one software-wise). Issues aside, still happy with the switch to X5iii though.

I see a lot of conflicting opinions on everything audio.  I get really confused about stuff and cannot make up my mind.  It can be very difficult for me.  I really need to stop obsessing about it since I am not going to be ready to buy anything soon anyway.  I have a lot of concerts I am attending this Spring and Summer.  I know a lot of people find my posts annoying and kind of find me to be a bag of wind.  I am sure I have been blocked by a few members.  I apologize.  I really need to calm down and relax and just keep following stuff that interests me, but not let it become a vice or crutch of some kind.  I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a few other minor mental disabilities.  I am sorry.

Take care and thank you all for putting up with me.

Riley

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #14,252 of 16,326

I see a lot of conflicting opinions on everything audio.  I get really confused about stuff and cannot make up my mind.  It can be very difficult for me.  I really need to stop obsessing about it since I am not going to be ready to buy anything soon anyway.  I have a lot of concerts I am attending this Spring and Summer.  I know a lot of people find my posts annoying and kind of find me to be a bag of wind.  I am sure I have been blocked by a few members.  I apologize.  I really need to calm down and relax and just keep following stuff that interests me, but not let it become a vice or crutch of some kind.  I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a few other minor mental disabilities.  I am sorry.

Take care and thank you all for putting up with me.

Riley

All go back to what is your priority.

1. Good UI?
2. Good sound that match your profile?
3. Any other? WIFI ? connectivity?

iBasso dx200 , have excellent sound profile, similar / improvement to X1, due to both using sabre.
Fiio x5-3 have different sound profile, but also very good in its class, but different sound profile due to difference of DAC (AKM house sound is different)

Both still suffer from UI issue, or at least, cannot be compared to near flawless execution of X1

AK-300 series player, of course, fit both criteria of excellent / smooth UI and sound (although different profile), but the price range is in very upper high range.

Sony NW players, also hit very high price range, and no connectivity (deal breaker for many who use tidal / spotify).

So, it's back to your priority. To be frank, there are no 100% perfect DAP in market as of now. Even for X1A, there are those who don't like its sounds profile, while there are those who do :)

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #14,253 of 16,326
Think the X5iii is great by the way. Good by itself and sounds stonking (one for @x RELIC x to tell me off about for lack of context :smile:) with the ALO CDM in amp mode.

But the set up experience has been less smooth than any other device I've owned, so I do feel that what someone on the x5 thread grumpily called "too much noise" about the X5 is actually symptomatic of this round of owners being beta testers, whether they like it or not.

To corrupt the acronym, "YMHV", which is good!

As this is the Onkyo thread, I thought it was worth pointing out my experience vs the DP-X1 (which was perfect from day one software-wise) to someone who is putting a lot of hard-earned into it and may not have access to test a lot of units.

Buggy aside, I'm still happy with the switch to X5iii.

Wondering where you got the idea I'm telling anyone off. If I told someone off you'd know it. :wink: ALO makes great gear and I love their amps so I can imagine how the CDM improves the enjoyment factor. It's good to be clear in descriptions for clarity sake, even if brief, for people reading who may not have a chance to experience the gear. How many times do you read on Head Fi that something is better and have no clue what that relates to? Apologies if you take it any other way besides encouraging others to be helpful.

:)

I've read all the posts in this thread and it does seem to be more stable based on what's been posted, but I could never jump on board given the potential for an issue with the jacks. Of course, I'm ignoring the multiple posts about third party apps bypassing the DAC from mutiple users. For me the X5iii is fine for usability, but I'm also not trying to use every other app I can potentially install.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #14,254 of 16,326

All go back to what is your priority.

1. Good UI?
2. Good sound that match your profile?
3. Any other? WIFI ? connectivity?

iBasso dx200 , have excellent sound profile, similar / improvement to X1, due to both using sabre.
Fiio x5-3 have different sound profile, but also very good in its class, but different sound profile due to difference of DAC (AKM house sound is different)

Both still suffer from UI issue, or at least, cannot be compared to near flawless execution of X1

AK-300 series player, of course, fit both criteria of excellent / smooth UI and sound (although different profile), but the price range is in very upper high range.

Sony NW players, also hit very high price range, and no connectivity (deal breaker for many who use tidal / spotify).

So, it's back to your priority. To be frank, there are no 100% perfect DAP in market as of now. Even for X1A, there are those who don't like its sounds profile, while there are those who do :)

For the DP-X1, which can be rooted and run Viper4Android, modifying the sound profile is not too difficult.

On my rooted DP-X1, I've also installed the Xposed Framework, which allows me to run various modules to change the operation of the OS, including ones to block ads on SoundCloud & YouTube, and to keep YouTube running when the screen is off.

The only real gripes I have about the operation of my DP-X1, is the weakness of the Bluetooth & WiFi radios (compared to my Nexus 5 Phone & 7 Tablet), and the fact that Onkyo has not delivered a firmware update to allow USB DAC operation (which they apparently advertised in the original marketing material).  From a software perspective, providing a set of drivers, to allow all apps to bypass the Android HD audio bit-depth / bit-rate limitations, would have been nice.

I would also have preferred that the power and output connectors were on the same side, so I don't have cables sticking out of both the "top" and the "bottom".

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #14,255 of 16,326

For the DP-X1, which can be rooted and run Viper4Android, modifying the sound profile is not too difficult.

On my rooted DP-X1, I've also installed the Xposed Framework, which allows me to run various modules to change the operation of the OS, including ones to block ads on SoundCloud & YouTube, and to keep YouTube running when the screen is off.

The only real gripes I have about the operation of my DP-X1, is the weakness of the Bluetooth & WiFi radios (compared to my Nexus 5 Phone & 7 Tablet), and the fact that Onkyo has not delivered a firmware update to allow USB DAC operation (which they apparently advertised in the original marketing material).  From a software perspective, providing a set of drivers, to allow all apps to bypass the Android HD audio bit-depth / bit-rate limitations, would have been nice.

I would also have preferred that the power and output connectors were on the same side, so I don't have cables sticking out of both the "top" and the "bottom".

Ah yes, Rooting is another way and one of X1 strength. Its android is almost pure that it iseasy to root (using kingroot).

I agree with you on DAC capability. I wish Onkyo would release update to utilize its USB DAC ability. Due to this limitation, i end up getting ifi Audio Nano for my PC.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #14,256 of 16,326
Hi ! Everyone...
Just wondering if someone has DP-X1A's update.zip.
I bought DP-X1A and tried to root.
I deleted the google play store accidentally.
I tried to solve this problem but it is getting worse.
Now the DP-X1A is completely dead, after wiping to factory settings, the screen will stop at the wifi searching only.

Please help...thank you

If you lost Google Play after flashing new ROM that is normal, you might download gapps file besides root file. And you must flash it just after new ROM, before restarting the device.

Find gapps file and download it into the same directory with custom ROM.
Reboot device and wipe all data, wipe dalvik cache etc..
Flash ROM
Flash Gapps
Wipe cache dalvik
Restart.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #14,257 of 16,326
Is there a solution to charge the DP-X1 while being used as transport? I'm thinking about stacking my DP-X1 / Mojo duo with a power bank. The Mojo has a separate charging port of course but the DP-X1 doesn't. Is there a cable spliter or something like that to charge while playing through an external DAC?

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,258 of 16,326
  Is there a solution to charge the DP-X1 while being used as transport? I'm thinking about stacking my DP-X1 / Mojo duo with a power bank. The Mojo has a separate charging port of course but the DP-X1 doesn't. Is there a cable spliter or something like that to charge while playing through an external DAC?

I have not tried this, but apparently you can charge your DAP (phone) and do OTG at the same time -

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #14,261 of 16,326
FYI. Sony has released its own hi-res player app on Google store. I think it is good for vocal with more density. It's called Sony Music Center.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #14,263 of 16,326
Hello, has anyone tried to observe the difference in spatial continuity between balanced and unbalanced?
I just got my DP-X1A 3 days ago, and tried comparing balanced and unbalanced using ve6x1+mars balanced, and to me its very subtle that the unbalanced have better spatial continuity. Comparing to my AK300, its also the same better spatial continuity using the unbalanced, more noticable in the AK compared to the Onkyo.
Just my observation, its very subtle almost unnoticable, also as a result with better spatial continuity the sound becomes less artificial, and more realistic.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #14,264 of 16,326
If you lost Google Play after flashing new ROM that is normal, you might download gapps file besides root file. And you must flash it just after new ROM, before restarting the device.

Find gapps file and download it into the same directory with custom ROM.
Reboot device and wipe all data, wipe dalvik cache etc..
Flash ROM
Flash Gapps
Wipe cache dalvik
Restart.

Hi...Thank you for the info.
However, this can't work on my device.
My DP-X1A just stuck in the screen for searching update only.
I think now I can only do is waiting and searching for the latest stock rom for DP-X1A.
I did try DP-X1 stock rom, but none of them works.
Besides, the device fastboot is also locked and it can't be unlcok by using "fastboot -i 0x0746 oem unlock-go".

I contacted to Onkyo Gobal Customer Service for help several days ago.
Due to price issue, I bought this device from Japan directly and Onkyo Gobal Customer Service can't help.
They told me that I have to take this device in person to Japan customer service for repairing.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info.

If it is possible, could someone provide the stock rom for DP-X1A? thanks

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #14,265 of 16,326
  Hi...Thank you for the info.
However, this can't work on my device.
My DP-X1A just stuck in the screen for searching update only.
I think now I can only do is waiting and searching for the latest stock rom for DP-X1A.
I did try DP-X1 stock rom, but none of them works.
Besides, the device fastboot is also locked and it can't be unlcok by using "fastboot -i 0x0746 oem unlock-go".

I contacted to Onkyo Gobal Customer Service for help several days ago.
Due to price issue, I bought this device from Japan directly and Onkyo Gobal Customer Service can't help.
They told me that I have to take this device in person to Japan customer service for repairing.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info.

If it is possible, could someone provide the stock rom for DP-X1A? thanks

Mokochi posted this Try this:
-Grab the firmware here (link from this post)
https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/df30d6331a9d059b201363a70c664bed92470bf2.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip
-Rename it into update.zip, copy to /sdcard
-from the recovery, select Update from SDCard
Some firmware update from pegasus21
1.26 update.zip https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/914e21f7c8433e4fc1819cc005d4522ca25e82f3.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip
1.28 update.zip https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/df30d6331a9d059b201363a70c664bed92470bf2.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip

This is for original recovery if you got TWRP installed use this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11220#post_12846468

By the way did you do developer option and how do you use astboot -i 0x0746 oem unlock-go ?

from your Adb platform type

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

you should be able to see your Xp1a and unlock it if you authorized USB debugging and enable OEM unlocking in Developer option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back