ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 1, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #13,472 of 16,326
Has the issue of whether 3rd party music apps use onkyo's dedicated dac and not android's been resolved? sorry not sure of the correct terms, i remember a couple of months back i read it here that the onkyo music dap bypasses the android's system dac but at that time no one can say for sure if its the same for 3rd party apps like tidal and spotify. Curious to know since again i'm eyeing the DPX1 or the newly released fiio x5iii for my future dap, thanks in advance :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #13,473 of 16,326
  Has the issue of whether 3rd party music apps use onkyo's dedicated dac and not android's been resolved? sorry not sure of the correct terms, i remember a couple of months back i read it here that the onkyo music dap bypasses the android's system dac but at that time no one can say for sure if its the same for 3rd party apps like tidal and spotify. Curious to know since again i'm eyeing the DPX1 or the newly released fiio x5iii for my future dap, thanks in advance :)

What exactly are you referring to as Android system DAC?

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #13,479 of 16,326
As an advice, don't buy dx200 for dpx1. dpx1 is better as Android player. From a group member who did like your plan. Suggest to upgrade to sony wm1a.

Yea it's a tricky one. I don't stream but I would miss 2 uSD slots. I would be looking primarily at SQ. I'm sure Google play will eventually appear on the dx200. DX200 is a pretty steep price jump for me - WM1A would be a step too far unless I could fin a good used deal.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #13,480 of 16,326
Been wanting a definitive answer to this question for a while. Would this explain why Hibymusic can play DSD files on my dp-x1? It recognises them as DSD and does not inform me that they are being converted to PCM.

I fail to see the relation between the two. The X1 has only one set of DACs; a set of Sabre dacs in this case. These dacs perform the D-A conversion. There are no other components in the X1 which may be able to do D-A conversion besides the Sabre dacs. The boards of the X1 are not drawn up from some other design that the Sabre DACs were added to later on. The X1 was designed around these DACs from the ground up, so only one set of DACs is available in the device.

As for your other point: DSD is not a music format in the way Flac, Wav and MP3 are. DSD is a container format for musical information stored in a digital format. That's also why there is no DSD codec available. And that is also why DSD does not support tags, covers and all that sort of additional information. It is just raw information of an audio stream (compare this for example to JPG versus RAW format). So this information has to be streamed in order to be playable, which is why the X1 uses a PCM stream for DSD. To be honest I am not quite sure of the accuracy of this (please correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the information I have.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #13,481 of 16,326
I fail to see the relation between the two. The X1 has only one set of DACs; a set of Sabre dacs in this case. These dacs perform the D-A conversion. There are no other components in the X1 which may be able to do D-A conversion besides the Sabre dacs. The boards of the X1 are not drawn up from some other design that the Sabre DACs were added to later on. The X1 was designed around these DACs from the ground up, so only one set of DACs is available in the device.

As for your other point: DSD is not a music format in the way Flac, Wav and MP3 are. DSD is a container format for musical information stored in a digital format. That's also why there is no DSD codec available. And that is also why DSD does not support tags, covers and all that sort of additional information. It is just raw information of an audio stream (compare this for example to JPG versus RAW format). So this information has to be streamed in order to be playable, which is why the X1 uses a PCM stream for DSD. To be honest I am not quite sure of the accuracy of this (please correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the information I have.

Sorry I guess the only thing I can draw from this is that the sabre dac is being used but doesn't answer the question 1 or 2.

Just tried a/b SE/balanced with a kraftwek dsf.using hibymusic. On SE I set the volume at a comfortable 130. Changed to balanced and the volume meter dropped automatically to 108. Same perceived volume as SE 130.

Would this not suggestvthat balanced is using both DACs with a third party app? Or would the balanced volume increase even if only one DAC was being used?

Like a dog with a bone here and am prepared to admit I may be talking rubbish!!

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #13,482 of 16,326
  Has anyone had any experience or written a comprehensive review of the Onkyo DP-X1A? Im interested in what improvements there are over the X1 etc. There seems to be a media blackout concerning this DAP

​honestly, read the DP X1 reviews, and then add 32GB of data, a slight improvement in sound quality, and most importantly, better battery life. the X1A is about 100 dollars more (when I bought it) than the X1. It was a no brainer for me.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #13,483 of 16,326
Has anyone had any experience or written a comprehensive review of the Onkyo DP-X1A? Im interested in what improvements there are over the X1 etc. There seems to be a media blackout concerning this DAP

Yes but it was a Hong Kong guy. His conclusion as short: dpx1a has more emotion than dpx1.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #13,485 of 16,326
Sorry I guess the only thing I can draw from this is that the sabre dac is being used but doesn't answer the question 1 or 2.

Just tried a/b SE/balanced with a kraftwek dsf.using hibymusic. On SE I set the volume at a comfortable 130. Changed to balanced and the volume meter dropped automatically to 108. Same perceived volume as SE 130.

Would this not suggestvthat balanced is using both DACs with a third party app? Or would the balanced volume increase even if only one DAC was being used?

Like a dog with a bone here and am prepared to admit I may be talking rubbish!!

See this post ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13245#post_13212630 ), where I quoted some questions I posed on the Onkyo USA Facebook page, and their answers.  The questions may not have been answered by someone in the Onkyo Engineering division, but my take on their reply is that only one of the two DACs is used by third party apps.  Apparently, the Onkyo Play Music app sends the music data to their own driver (rather than the default Android driver), which does use both DACs.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back