ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 22, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #11,447 of 16,328
The October issue of The Absolute Sound has a favourable review of the DP-X1 by Steve Stone. I did not learn much except that Stone does comment a little on listening to MQA files.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/onkyo-dp-x1-portable-music-player/

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #11,450 of 16,328
Thought I'd try again - the player's excellent, but definitely in need of a case (annoyingly...)

Don't know of any Canadian resellers but I ordered a dignis case direct from the supplier when I was visiting my kids in Vancouver in May and received it in 4 days. And no duty or taxes were assessed.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #11,452 of 16,328
dp-x1 = ak240
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I reckon DP-X1 = AK420 :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #11,455 of 16,328
  There is a new version of Viper4Android (2.5.0.5)! 

Changelog
1. New UI
2. Added cross-channel ("quad channel") convolver support. This allows faithful reproduction of sound-field effects requiring such cross-channel convolution, such as simulation of speaker soundfield on headphones, or crosstalk cancellation (stereo widening) on stereo speakers.
3. Added FET compressor (new compressor / limiter simulating operation of FET circuits)
4. Support for custom settings storage path (no more looking everywhere in the phone for the settings directory!)
5. Miscellaneous bug fixes.

I thought that V4A 2.5.0.5 didn't support Android 5.1 yet. Does it work on the DPX1?

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #11,458 of 16,328
I have finally completed the Herculean task of going through this whole thread over the last few weeks. So I decided I had to reward myself with getting a great case for my X1.  I like this one a lot.  It is very cost effective and so minimal it is like it is not there.  And most of all, I do not have to carry it in my hand.  I am still looking for a good solution that I could thread on a belt.  In getting this image I had to break my religious conviction of no slefies in the interests of Hi-Fi.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #11,459 of 16,328
it is essential for viper4android to disable SELinux.

just tested.

unlock fastboot -> flash twrp via fastboot -> root via supersu twrp/recovery flashable zip -> install apk of viper4android 2.5.0.5 (go to market and install busybox free or busybox pro for driver installation) -> go to settings of viper4android, enable developer mode and disable selinux.

that's it.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #11,460 of 16,328
I would like to thank everyone for all the time and trouble they have put into this thread, and since I have benefited considerably, I would like to feedback with my experiences with the X1.
*I use the X1 exclusively to listen to Tidal CD Quality offline when I am traveling to and from work and when I go on holidays, and I bought it to replace my Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge+/Mojo which I was sonically happy with but I found a PIA to carry around and I really wanted a DAP so that I could separately use my phone and not have calls & messages interrupt my listening.
*I have had no problems at all with the X1 which I got just a few weeks ago and no problems listening to Tidal offline.
*I can happily live with the current sound quality with my new T5p G2's running SE but I would like a more open and detailed sound.  After reading this thread I ordered some Double Helix 4-wire Silver Peptide pure OCC silver litz balanced cables so that I can take advantage of the balanced output with one chip driving each channel and the ACG.  I am hoping this will give me the lift I am after but the Double Helix website notes that orders take 3-6 months to fulfill.  I am also hoping that I will get a sound uplift if & when Tidal implements MQA.
*There are some on this thread that believe that running in components is a myth and I respect their opinion.  I have been in the hi-fi hobby for decades and it has been my experience that it does make a difference and I found this to be the case with the X1 and Tp5.  It has been pointed out that this improvement may be in my mind.  Well I hope it is because my ears do not hear - they just sense and my brain tells me what I am hearing.  So whatever makes something sound better to me is a good thing whether it is physical or psychoacoustical.
*Again from advice on this thread, I have found the following helpful in getting the best sound from the X1.  I have a Hong Kong version with the EU volume restriction - defeating this by setting it to Variable line out has been great.  I always use the Stand-alone mode when listening.  I have set the Gain Setting to Low to allow me to use a higher volume setting while listening - I do think this gives a little more detail.
I cannot wait for the balanced Double Helix cables, but I guess I will have to and I am trying not to think about them.
Thanks for a great thread and a great forum. Knowing more about equipment and sharing it with friends greatly enhances this wonderful hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back