ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 22, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #9,436 of 16,326
  Posted this on the Meze Headphones 99 Classics Discussion + Impression thread, but re-posting here:

---

Some pics I took earlier and posted on Twitter, the Meze Headphones 99 Classic Walnut Silver with my Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player in medium gain, single-ended mode:

I totally danced my ass off to this! :D

That's right @MezeTeam, you made headphones to dance to; bravo!

Congratulations! Very nice headphones. Welcome to retrogrades club :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #9,438 of 16,326
  Hi @bettyn, did you see my post regarding multiple aftermarket headphone cables?

Just to reiterate, if you have the budget and want the best cables, go for Double Helix Cables.
If you don't want to pay that much but still want amazing cables, PETERK and Moon Audio Dragon Series will be great.
If you want a cable at a budget, Forza AudioWorks.

I just want to make a point so that some do get the wrong impression here, Forza makes High quality cable, just at a realistic price. Ive had a few brands of cables and Forza is great company and willing to make what ever you need as the other manufactures will as well (I like PETEREK to). I think some of these cables are getting ridiculously over priced, I mean they are taking 20 dollars worth of material and charging 500 bucks. I know there is some R&D work involved but the technology has been around longer then any of here. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #9,439 of 16,326
  Posted this on the Meze Headphones 99 Classics Discussion + Impression thread, but re-posting here:

---

Some pics I took earlier and posted on Twitter, the Meze Headphones 99 Classic Walnut Silver with my Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player in medium gain, single-ended mode:

I totally danced my ass off to this! :D

That's right @MezeTeam, you made headphones to dance to; bravo!

Is the case pictured above the one from Onkyo or is it from another manufacturer?

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #9,440 of 16,326
  I just want to make a point so that some do get the wrong impression here, Forza makes High quality cable, just at a realistic price. Ive had a few brands of cables and Forza is great company and willing to make what ever you need as the other manufactures will as well (I like PETEREK to). I think some of these cables are getting ridiculously over priced, I mean they are taking 20 dollars worth of material and charging 500 bucks. I know there is some R&D work involved but the technology has been around longer then any of here. 

Oh no, I'm sorry, what I wrote was not a dig at all.

I've posted numerous times which aftermarket headphone cable manufacturer's I recommend, and Forza AudioWorks is on my list because I respect them and feel they deserve to be noted and recommended.
I personally feel Double Helix Cables is the best but when recommending cables, I have a list of companies to suit everyone's tastes and budgets.

So when I meant a cable at a budget, referring to Forza, my point was to have an audiophile cable without breaking the bank.

Likewise, I am troubled by some prices on cables. Though Double Helix Cables seem expensive, I have come to understand that DHC sell cables with real workmanship and R&D. However, I am not sure if I can say the same for Nordost, or even the new Kimber Kable Axios line, which are very expensive but don't, from the specs and what I read, compete against similarly priced DHC cables (I do love the wood parts used on Axios however, but still concerned on cost).

Forza AudioWorks may not be cables I use, but they are a manufacturer I respect, as they seem to envisage what DHC does; quality cables backed with real science and technology, without snake-oil marketing. Plus, iFi Audio LOVE Forza AudioWorks!

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier...

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9,441 of 16,326
  Is the case pictured above the one from Onkyo or is it from another manufacturer?

That case is the beautiful Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case in black.

In my opinion, and those who also use Dignis Design on a number of DAP's, it is a mandatory purchase, though other Head-Fi'ers have found alternative products from other manufacturer's, some with different features like a flap.

When buying the Onkyo DP-X1 or looking for accessories, DO NOT BUY THE OFFICIAL DPA-PUX1, it's not very good at all.
Mandatory purchases include the Dignis Case (or similar), and the Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered galss screen protector.

^^

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #9,442 of 16,326

Oh no, I'm sorry, what I wrote was not a dig at all.

I've posted numerous times which aftermarket headphone cable manufacturer's I recommend, and Forza AudioWorks is on my list because I respect them and feel they deserve to be noted and recommended.
I personally feel Double Helix Cables is the best but when recommending cables, I have a list of companies to suit everyone's tastes and budgets.

So when I meant a cable at a budget, referring to Forza, my point was to have an audiophile cable without breaking the bank.

Likewise, I am troubled by some prices on cables. Though Double Helix Cables seem expensive, I have come to understand that DHC sell cables with real workmanship and R&D. However, I am not sure if I can say the same for Nordost, or even the new Kimber Kable Axios line, which are very expensive but don't, from the specs and what I read, compete against similarly priced DHC cables (I do love the wood parts used on Axios however, but still concerned on cost).

Forza AudioWorks may not be cables I use, but they are a manufacturer I respect, as they seem to envisage what DHC does; quality cables backed with real science and technology, without snake-oil marketing. Plus, iFi Audio LOVE Forza AudioWorks!

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier...

Thats cool! 
beerchug.gif

Forza backs there cables up with a 2 year warranty which is huge for something like this.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #9,443 of 16,326
That case is the beautiful Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case in black.

In my opinion, and those who also use Dignis Design on a number of DAP's, it is a mandatory purchase, though other Head-Fi'ers have found alternative products from other manufacturer's, some with different features like a flap.

When buying the Onkyo DP-X1 or looking for accessories, DO NOT BUY THE OFFICIAL DPA-PUX1, it's not very good at all.
Mandatory purchases include the Dignis Case (or similar), and the Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered galss screen protector.

^^

Do you mind sharing what's so bad about the case from Onkyo? I'm deciding between it and the Dignis.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #9,444 of 16,326
Do you mind sharing what's so bad about the case from Onkyo? I'm deciding between it and the Dignis.

I believe the unboxing pics and comparison shots (page 536, post #8039) I made in this thread will do far more than words alone to explain.
However, my extended description of the case (page 537, post #8046) further explains my impressions of the Dignis LUNO case.

After you read those posts, keep reading on to hear feedback from myself and others too ^^

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9,445 of 16,326

I ordered the X7 initially and had it for a over a week, before returning it for the XDP-100 and then returning it to finally order DP-X1.
I returned it for similar reasons to @McCol, namely EMI issues while streaming. Initial design issues (are they fixed?) killed part of the hype I think.

I wouldn't say the build quality is bad, but it's not as premium as DP-X1 for sure. It's more bulky at it's quite thick, but that's understandable as it packs a big 3500 mA battery to power the hungry ESS9018 that's not designed for mobile use. Tolerances are good but the material doesn't scream premium. The screen is nowhere near DP-X1/XDP-100 quality but that could be deemed secondary.

As for sound, It packs more bass punch indeed, but bass are less defined and control to my ears. I didn't really pegged it as V shaped and I would have said the X7 is warmer than the DP-X1. Treble are nowhere near as refined, it's buttery smooth but it lack the detail of the DP-X1. Mids are smoother and a tad more forward. Overall there is less clarity, separation and transparency. I guess the X7 might pair well with analytical / cold headphones that might explain why I liked it less than DP-X1.

To me the DP-X1 is more 3D and it does have a sound back bone and I would peg it as technically more refined than the X7 but that's probably down to personal preferences and also which headphones / IEMs you intend to use them with.

One thing it has for it is sharing the same 2.5 TRRS for the balanced cables, that could be a deciding factor if you have invested already :)

I'm sorry I did not understand "cause google translator" less clear separation and transparency regarding all dp x1 or x7?

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #9,446 of 16,326
  I'm sorry I did not understand "cause google translator" less clear separation and transparency regarding all dp x1 or x7?

Just explaining that point, based on what @davidmolliere wrote, I think he means that though the FiiO X7 (with standard/default included amp module) has a punchier sound, it is not as refined, transparent or as good at separating musical layers as the Onkyo DP-X1 can.

The Onkyo DP-X1 is superior to the FiiO X7 according to @davidmolliere

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,448 of 16,326
  many thanks, I have a 225e grado is very open as a sound and a little cold, you think goes best with dp x1 or x7?
thank you

I cannot answer that fairly as I have not heard that particular Grado headphone, so instead I will give you a summary of what I think are the best DAP's on the market, and the best way too see each within your budget:

If we are only talking about sound quality, and nothing else, Questyle QP1R, Astell and Kern's AK70/AK300/AK320/AK380, Lotoo Paw Gold, Onkyo DP-X1, and a few other's I've forgotten at the moment, are what I would pick as absolutely the best sounding DAP's on the market currently.

For me, any headphone will sound amazing on the DP-X1.

If you cannot afford DP-X1, I would not recommend FiiO X7 at present. There are two other DAP's that beat it:

1. Astell & Kern AK70 (announced very recently, out soon)
  2. Pioneer XDP-100R

So, if you are looking at the FiiO X7 and it's current price, I would choose between these similarly priced AK70, or XDP-100R DAP instead.
AK70 might be the best of the cheapest, most powerful balanced DAP's available on the planet, and it also will work with certain AK accessories such as the AK CD Ripper.
XDP-100R is virtually the same as DP-X1 but is only single-ended. Outside of that, it is the other most feature rich DAP currently available, and because it is Android based can stream music from Apps such as YouTube, Spotify and Tidal, amongst others.

Increasing your budget towards the DP-X1 price:

If I wanted to see an alternative DAP to the DP-X1 at a similar price, I would choose QP1R or AK300.
Of these three, QP1R is better in only sound quality.
For the most advanced features on the planet, DP-X1 is better than both, Android based, streaming, etc.
For using multiple accessories and adding more power, the AK300 is great, but will cost a lot if getting this DAP with any of the below accessories:

1. AK380 Amp
  2. AK380 Dock
  3. AK Recorder
  4. AK CD Ripper
(All of these work with the AK300, AK320 and AK380 DAP's, which is what sets this line of DAP's separately from other DAP's).

This may help you decide what DAP to look at, but remember, features and sound quality are different to everyone, so go for what best suits you, your lifestyle, and your tastes.

^^

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #9,449 of 16,326

Just explaining that point, based on what @davidmolliere wrote, I think he means that though the FiiO X7 (with standard/default included amp module) has a punchier sound, it is not as refined, transparent or as good at separating musical layers as the Onkyo DP-X1 can.

The Onkyo DP-X1 is superior to the FiiO X7 according to @davidmolliere

It's not better in absolute terms, but relatively to those characteristics it certainly is, now I haven't tested the new modules and it would probably be fairest to match the AM-3 balanced module with the DP-X1.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #9,450 of 16,326

It's not better in absolute terms, but relatively to those characteristics it certainly is, now I haven't tested the new modules and it would probably be fairest to match the AM-3 balanced module with the DP-X1.

Yes, I just summarised your post for him, getting to the gist of what you tried to say. I was also being careful not to use the word better, respecting your original post.
I also agree regarding the AM-3, but by this point with added costs, the DP-X1, QP1R or AK300 would be better choices.

I personally think FiiO X7 with stock amp is no longer a viable option for new buyers, but I think it has its place as the only other DAP that competes against Astell & Kern's AK300 with accessories at far lower price range.

Even then, if one cannot afford the DP-X1, QP1R, or AK300, but has a budget for FiiO X7, I would personally consider and/or recommend the XDP-100R or AK70.

A DAP is subjective to one's want's, needs and tastes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back