ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 21, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #9,421 of 16,326
  Got the balanced cable at a local cables and wires store and they are the one who do the wiring. Thanks for the tip, yes it is very likely that the wiring is not properly connected, as I should be getting better soundstage and overall SQ with the 2.5mm connection...

It looks that they made for you wrong cabling - for headphones with mic.

You need as above.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,422 of 16,326
Can I ask what do we do with our existing 3.5mm jack headphones, I have just bought a pair of shure se535, does this now mean that they won't sound good with the dp-x1? Or can I buy a 2.5mm lead?
Just need to know before I purchase this beautiful peice of equipment.

Well, we all have different ears. Balanced sometimes sounds for me to much scattered and for long listening I often go just for SE with open cans.  Anyway, good to have balanced cables - then you can choose what you want right now. Anyway I am not going to re-cable everything to balanced.

SE 353 will sound really pretty good, no worries :)

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #9,424 of 16,326
Well, we all have different ears. Balanced sometimes sounds for me to much scattered and for long listening I often go just for SE with open cans.  Anyway, good to have balanced cables - then you can choose what you want right now. Anyway I am not going to re-cable everything to balanced.

SE 353 will sound really pretty good, no worries :)
can I ask what does se stand for? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,428 of 16,326
  Ah I see, yes they made the wrong cabling indeed... Many thanks for the info!!

Did you not make sure they knew what they were doing before commissioning the work? This thread has the pinout information throughout it and there should have been no confusion about that. I hope the company is professional and admits to making the mistake. Good luck.

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #9,429 of 16,326
anyone has any comments comparing dp-x1 to ak320/ak380 ?

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #9,430 of 16,326
Posted this on the Meze Headphones 99 Classics Discussion + Impression thread, but re-posting here:

---

Some pics I took earlier and posted on Twitter, the Meze Headphones 99 Classic Walnut Silver with my Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player in medium gain, single-ended mode:

I totally danced my ass off to this! :D

That's right @MezeTeam, you made headphones to dance to; bravo!

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #9,434 of 16,326
Hi. Have any of you got Noozoxide Pro to work with DPX1. The app opens, but changing the settings does nothing. I think you have to select it under Android Sound settings as the Music Effect. But, the Onkyo doesn't have this option in the menus right?

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #9,435 of 16,326
Hi @bettyn, did you see my post regarding multiple aftermarket headphone cables?

Just to reiterate, if you have the budget and want the best cables, go for Double Helix Cables.
If you don't want to pay that much but still want amazing cables, PETERK and Moon Audio Dragon Series will be great.
If you want a cable at a budget, Forza AudioWorks.

Head-Fi'ers have made other suggestions too, so do research them all, lots of choice!

Two things I would like to say:
  1. Do NOT opt for gold and copper or gold and silver cables. Gold is a poor electrical conductor, worse than copper and really, really worse in comparison to silver.
    This is really basic, school science, never mind advanced academia.
    Those who like their gold infused cables may do so because of different tones in terms of sound, previous unknown knowledge of gold's electrical properties, placebo, or buyer's remorse.

2. Having silver in a cable, whether as a combination between copper and silver, or pure silver alone, does NOT mean music will be cold, analytical, harsh, sibilant, etc. It is thought these ideas are borne from the way humans observe certain colour cues, because warmer colours like copper and gold give the impression of warmth, whereas silver, titanium and aluminium give of a colder impression and feel.
    Silver cables, especially pure silver, if done well, allow music to be effortless, organic, holographic.

Lastly, I personally don't think cables themselves have specific sound signatures. The whole point of getting audiophile cables is to have better electrical conductivity, lower noise floor, and reduction of noise itself from EMI, RFI, etc.
By reducing noise, the amplifier you use will not need to unnecessarily work and amplify any noise coming from the cable, and the transducer (speakers or headphones/earphones) won't need to playback that noise.
You cannot get rid of noise completely, but the more that noise is diminished in cables, and the more noise floor is lowered, then the amplifier has more power and reserve power to amplify music rather than noise, as does the transducers to playback music rather than noise.
Noise also affects DAC's and phono amp's but I hope you get the general gist.
Increasing electrical conductivity is also key; this means electrical signals from source to amp to transducer can be quicker, thus reproduction of music more accurate (whether that is neutral or musical depends on your equipment and tastes of course; music should be fun to you). The fastest known speed of source to ear of audio is real life music, and that cannot be replicated, but using advanced equipment and better cables, we can try to be just as fast.
So, for me, when some says this cable sounds this or that, I translate that as the cable having reduced certain noise but not others (own noise, or allowed some other noise to get through), as well as how good of an electrical conductor that cable is. We can only make opinions on how a cable sounds compared directly to another cable.
The big thing to understand is that noise is audible, and can be from the entire gamut of the sound frequency (whether audible or not). Noise is not specific to a set of frequencies. I hope this highlights how difficult for manufacturer's, in many industries including audio, find it difficult to reduce noise, but we are much better at this than ever before. 

In my case, my Double Helix Cables Elite Molecule 22 OCC Silver Litz (22AWG) 4-Wire balanced cable does indeed sound different to my previous DHC Molecule Elite Fusion (copper and silver litz) 4-Wire balanced cable that I use with my Audeze EL-8 Titanium headphones.
The differences are similar to what I spoke about pure silver cables; my new DHC Molecule Elite 22 Silver cable is breathtakingly effortless, supremely holographic, almost no grain when I listen to music, and much wider and taller soundstage.
My previous DHC Molecule Elite Fusion was amazing over the stock El-8 cable but it now sounds a bit congested, grainy. and a tad slower, than my new silver cable.
I don't attribute this solely as 'sound signature' for each, but that one cable is better at lowering noise and has better electrical conductivity over the other. I could have only made these impressions by directly relating one cable to another. For example, if I described the sound difference of my older DHC Molecule Elite Fusion over the the stock EL-8 cable (and I had never heard the silver one), the comments I made about the my Silver cable would describe the Fusion cable vs stock.

It is difficult to wrap anyone's head regarding cables and benefits, but the above is my take on this.
As long as you research well, and continue to get the support of this community, you'll be fine.

Good luck on whichever cable manufacturer you choose by the way, and let us know who you choose and what cable you went for ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back