ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #8,476 of 16,326
Right, got it. I'm trying to root the DPX1 so I can use Tidal and have equalization and surround virtualization. If I can get Viper to work I might even be able to use my custom Smyth Realizer IR and virtualize a high-end speaker set up. Also, I can't believer some form of Dolby Atmos and MaxxSpace is out on Android and I can't access it. 

But, I will heed your advice. It's killing me, but having the Onkyo bricked with a voided warranty would be the worst. 

If I hear anything on XDA or elsewhere, I'll post here too.

How does one go about exporting a Smyth Realizer IR into a standard wav file for use by Viper?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #8,477 of 16,326

Sorry Joe, I only threw it out as a possibility. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here. I saw that Viper had a Convolver and I've loaded different files into pro-audio convolution software and thought I'd work at it. Without being able to root the device, I'm stuck at square one and have no idea what's actually possible. 

May 19, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #8,478 of 16,326
Unfortunately, this did not do the trick for me. Anybody else find a way to fix the Tidal playback issues or are we basically waiting on Tidal? It's too bad because this is otherwise a perfect all-in-one portable streaming solution with the PM-3 balanced.

It made no difference for me either.

I don't know whether it's a Tidal app or Onkyo firmware update that will fix it.

Given that Tidal works without issue on many smartphones with less capable hardware than the DP-X1, I would have though Onkyo can fix it.

May 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #8,479 of 16,326

I don't know whether it's a Tidal app or Onkyo firmware update that will fix it.

Given that Tidal works without issue on many smartphones with less capable hardware than the DP-X1, I would have though Onkyo can fix it.

Unsubscribed Tidal after the 30 days trail because of the bugged performance.

Hope it will soon be fixed so I can enjoy HD streaming music again with my DAP.

May 19, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #8,480 of 16,326
Unfortunately, this did not do the trick for me. Anybody else find a way to fix the Tidal playback issues or are we basically waiting on Tidal? It's too bad because this is otherwise a perfect all-in-one portable streaming solution with the PM-3 balanced.

Is this bugged performance the faint "washing machine" sound of all third party players at low volumes referred to elsewhere or something specific to Tidal?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #8,481 of 16,326
Is this bugged performance the faint "washing machine" sound of all third party players at low volumes referred to elsewhere or something specific to Tidal?

That's one problem.

The other, and the one that bothers me most, is the occasional 'glitch' in playback of stored offline content.

I'm also thinking of cancelling my Tidal subscription and sticking with Spotify.

It's a shame that Tidal are suffering because of a buggy player though.

May 19, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #8,482 of 16,326
The current version of tidal is having some issue when caching.   It sometimes pause a few seconds after playing the beginning for a while and then it plays fine.

I remember the last version does not do that.

But I can live with it.

Anyway , I think tidal will update soon. (hopefully with the MQA)

May 19, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #8,483 of 16,326
  The current version of tidal is having some issue when caching.   It sometimes pause a few seconds after playing the beginning for a while and then it plays fine.

I remember the last version does not do that.

But I can live with it.

Anyway , I think tidal will update soon. (hopefully with the MQA)

I've had TIDAL from literally day one and never experienced that with my iPhone or while using it on the Auralic Aries Mini, Sounds like it may be an internet connection issue?

May 19, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #8,485 of 16,326
  I've had TIDAL from literally day one and never experienced that with my iPhone or while using it on the Auralic Aries Mini, Sounds like it may be an internet connection issue?

I suspect as the no of member is growing. The servers are overloaded.  It may not be user end issue. It could be server side issue.

May 19, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #8,486 of 16,326
I will suggest we better stop guessing what the Android SRC interaction with different player app.  As we are only normal users of a dap, not a programmer or sound engineer.

Simply put that.  I can hear Neutron and Poweramp each having their sound signature. I think that is the reason people buy their player app for use on Android.

Let's really do share of music and experience to tune it for better enjoyment.

The compare of dp-x1 and Fiio x7 should be based on users' preferences. Right?

+1 totally agreed

May 19, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #8,487 of 16,326

That makes sense.  I would think high-quality online and offline playback with the two major streaming services is the principal benefit of this DAP over the majority of others.  It's hard to believe they haven't gotten Tidal offline playback working properly.  You can't really call it portable without solid offline support.  Very bizarre.  I'm going to write to Onkyo support to make sure they're aware of this issue and I hope others that have seen it will do the same so they realize it's a significant problem.  To be clear, I'm talking about the stuttering and artifacts during offline playback, which really seems less excusable than online issues that could be influenced by connection.

May 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,488 of 16,326

I'm very pleased with Spotifies "extreme" quality streaming. And...... it's a lot cheaper than Tidal. I've had 6 months of free Tidal through Echobox and honestly as many times as I've tried to use it, I always end up back at Spotify. I just like the ui so much better, and seem to be able to find more of my musical taste there. Not to mention absolutely NO offline playback issues!

May 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #8,489 of 16,326
May 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8,490 of 16,326
I'm very pleased with Spotifies "extreme" quality streaming. And...... it's a lot cheaper than Tidal. I've had 6 months of free Tidal through Echobox and honestly as many times as I've tried to use it, I always end up back at Spotify. I just like the ui so much better, and seem to be able to find more of my musical taste there. Not to mention absolutely NO offline playback issues!

Does it has a trail period like Tidal?

If so, I may give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back