ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,506 of 16,326
  Interesting , I found DP-X1 superior to ZX2 after all.

Well, to me it's never clearly X is superior to Z but more like X is better at and Z is better at, what I meant was ZX2 has some unique qualities and that's due to unconventional design and use of specific materials and it doesn't sound like any other DAP I have heard. After all, I decided to go for DP-X1 myself after changing my view of the "endgame" DAP to pretty good DAP that can act as great transport for something like Mojo.

Mojo ruined the ZX2 for me, with its own unique qualities, same as the NightHawk ruined the S-EM9 and steered me towards the U12

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #5,507 of 16,326
  the third party apps work but they are not best compatible like default app

I thought of a work around for what I want to do.
I can use a music file editor to add the year in the composer field, as I don't really care about that, and it shows up as a sort in the music player.
I like to hear latest music by itself, usually current or last year; older music I tend to just shuffle, unless I get an urge to listen to an older classic.
So that would work for me.
Thanks again for the help.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #5,508 of 16,326

I thought of a work around for what I want to do.
I can use a music file editor to add the year in the composer field, as I don't really care about that, and it shows up as a sort in the music player.
I like to hear latest music by itself, usually current or last year; older music I tend to just shuffle, unless I get an urge to listen to an older classic.
So that would work for me.
Thanks again for the help.

you need to re-tag entire library like I did. That was a lot of work as I was used to Folder browsing 

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #5,509 of 16,326
I have a feeling folder browsing will make it to the DP-X1, I can't prove that, but I have a good feeling based on the one poster here who said that in Japan on a forum the users made the Onkyo reps who apparently were on the forum aware of the folder browsing which was supposed to be frequently requested by the users there.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #5,511 of 16,326
they will release new update with folder browsing. late Feb. it's official.

This will add at least $100 to the resale value of the DP-X1 LOL!

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #5,514 of 16,326
Lol, I just can't believe people who compared SE vs Balanced and called it "fair"....but let's not start another scientific and technological posts
biggrin.gif
. Ancient UI and no balanced out held me back away from QP1R
biggrin.gif

Still, to me Mojo single ended kicks ass of many balanced implementation, probably not the only example... hell, it can be argued that in some use case, single ended on DP-X1 is better than balanced with lower output impedance...

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,515 of 16,326
Lol, I just can't believe people who compared SE vs Balanced and called it "fair"....but let's not start another scientific and technological posts
biggrin.gif
. Ancient UI and no balanced out held me back away from QP1R
biggrin.gif

why not? balanced on Onkyo is not that superior to Mojo single-ended in this case. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #5,516 of 16,326
  why not? balanced on Onkyo is not that superior to Mojo single-ended in this case. 

I would say they both have their strength, Mojo packs more punch, has crazy dynamic range and DP-X1 has wider soundstage and more holographic imaging (to sum it up)

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #5,517 of 16,326
  im interested, do you have the link?

Hopefully it pans out. Good things come to those that wait they say. The Onkyo may just yet become the full-package (not perfect of course). I'm stoked as well. I'm not sure I need folder browsing, but more options are always better than fewer.

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #5,519 of 16,326
I would say they both have their strength, Mojo packs more punch, has crazy dynamic range and DP-X1 has wider soundstage and more holographic imaging (to sum it up)

Absolutely, and I call holographic or spherical soundstage being a superior in my personal preferences and experiences, the very basic principal for correctly implemented Balanced connection period. But hey, I hear people also have preferences on soundstage, and I know some actually do prefer the soundstage the Mojo offers in SE vs other balanced :D

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #5,520 of 16,326
  If someone can help here and save me the time of searching through this forum, is folder play possible or not with the default music player app?
If not, has someone tested one that does work?
I would like to play album folders within a folder, for example, a folder with all 2015 releases, setup as folders within the 2015 folder, then play all the music within that 2015 folder.
The AK players can do it, so it's not unheard of.
thanks

I seem to remember hearing someone on here saying that according to feedback on a Japanese forum, Onkyo are aware of the fact that many users have requested folder playback and plan to implement it in one of the upcoming software/firmware updates. So it might be worth waiting a month or two before pulling the trigger on buying another player if that's your main sticking point.
Hope this helps. Perhaps someone (one of our lovely Japanese speaking members?) could confirm/deny? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back