ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 26, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #4,321 of 16,328
In total, Customs, HMRC and Parcelforce, £105.30.
Received within 6 days, paid 145 € customs. Customs contacted me and asked me to show proof of payment as they didn't believe PriceJapan's declaration.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,322 of 16,328
  I let go of my mojo as I felt it was mainly muscle. I agree with your DPX1 description

My Mojo ain't going anywhere 
angry_face.gif

Sorry to read you're disappointed, but hell I never expected any DAP to sound as "wow" as Mojo as far as I am concerned... 
Nothing wowed me as much as Mojo (yet) even if ZX2 had distinctive areas where is was better than Mojo (but so does DP-X1 in terms of soundstage and layering).

The great thing with DP-X1 is how good a complement to Mojo it can be :)
They have different qualities, Mojo has incredible dynamics across all spectrum but DP-X1 has better soundstage and layering and more sparkle.

I will need to order balanced cables for my HD800 that terminate to AK type 2.5mm TRRS plug and feedback then.

Fist confirmation on what I said ! thank you...Mojo in SE is probably worth twice it price...hell it even beats Zx2 in SE connection. Wait until you try out balanced and see
smily_headphones1.gif

OK since writing my first impression I have since connected my Aclear Porta NXT-2AK a "headphone conditioner"

This will permit combination of TRS or TRRS in and TRS or TRRS out (3.5 or 2.5 mm)
Using the 2.5mm TRRS out to my Aclear Porta and setting output to Balanced or AGC it does seem to sound better and more detailed than without

Placebo?

Could well be, but this in a way, give me some idea as to what Balanced out may offer IMO (YMMV)

EDIT: I have a bit of a smile now (could also be wind 
blink.gif
)

ps Guess the search for IEM's with AK style 2.5mm TRRS connector preferably with interchangeable cables in £500 and below price range. I would imagine best deals to be had at any upcoming Head Phone events in the UK or a kickstarter

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,323 of 16,328
I ordered my Onkyo when it was first released and received it quickly from Japan. Have a weird issue though, everything I connect to the 3.5mm is loose. Cables pop out with little movement. I've tried a variety of headphones and interconnect cables.

It's got to be a random issue, right? I'm bummed because it's not returnable, and after using it I decided it wasn't for me but I don't want to sell it to someone and pass the issue on to them.

Can you back track my posts to see if it's the same thing that's happening to you?

Quote:
Received within 6 days, paid 145 € customs. Customs contacted me and asked me to show proof of payment as they didn't believe PriceJapan's declaration.

ouch! 
After I saw that eglobalcentral deal for Australia I looked around that site. Turns out they also got a Belgian portal and an .eu one as well. (eglobal is a grey importer based in Honk Kong). So it'd possible to get the DP-X1 with no volume cap inside EU for 599eur with 12 month warranty with free 6-8day local shipping. (for the free shipping it has to be one of the listed countries on their site)

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #4,327 of 16,328

I have Mojo and Onkyo, they pair well together. Without Onkyo as source, I prefer Onkyo over my Mojo + iphone any days ...

Hi, do you know if Tidal app works via OTG in the Onkyo? TIA

It does. I listen to Tidal more than anything else, either with the Onkyo solo or stacked with a Hugo or ALO CDM using an OTG that Konstantin at Lavricables made for me.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #4,331 of 16,328
ouch! 
After I saw that eglobalcentral deal for Australia I looked around that site. Turns out they also got a Belgian portal and an .eu one as well. (eglobal is a grey importer based in Honk Kong). So it'd possible to get the DP-X1 with no volume cap inside EU for 599eur with 12 month warranty with free 6-8day local shipping. (for the free shipping it has to be one of the listed countries on their site)
I bought 2 Ibasso DX-90 from eglobalcentral in EU, best price and fast service, can't complain

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #4,332 of 16,328
Hey there,

I also own the Hugo and was wondering whether that paired with the dpx1 sounds better than using the iPhone 6 + as a source for the same file.

Have always wondered whether source would make a difference on the sound quality despite being the same digital file being sent to the Hugo.

Also does Tidal sound the same from both dpx1 and iPhone 6 + ?

Thanks
James

It does. I listen to Tidal more than anything else, either with the Onkyo solo or stacked with a Hugo or ALO CDM using an OTG that Konstantin at Lavricables made for me.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #4,333 of 16,328
How does the Onkyo sound as a transport for my Favourite Hugo?
tongue.gif
never got a chance to try that. The Hugo is so good it literally ****s bricks on any Dap ive tried. To me at least
smily_headphones1.gif
the mojo is in some ways very very close, but sadly loses out in the open staging and the overall authority and scale. Nevertheless, I think if you could do with mojo's decent but not huge soundstage, it's technically quite the distance ahead of any Dap on the market now.

Hi, what transport and connector do you prefer? Thanks!

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #4,334 of 16,328
Hey there,

I also own the Hugo and was wondering whether that paired with the dpx1 sounds better than using the iPhone 6 + as a source for the same file.

Have always wondered whether source would make a difference on the sound quality despite being the same digital file being sent to the Hugo.

Also does Tidal sound the same from both dpx1 and iPhone 6 + ?

Thanks
James

I can't imagine the source in such a configuration would matter much as the source will simply be outputting a digital stream. So, unless the source has a significant amount of distortion in the digital it outputs, or significant errors, essentially all the sonic characteristics you will hear should be from the Hugo. I could be wrong as I am no expert, but I think you were correct in saying the digital signal being received by Hugo should be the same from either source.

As for Tidal, as I should have stated previously, Tidal will sound different on both players as they both use different hardware and software environments, so whatever general sonic differences exist between them will be reflected in the sound of Tidal. Tidal is the constant, the only variable that changes is the player so the sound will reflect those differences.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #4,335 of 16,328
I never used SE out on Onkyo and I started using Balanced ACG ever since I received it. SE of DPX1 is not as good as ZX2 but Balanced is another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back