ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 26, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,339 of 16,328
Jan 26, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #4,340 of 16,328
Why would someone want to stick with SE if they could utilizes the balanced ? That is beyond me
redface.gif
. I would do anything within my power to use the balanced out hehehe

Mojo's SE is not that hard lo live with, especially when using an unbalanced silver cable. Need me more snake oil, this time balanced. And some of that ultra diluted homeopathic ear cleaner :)

To be honest, I got the DP-X1 for its flat back (LG G4's a bitch to stack), double micro SD slot and Android. My Mojo is not going anywhere, SE and all.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #4,342 of 16,328
  highly subjective lol

Yeah sure, just like how Spiral Ears SE5 Ult is a class above Noble K10 but not many people even hear or know about it and while that K10 - overpriced + overhyped somehow becomes the world best ciem ....

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,346 of 16,328
Hey there,

I also own the Hugo and was wondering whether that paired with the dpx1 sounds better than using the iPhone 6 + as a source for the same file.

Have always wondered whether source would make a difference on the sound quality despite being the same digital file being sent to the Hugo.

Also does Tidal sound the same from both dpx1 and iPhone 6 + ?

Thanks

James

I can't imagine the source in such a configuration would matter much as the source will simply be outputting a digital stream. So, unless the source has a significant amount of distortion in the digital it outputs, or significant errors, essentially all the sonic characteristics you will hear should be from the Hugo. I could be wrong as I am no expert, but I think you were correct in saying the digital signal being received by Hugo should be the same from either source.

As for Tidal, as I should have stated previously, Tidal will sound different on both players as they both use different hardware and software environments, so whatever general sonic differences exist between them will be reflected in the sound of Tidal. Tidal is the constant, the only variable that changes is the player so the sound will reflect those differences.

+1.
Tidal will sound different depending on the player you use, just like any other music medium will. I'm a slight contrarian on head-fi in that i'm axtually quite a fan of the iPhone by itself, with Tidal and some top of the line IEMs. You could enjoy that combo for a long time. The iP (6) has a nice punchy, reasonably bright and crisp sound. The DP-X1 is smoother and richer - more like the old AK120. And when you go balanced on the Onkyo (and I'm sure any other player), the difference starts to seem more night and day.

The pairing with the Hugo (in my case) or Mojo is one of those can-of-worms subjects. I'm pretty sure that music (including Tidal) sounds slightly different with my iPhone + Hugo (or ALO CDM) than with Onkyo + Hugo. This should technically not be the case, so I'm quite prepared to put it down to placebo effect (for context, I'm don't believe in burn in except for valves but I do hear massive differences with different IEM cables).

Either way, the iPhone (or Onkyo) + Hugo (or CDM) sounds better than just the iPhone or the Onkyo (or any other standalone DAP that I've tried). But the nice thing about upgrading from iPhone to a standalone player is that you have the option to have great sound in one box (e.g. lovely balanced output) or use it as a source with a DAC/'amp' like the Mojo/Hugo/CDM - so it's win-win. And your phone gets freed up to just be a communication tool (it's very annoying connecting and dos connecting from a stack all the time, for example), and the battery lasts a lot longer.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #4,347 of 16,328
It does. I listen to Tidal more than anything else, either with the Onkyo solo or stacked with a Hugo or ALO CDM using an OTG that Konstantin at Lavricables made for me.

Can you please tell me how to out with TIDAL I cant seem to make it work with the MOJO, I can only use the MOJO with the Stock player and if I use UAPP.

You might want to check on the Mojo thread as an don't have a Mojo, but it shouldn't make any difference whether Mojo, Hugo or whatever. If you can output music from the transport to the Mojo and hear it fine, then Tidal should output just the same.
I never had an issue running Tidal out of an iPhone 6 to Hugo (using Apple CCK and micro USB or a Lavricables replacement) or now with Onkyo to Hugo (Lavicrables again, but any OTG should work).

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #4,348 of 16,328
Just got a shipping confirmation on the Onkyo from pricejapan. I didnt pay for express delivery and it took 3 weeks to ship out from date of order. So pricejapan did hold up on the 2 to 3 weeks delivery promise. 

Lets hope my AAW 500 reaches on time as well. Dunno if anyone has tried this combo but it "looks" promising. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back