ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 25, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2,417 of 16,326
On a less serious note. Merry Christmas everybody!!! May the coming year bring more awesome audio stuff. =D

I wish I could have Onkyo as a Christmas present, but PriceJapan told me I have to wait until mid January :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,420 of 16,326
Nice, I don't meet a lot of 8A users in my part of the world. Wow, 140-160? What gain setting do you use? On high I use 80.

Without pad:
On high gain- 110
On normal gain- 120

With pad:
On high gain- 140
On normal gain-150, max on DP-X1 is 160.

Adjustment is dependent on recordings. I prefer normal gain as treble sounds smoother.

Digital filter- short
Upsampling- 96k.

Phone cable is solid core silver by GH LGS. Pad used is Wagnus Evo.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #2,421 of 16,326
I heard the Onkyo in SE mode only and I have to say the separation and layering is very good compared to DAP in its price range.

I compared it to Cowon, Plenue M, etc in the 60k - 80k yen range. However as a matter of taste people may prefer a warmer more liquid sound. I agree if separation, layering and clean sound is what you are looking for the Onkyo seems to have in spades. Others may prefer the warmer presentation of something like the zx2 or zx100.

From what people are saying, balanced mode may be even better.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,423 of 16,326

I'm going to get a balanced cable today or tomorrow, so I can't yet comment on the Balanced output, so my comments on SQ will solely be based on SE A.C.G mode.

ACG mode only works in balance as it uses both amp modules.  SE output only use 1 amp module.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,424 of 16,326
Bro, what are the update highlights of the 1.25?

Onkyo doesn't say much and I don't notice any real differences.

see this post 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/2355#post_12187001

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,425 of 16,326
I heard the Onkyo in SE mode only and I have to say the separation and layering is very good compared to DAP in its price range.

I compared it to Cowon, Plenue M, etc in the 60k - 80k yen range. However as a matter of taste people may prefer a warmer more liquid sound. I agree if separation, layering and clean sound is what you are looking for the Onkyo seems to have in spades. Others may prefer the warmer presentation of something like the zx2 or zx100.

From what people are saying, balanced mode may be even better.

I am with you on your comments. I have tested several DAPS, and none is able to tame 8A bass and split that thick mid where at times sounding congested. And I believe DP-X1 excellent separation and layering are the reasons why it is able to make 8A bass sounds more texture and not overpowering, and that thick mid spread evenly and layered blending well with the upper frequencies.

I have tried the Balance mode on my VE6 but I still prefer the SE mode and the ACG select on Balance mode. Maybe my love for open and spacious sound is the reason why SE is still my preferred choice. But I will still continue on Balance mode and see how it goes.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,426 of 16,326
ACG mode only works in balance as it uses both amp modules.  SE output only use 1 amp module.

IIRC Some people said ACG mode affect the sound in SE?

And what if ACG mode is off while using balance? It mean only 1 amp is active?

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,427 of 16,326
IIRC Some people said ACG mode affect the sound in SE?

And what if ACG mode is off while using balance? It mean only 1 amp is active?

For the balance jack you have 4 poles R-/R+/L-/L+, and only in balance are the 2 amps wired to drive one channel each.  For the normal balance mode, the current is allow to flow both directions which means you get the full push/pull for both directions of the coil magnets on the headphone's driver thus more power because the membrane will be driven harder in both directions thus pushing more air therefore more power.  However in ACG balance mode the negative terminal is held at zero instead of going negative flow direction in normal balance mode, the theory is that this should give more control.  

As for why people hear a difference in SE it's probably placebo because Onkyo is very specific about how ACG mode only works in balance, especially because its not software magic but also depends on the hard wiring to do its magic.  SE simply can't work with ACG with its single GND connection.  

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,428 of 16,326
For the balance jack you have 4 poles R-/R+/L-/L+, and only in balance are the 2 amps wired to drive one channel each.  For the normal balance mode, the current is allow to flow both directions which means you get the full push/pull for both directions of the coil magnets on the headphone's driver thus more power because the membrane will be driven harder in both directions thus pushing more air therefore more power.  However in ACG balance mode the negative terminal is held at zero instead of going negative flow direction in normal balance mode, the theory is that this should give more control.  

As for why people hear a difference in SE it's probably placebo because Onkyo is very specific about how ACG mode only works in balance, especially because its not software magic but also depends on the hard wiring to do its magic.  SE simply can't work with ACG with its single GND connection.  

I certainly agree with you in regards to the SE ACG being a placebo effect, since I myself don't hear a difference. Just got my hands on a nobunaga labs medusa balanced cable yesterday though, and hearing my music on balanced with it is just a magical new experience :)

Also, here are some pics!
http://imgur.com/a/0kDUK :D

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2,429 of 16,326
b2b4676e510f9bb8c676f5bf267e16d0.jpg

Anyone try this moon audio cable before with DPX1 with their mojo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,430 of 16,326
A couple of questions here, if I remember no folder browsing with the default music player, correct?
Is there browsing by music tag date?
Other music apps that one may add to the player do not play with same level of sound quality as default music player, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back