ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #15,601 of 16,326
Is it possible to use the DP-X1A as a USB DAC for my MacBook Pro? I have the Tidal app but on the Android version, but it does not allow MQA playback. That option is only available on the Desktop app and I've yet to try listening to MQA.
TIA
I don't believe so. From what I've read, the only way to access MQA is to directly download it through the Onkyo or Pioneer sites. https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/home?select-country=true

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #15,602 of 16,326
Is it possible to use the DP-X1A as a USB DAC for my MacBook Pro? I have the Tidal app but on the Android version, but it does not allow MQA playback. That option is only available on the Desktop app and I've yet to try listening to MQA.
TIA

While I wasn't following the DP-X1 at its launch, there was some speculation here that it might / would support USB DAC functionality.
But, I don't think I've ever seen anything official from Onkyo, saying it was a feature that would be added.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #15,605 of 16,326
The iDSD if I nano
black plays MQA from Tidal Desktop app.

In this case the Tidal app is doing the first unfold of the mqa file. I don’t believe the iDSD unit does any further processing. Most DACs will be able to play the Tidal MQA output but you need a DAC with MQA capability like the meridian to do the second unfold.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #15,606 of 16,326
In this case the Tidal app is doing the first unfold of the mqa file. I don’t believe the iDSD unit does any further processing. Most DACs will be able to play the Tidal MQA output but you need a DAC with MQA capability like the meridian to do the second unfold.
It has MQA capability according to specs.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #15,607 of 16,326
It has MQA capability according to specs.

My apologies. I didn’t see it listed in the specs but see there’s been a firmware upgrade to add it to previous units back to 2013. Cool!

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #15,609 of 16,326
MQA is overhyped or my ears are not picking up any differences. I play the same tracks with the same setup and I dont hear any difference from the same track in FLAC. So if you are basing your purchase solely on mqa I suggest you try before buying

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #15,613 of 16,326
It's all good, no worries. It sounds great by the way. Shows a Magenta glow.

I actually have an older iDSD Micro and this discussion alerted me to the availability of the MQA firmware update, so I'll get to try it for myself....Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back