Onkyo DAC-HA300
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 86
I will get the DAC-HA300 on loan for 2 weeks for a review. I kind of like the idea, that this unit works both ways. As a DAC with my iPhone 5S and at the same time as a DAP, with a Micro-SD Card inside.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #24 of 86
Dude, their description says DSD 5.6mhz, it means DSD 256.

I'm surprised that you're saying that. 11.2mhz is DSD 256.
5.6mhz is DSD128.
2.8mhz is DSD64.
HA300's description doesn't say it supports DSD64 nor DSD256. DSD256 is pretty rare in portable electronics before 2015. Onkyo DPX1 and Pioneer 100R, iBasso D14 Bushmaster are the first models to support DSD 256.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 86
Looks like a made a few mix ups there, I got mixed up when you said DSD56, you probably mean't DSD64. Anyway P90 and HA300 both support max of DSD128, I was half asleep when I said it was 256/11.2mhz 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #28 of 86

Got the HA300 today and listened for an hour or so. That thing does so much right and so much wrong at the same time. It's almost heartbreaking. I love the idea of having the best of both worlds (a dap and a dac at the same time) and while the dac is working great with my iPhone 5s and the SQ is great, i just can't understand why Onkyo is not supporting ALAC when using the HA300 as a DAP with a MicroSD Card. I mean, they implemented a direct iOS Support, so i don't need that CCK, but at the same time they won't allow a Mac User like me, who has all his music in iTunes in lossless ALAC, to play his ALAC Files on the HA300. 

So i am currently loading all my DSD and 24bit FLAC's to my other MicroSD Card in order to play some Music with the DAP Function of the HA300. I will see how this turns out, try to keep you Guys updated.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 86

Got the HA300 today and listened for an hour or so. That thing does so much right and so much wrong at the same time. It's almost heartbreaking. I love the idea of having the best of both worlds (a dap and a dac at the same time) and while the dac is working great with my iPhone 5s and the SQ is great, i just can't understand why Onkyo is not supporting ALAC when using the HA300 as a DAP with a MicroSD Card. I mean, they implemented a direct iOS Support, so i don't need that CCK, but at the same time they won't allow a Mac User like me, who has all his music in iTunes in lossless ALAC, to play his ALAC Files on the HA300. 

So i am currently loading all my DSD and 24bit FLAC's to my other MicroSD Card in order to play some Music with the DAP Function of the HA300. I will see how this turns out, try to keep you Guys updated.

Awesome.

How much did you pay for HA 300?
also, please compare it to Geek Out 1000, DX90, many other dacs, even a desktop model.

Thanks,

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #30 of 86
  Awesome.

How much did you pay for HA 300?
also, please compare it to Geek Out 1000, DX90, many other dacs, even a desktop model.

Thanks,

My HA300 is on loan. But at the moment it would sell for 467 EUR here in Germany. I listened to it for 3 hours last evening and enjoyed it. At first i was shocked how low the volume was, even on high-gain using my InEar Stagediver 2. I was at max volume (high gain) and still could barely achieve a moderat listening level. Later i found out, that there is a setting, that was set to "ear protect". You can switch it from "Ear Protect" to "-20dB", "-10dB" and "0dB". Which to be honest, is a wonderful idea from Onkyo. This way you can easily use the most sensitive IEMs at the "-20dB" Setting without any hiss and the volume is right were it belongs.

I need to test the HA300 with my full-size Headphones today, but i feel that there is plenty of power to drive those higher-impedance Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back