Onkyo DAC-HA300
Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #46 of 86
I've got DX90 and HA300 (and lots of other daps also), I prefer HA300 over DX90, I've also compared against X5ii and N6, I prefer HA300 over both. HA300 and P90SD are the best dap's I've heard in terms of SQ. I'm also getting X7ii on tour in a couple of weeks so I can compare that as well. The problem is HA300 only sorts based on tag's and it needs the tags to be redone to display songs in correct albums, most people can't bother doing this (including me), so I just let it play on random.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #47 of 86
I've got DX90 and HA300 (and lots of other daps also), I prefer HA300 over DX90, I've also compared against X5ii and N6, I prefer HA300 over both. HA300 and P90SD are the best dap's I've heard in terms of SQ. I'm also getting X7ii on tour in a couple of weeks so I can compare that as well. The problem is HA300 only sorts based on tag's and it needs the tags to be redone to display songs in correct albums, most people can't bother doing this (including me), so I just let it play on random.

This is my major frustration re tagging, I can't find any info on how to even go about relabelling files to put on it. I also can't get the Onkyo player for IOS or windows to recognise the player. Hope it still worked out a bargain for you in the end man! 

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #49 of 86
Have you heard the ha200? I'm convinced I like it better from memory but am sticking with the 3 for another couple of weeks until I turn it back on for a comparison.

Dont suppose you could point me in the right direction to the tagging stuff so when I start ripping my discs it will have some semblance of order? The current plan is try a program called tagger this weekend. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #50 of 86
I haven't tried figuring out the tagging. Nothing wrong with preferring the HA200 for it's warmer sound, the HA300 is more of a reference aimed product, as you can tell, it is exceedingly neutral, clear and accurate, you said you mainly used it in your car?, that is one scenario where a warmer sound often sounds better due to ambient noise level. But even straight from headphones a neutral sound is an acquired taste that needs to be developed, couple years ago I was all for warm sound, these days I'm for neutral, preferences change over time. HA300 bests most daps, even some pricier ones, it has technical ability in spades.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #51 of 86
Yeah I'm starting to appreciate the detail and neutrality. Only occasionally used in the car, I mainly use with se846 and bass filters. Will be putting on some choral and classical later with the neutral filters and then really tell the difference I think! Also think one of my custom moulds as become loose and lost a little seal so heading back to the shure buds. 

Hows the pono player compare?

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #52 of 86
Pono is also on the slightly warmer side, it has a few quirks like a 3.25ohm output impedance means it would not work well with your 8ohm se846, and Ayres custom minimum phase filter means that there is slight treble roll off with mp3 and 16/44 lossless, only high res files escape the treble roll off due to their bandwidth. There is reasons for all that though, the 3.25ohm output impedance is due to a discrete component Class A amp output which can switch to Class AB for higher loads, and Ayres custom minimum phase filter sounds very natural compared to the standard chip built in filters used in every other dap. Pono is my second favorite dap after HA300 /P90SD, once you work around the Pono's quirks you are left with an excellent sound that I highly recommend, obviously if you mainly wanted to use se846 with pono then I couldn't recommend it though.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #54 of 86
  I have onkyo and I'm curious about the difference ( if any ) between this one and teac...

I will compare the two in-depth soon, I'm just getting enough hours on the HA300 to even the playing field, but I can tell you even atm the difference is small, both are extremely balanced and precise, but have slightly different tonality.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #55 of 86
So I've had some decent hours listening on my SE846 with bass filters and the 300 has come in to it's own as my brain has got used to less bass but more detail and clarity vs the Onkyo HA200. I initially was listening using tidal hifi and some iTunes matched files via usb. I then bought some CDs and have ripped to FLAC using Max.  

Being a newbie I'm lacking the experience and lingo to give much insight into sound differences but from a layman point of view the overall sound is more spacious, cleaner and far more pleasant than the HA200, which initially I missed on making the switch. Plugging the 200 back in the difference is subtly staggering. The base is less 'wow' but more balanced allowing the rest of the music to shine through. 

Obviously the HA200 is a plug to source unit and the HA300 has the micro SD capacity. I've therefore given my iPhone a new lease of battery life and don't miss the sodding elastic bands and cables. The unit is bigger but I managed phone in one and 300 in the other no problem.

Battery life is basically the same for both in terms of what I'm noticing. Neither charges an iPhone 5 or iPad, however I got my old man a 200 and it charges his android. The HA300 doesn't charge when plugged into my macbook air 2012 via usb - mini usb but the HA200 does. The power charger works from both pc and mains into a standard usb plug. Takes a couple of hours. 

You can load up the micro SD by plugging the unit in with it installed or using the adaptor. I tried the Onkyo HF player for windows and mac - totally crap, doesn't recognise the device and no response from Onkyo support so will be the last bit of kit I get from them. I'm using max to rip and then drag the FLACs in.

The SD card sits on the side below the scrolling wheel. There's also a lock button which freezes the front buttons and wheel but not the volume - which can be suddenly turned up when putting in one's pocket. However the very sensible volume safety function (3 different settings) as described before provided protection against this, as they get mega loud!

In terms of controlling your sources, its done on a hierarchy system with USB input trumping all others I believe so you essentially only have what you are listening to plugged in with no switch (like the 200 has).

The media player caused me some probs initially with my existing iTunes library, splitting albums and not reading genres etc, however tagger fixed this before I decided to start my monthly CD purchase after quitting the cigs again (10 years = a nice tidy collection sitting 10000 miles away in the UK!) I'm using a program called max which is native for mac and that reads artist, album and tracks perfectly on the onkyo. As I get more into this I'll look into programs like EAC but to be honest the four albums I did today sound fantastic, trumping Tidal hifi in my opinion through the HA300. 

The equaliser on the 300 has 5 settings: classical, pops, rock, jazz and off. I quite like the rock but tend to go with off. 

Navigating tunes is quite easy ONLY if the tags are sorted or you're happy just to load and play as TRANCE says. I find the wheel a massive pain in the ass personally and would prefer more control in terms of menu sublayers using the nice front buttons. 

Overall I'm glad I got it but not sure I would pay the full whack for it in terms of added functionality over using a straight up amp/dac with my phone/ipad. Sound wise it sounds amazing to my ears, however I hope more seasoned guys break that bit down as I have limited experiences of different kit to compare it to!

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #56 of 86

I have auditioned P90SD and I liked the sound however the soundstage was to narrow for my likling (vs DX100 DAP or vs Continental V3 amp).
How wide/deep is HA300 vs P90SD in terms of the soundstage?

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #57 of 86
Pretty good review. I have mine now too. Im using it only with Audio-Technica im02 in ears and foam tips so my review is limited an bias.
The 'sound stage' in my chamber music is very good, I can definitely hear space in the sound and also a lot of depth - particularly up in the female vocal range. The boost here is probably the ATim02 as the brand is known for having that sound that flatters female vocals.

I have listened to a wide variety of tunes, rock, classic metal, chamber strings, solo guitar, classic pop / samba recordings all from internal micro sd ripped from my CDs in wav. One of the recordings is my self on classical guitar. I performed, recorded, mixed and engineered the recordings and know them like my mother's voice so I can say with authority what the Onkyo sounds like through these particular in-ears. It sounds very detailed in the upper mid until about 6-10khz where it begins to roll off treble response. In fact the roll off sounds very musical and most people wouldn't notice anything missing, but I do because of my recording. In the harmonic regions it sounds dark lets say (a bit chocolate). The low mids are harmonically supportive but not at all matching the upper mids and I sometimes feel like this audio set is not fully complimenting each other as a crescendo for chamber orchestra should have a certain rumble especially in passages such as Vivaldi 4 seasons Summer Mv III. The bass is like a child you never hear but only see, it never ever stands out which is annoying (perhaps my Koss Porta Pros will add something to this when I return from holiday?) as you need to hear some bass reply and counterpoint. 

EQ- using the EQ presets adds some extra stuff like edgy treble at about 10khz in the rock setting but none of the presets improve the bass and none of them sound as good as the flat EQ off setting. EQ off sounds fullest and the most accurate and together if you understand? In truth the EQ settings only add the tinniest amount of effect and are indeed very subtle. The bass is never really improved in any preset which makes me wonder if it is my ear buds which are known for a tough fit.

As a travelling playback unit I couldnt be happier, it is strong, simple to navigate, feels like it asking price and it also looks rather serious -pretentious people like me admire this quality most :wink:

So far I wish that it would connect to my windows computer and also my android player properly (probably my fault I haven't configured it right yet). I also wish it had the Onkyo App style EQ or at least some sort of bass treble shelf EQ you could play with in the unit. I also wish it wasn't as dark in the region of harmonics but at least it sounds fantastic, that which I do hear always sounds high class and rich and there are never anything ugly to note.

Ill probably up date my review once I have compared it to my other play back devices:
Koss Porta Pro head phones
Windows, Foobar, Tascam UH7000 DAC Interface (used this to record my CD), Eric McChanson KT88 12Watt Tube Stereo, PSB Alpha B1 speakers
Wish I had some good cans to add to this list :wink: 

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #58 of 86
  The bass is like a child you never hear but only see, it never ever stands out which is annoying

Awesome insight, I understand all you said but could never point these details out myself! I'll try a week or so with the neutral and then the bright Shure filters and report back. I've kind of got used to the reduced bass but you nailed it with the above comment, although with the base 846s and some dark tracks such as shadows or veins from Hot like 82 the kid sometimes falls out the cupboard. A recording of Allegri's miserere I made as boy weirdly shows up the passing London buses since using the Onkyos! Your tracks available for general listening?

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #59 of 86
  I have auditioned P90SD and I liked the sound however the soundstage was to narrow for my likling (vs DX100 DAP or vs Continental V3 amp).
How wide/deep is HA300 vs P90SD in terms of the soundstage?

The P90SD is small in sound stage, the HA300 I would call a medium size sound stage, definitely better than P90SD. Imo once you let yourself sink into the music you forget about the sound soundstage and the timbre and texture is more important, which is where the P90SD and HA300 excel above other daps. I am testing a Fiio X7 as I type this and I would not trade my P90SD or HA300 for the Fiio X7.

Quote:

I have listened to a wide variety of tunes, rock, classic metal, chamber strings, solo guitar, classic pop / samba recordings all from internal micro sd ripped from my CDs in wav. One of the recordings is my self on classical guitar. I performed, recorded, mixed and engineered the recordings and know them like my mother's voice so I can say with authority what the Onkyo sounds like through these particular in-ears. It sounds very detailed in the upper mid until about 6-10khz where it begins to roll off treble response. In fact the roll off sounds very musical and most people wouldn't notice anything missing, but I do because of my recording. In the harmonic regions it sounds dark lets say (a bit chocolate). The low mids are harmonically supportive but not at all matching the upper mids and I sometimes feel like this audio set is not fully complimenting each other as a crescendo for chamber orchestra should have a certain rumble especially in passages such as Vivaldi 4 seasons Summer Mv III. The bass is like a child you never hear but only see, it never ever stands out which is annoying (perhaps my Koss Porta Pros will add something to this when I return from holiday?) as you need to hear some bass reply and counterpoint. 

I very much echo your findings. Although I also found that with further use these traits diminished, whether this was due to hardware burn in or brain burn in I don't know, you definitely sound like a very perceptive individual (like myself 
biggrin.gif
), I think if you stick with the HA300 you will come to love it very much as I have. I'm rocking good old Koss Portapro's myself 
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #60 of 86
I plan to stick with this device, unless I try the Teac P90SD and it solves some of the EQ issues. I think that once I get the ONKYO app wrking with this device the it will be better as the ONKYO App has a great sound and a great EQ.
It's an expensive device for a family man so I think most people investing in it will do so on a commitment basis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back