Onkyo DAC Amp HA200
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #62 of 97
No, it can't be charged via lightning cable.
But u can charge it via micro-usb, or with it's bundled charger.

Do you mean the bundled charger cable? AFAIK there was no supplied charger.
I was wondering if an iPhone charger with the supplied USB to 3.5 jack would work. Having removed the lightning cable from the Apple charger.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #65 of 97
Picked up the Onkyo for a song (NZD200 / USD135) a few days ago to meet my portable needs. Was using the aptX bluetooth Sony MDR XB950BT, but the bass got a bit much for me in the end. Once I'd set up a decent home rig (Pro-Ject DAC Box S USB & Head Box S) I realised the Sony's bass was more quantity than quality, even with the boost button off. Otherwise it was actually pretty good.

Anyway I've had a couple of sessions with the HA-200 and I think it's a fantastic little dac/amp, even at twice what I paid and more.

I'm feeding it Spotify Premium from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra via OTG USB. Cans are my beloved SMS Street on ear and Denon AH-D600. Haven't had the Denon for long. Recently I had a purge and got rid of some 'phones including the PSB M4U1 and AT ATH A500X. Both of those were very good, but a little bass light for my taste.

The SMS and Denon are easy to drive so on high gain I'm not even getting to 12 o'clock on the volume knob.

I agree with previous posts that the sound is relaxed and slightly warmer than neutral, which suits me just fine. Treble is smooth but detailed, midrange is sweet enough and isn't recessed. Bass is muscular and potent, yet pretty well controlled. Dynamically pretty good, but maybe a touch languid and not the best choice for trebleheads.

Soundstage is reasonably wide, if not deep and imaging is very good.

All in all the little Onkyo punches well above its weight I reckon and gives my slightly cleaner and more open and neutral Pro-Ject rig a scare.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #66 of 97
Picked up the Onkyo for a song (NZD200 / USD135) a few days ago to meet my portable needs. Was using the aptX bluetooth Sony MDR XB950BT, but the bass got a bit much for me in the end. Once I'd set up a decent home rig (Pro-Ject DAC Box S USB & Head Box S) I realised the Sony's bass was more quantity than quality, even with the boost button off. Otherwise it was actually pretty good.

Anyway I've had a couple of sessions with the HA-200 and I think it's a fantastic little dac/amp, even at twice what I paid and more.

Nice to see the HA200 getting a bit of love. :) Like you I got mine for very little money and could not be better pleased with it.
If only it wasn't so bulky and heavy this would be it for me.
I agree with all your impressions. Exactly what I would say.
A little known gem.

May 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #67 of 97
Technically, this is NOT a "re-branded" TEAC.  Onkyo & TEAC each own 10% of the other.  They jointly developed it...or, to be more specific, the engineer who developed it was working for both companies.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #68 of 97

The Onkyo HA200 is probably one of the best kept DAC secrets for iPhones. It sounds amazing with an iPhone SE, which is the newest iPhone, built with the same/better components of the 6s but the same smaller size as the 5s which I prefer. I previously owned a much more expensive DAC, the VMODA VAMP for years and the VAMP was good, but the sound from the HA200 is more appealing/warmer.

My music source is Spotify Premium and I listen to all kinds of music with the HA200 + Fidelio X2 cans which is an audiophiles dream without having to pay extreme. Next on my bucket list is to partner the HA200 with the new Beyerdamic T5P 2nd generation headphones. It will be a nice find if more expensive tesla cans make a huge difference. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #69 of 97
I haven't tried the HA200 yet but I am planning too (I am not able to test it in Paris..). I recently tried JDS LABS C5D and found it pretty good enough. How do you think HA200 will fare against the likes of C5D?
I use .flac and Apple music as my primary source, with a little inclination towards alternate and metal (Coldplay, U2, Pink Floyd and sometimes when I go nuts AC DC). I have Sennheiser HD 598, JBL synchros s500 and se215 IEMs. Would HA200 be a better choice for me over C5D?

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #70 of 97
JDS labs is another one of my faves.

Though I've never heard the C5D DAC+AMP with headphones, I do own it's sister JDS standalone ODAC connected to a computer + tube amplifier and the clarity, sound is superb. I suspect the C5D has similar DAC specs and it will be a nice addition to your iPhone. To be honest, I almost purchased the C5D but found the HA200 on sale and couldn't pass up the offer. 

If I compare the aesthetic look of the C5D versus the HA200, I prefer the HA200. It just looks elegant placed next to my headphones and a bit of a showpiece. The other pro is the HA200 big rotating volume knob. It's very smooth and always sets perfect volume the first time.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #71 of 97
I haven't tried the HA200 yet but I am planning too (I am not able to test it in Paris..). I recently tried JDS LABS C5D and found it pretty good enough. How do you think HA200 will fare against the likes of C5D?
I use .flac and Apple music as my primary source, with a little inclination towards alternate and metal (Coldplay, U2, Pink Floyd and sometimes when I go nuts AC DC). I have Sennheiser HD 598, JBL synchros s500 and se215 IEMs. Would HA200 be a better choice for me over C5D?

I haven't the C5D. The HA200 was the device that convinced me that the SQ of the iPhone could be bettered. I have heard the Mojo a couple of times and couldn't hear any improvement over my 5Sor 6S. Thousands of posts on here cannot be wrong though so maybe that's just me!
The HA200 gives more depth and detail to the bass and enhances the soundstage to give a spacious sound. I would like the treble to be a bit more forward. The treble is there but you have to listen for it.
Overall the HA200 does not give what I would call an audiophile sound, neutral and transparent. Instead it gives a musical sound that is very pleasant to listen to.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #74 of 97
Hi, I would use the HA-200 together with a AR-M20 player to drive the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2 .. What do you think? 

Is it a good combination?

Thanks!

I wouldn't have thought so as the T1 are 600 ohms. I don't know much technically but I was told the M20 would drive my 300 ohm. HD 600's to "reasonable " levels. I take it the M2 is not an option.
Seems a shame to bypass the internals of the M20. You might as well use a phone at that point.
Are you going portable with the semi open T1's? IME a stack is a PITA and to be avoided.
I would have thought that there are better options than the HA200 for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back