One Genre for the Rest of Your Life...What Would It Be?
Jan 30, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Singer-songwriter ... It's exclusive in the sense that one wouldn't use it to describe band-based songwriters, or for that matter "pop" singers, whether or not they write their own stuff.

So, for instance, does Kylie Minogue count as a 'singer/songwriter' or not?

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #19 of 51
Acoustic

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 51
Hmm...tough questions. Classical, perhaps. Particularly Baroque. More particularly, Bach and Weiss.

But then again, Celtic music has some of the most moody and beautiful melodies I've ever heard...from mournfully sad to joyously happy...I could live with that choice as well.

As I wrote...tough question.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #22 of 51
I think I would stick with Radiohead, if that isn't a genre than definately classical tho I thought Doc's answer about celtic above was very insightful! Very tough question! grrrr. At least I have my three desert island disks picked.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, for instance, does Kylie Minogue count as a 'singer/songwriter' or not?

biggrin.gif

No
wink.gif

Most of Kylie's stuff was either written for her or she has a songwriting credit on the song ... which might mean that she helped write it or might mean that she made sure that she was in on the royalties before she agreed to record it. I've never seen anything of Kylie that would suggest that she was a songwriter: for her early stuff she was just a hired pair of lungs for Stock Aitken and Waterman. Even if she did cowrite every song (and even Elton John needs Bernie Taupin!) her music is too much pop to be included in my single genre.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #29 of 51
I would probably say metal, encompassing all subgenres there are, but for some reason, my first instinct was to say Post Rock. I think I could probably live forever listening to stuff like Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparowes, Godspeed You Black Emperor, etc. Yeah, give me that kind of music and a good stack of books and I'm set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back