One amp to rule them all?? - HD600, SR325i, HD595, K420 and possibly MS1
Oct 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dxps26

100+ Head-Fier
gurus,
Need your help- i'm almost done acquiring a fairly decent set of phones, and I dont think my DIY solid-state amp(modded with 120ohm resistors to ground) cuts the mustard. I will be using an old toshiba laptop and a Cowon D2 as a source, and sometimes a Moto DROID(Shoutcast)

I listen to classical, rock(specifically live recordings)but i enjoy bits and pieces of other things too.

Considering DA convertors, i'm thinking it might be a good idea - My computer runs Linux(ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and i'm concerned about driver support for DAC's via USB if i get an amp that has a DAC. however, most of my listening is via the D2, which has excellent SQ, so, i think i can skip the DAC - but - your opinions are welcome. I'm not experienced with tubes and how they work, especially their maintenance, usable life, burn-in, rolling et al. Solid State or Hybrid designs seem to be a more stable and promising solution ( but hey, if i knew this, would i be here asking for help??
biggrin.gif
)

Cost is a major consideration, and i'm looking to stay below the $300 limit including S&H. This puts me in the territory occupied by the likes of the Maverick D1/A1, LDMk3, M-stage, Cute Beyond etc. I really want to dodge the DIY route. i gave up that hobby years ago, all that work needs time, and when you work 12 hours a day, a magnifying glass and a soldering iron is the last thing you want to mess with at the end of your shift.

I know my T&C don't have a lot of wiggle room, but let's see what the best minds (and Ears) at Head-Fi can do!!

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back