One $400 or Two $200 headphones?
Dec 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #46 of 88
Unfortunately, whatever route you take, you will end up spending tons of money on many pairs of headphones.  Getting to this point is just part of the game.

If you go with the 2 $200 headphones, you'll be able to mix and match with different types of music... you have more versatility and, well, more toys.

You will soon wonder what a better headphone sounds like, and sell one (or both) to upgrade (or maybe you get more money).

Once you have made the plunge into the $400-$500 range, you will probably want to invest in a complimenting amp.  At this point, you will be looking to buy more $400 or higher headphones because you have expanded your horizons and won't find yourself reaching for the $200 pairs as much (unless they suit an everyday activity such as walking around, jogging, or just toss around cans).

I started with cheaper headphones and no longer own them as they became down payments for the more accurate detailed headphones.

I think you will be ok with either 2 $200 pairs of headphones or 1 $400 pair (you may need an amp at this range though).  No matter what you choose, you will ultimately continue to upgrade and expand, and those $200 headphones will begin to collect dust and now you will own 3 pairs of $500 headphones and still want more.  It's the name of the game!

Enjoy!

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #47 of 88
Quote:
No, what they say is true. The true concern is if you really need to spend the equivalent of that one more expensive headphone.
I do switch around my headphones a lot depending on what I'm doing, or what I feel like having on my head (weight, comfort, isolation, etc.) and here's a summary...
So yeah... a lot of them just don't get much head time at all. Under 04/14 is already very occasional usage. Under 09/14 is practically rare.
Not entirely based on SQ. Some of them aren't very comfortable due to very old pads. If I listed them in order of SQ the list would be very different.

So the reason why I would nominate the $400 single pair is because when you have too many of them you just don't use them. Unless you are selling your current ones, then two $200 ones could make perfect sense if they have very different sound signatures. Two very similar sounding ones (like my HP-1a and YH-1) will usually end up with one hardly ever used.

Wow thanks for the visual!  I guess this is making me feel like less is more.  I'll probably end up with the HE-400, but I just want to feel like I'm not breaking the bank on something that isn't versatile enough to cover all of my needs.  

Some of your headphones are classics though...where'd you find them if you don't mind my asking?

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:
Realistically, I say two $200 headphones (or better $250 headphones) are more ideal. You can get one closed, and one open for example. The versatility of having two good headphones outweighs one great one that is limited, IMHO.
As far as personal uses:
HE-400: My main headphone when listening to music or wanting the best SQ for games and movies. Can't say I listen to my full-sized cans that much, ironically. My neck doesn't support full-sized headphones that well, even light ones.
Yuin G1A, home comfort headphone especially when laying down and watching TV shows or anime. Don't see myself using these for music a lot, though we'll see. Just ordered them.
KSC35: The most used, mainly at work in which I use 5 hours a night or more. Used them a lot at home, but is gonna be replaced by the Yuins.
KSC75: Whenever the clips on the 35 make my ears sore (after a few hours, it does), I'll settle for the more comfy 75. Not as pleasant sounding, but still very good, and incredibly comfortable.
UE500, locked away somewhere... used it in my old job when I walked around and didn't wanna have my clip-ons out there for everyone to see. No reason to have them anymore.

That's interesting that your HE-400s get so little use compared to the cheaper stuff.  Do you feel limited at all by your HE-400 MLE?  You said you don't use it as much as your Yuin's, so I'm guessing comfort is a big issue for you.  Why wouldn't you go for supreme comfort then with something smaller or more portable that can give you HE-400 sound quality?  I honestly don't know if that's even possible, or else the HE-400 would be smaller 
rolleyes.gif
   Unless you went the custom IEM route.  

I personally love good sub bass as long as it doesn't smear over the rest of the frequencies.  The Denon's are perfect in that regard.  I remember the HE-400 being great too, but less in quantity compared to the Denon's.  If I wanted something with Denon-like sub bass, but left myself the extra money for something that could provide what was missing like PRAT or good soundstaging, would a DT770 Pro be a good choice, and use the left over $230ish for another headphone? Or just go with an HE-400 and be done with it?

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #50 of 88
Quote:
Nice thread. Given you own or have listened to a variety of phones, get two $400 phones and be done with it.
Cheers!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! And I just might in the end...then again people would argue that I should just save up for an $800 headphone then 
rolleyes.gif
  This is tough because there are very reasonable opinions on both sides of the fence. I do love hearing those opinions though. Even if I'm having a hard time deciding, it's still cool to hear what everybody else's opinion on the matter is.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #51 of 88
Quote:
Unfortunately, whatever route you take, you will end up spending tons of money on many pairs of headphones.  Getting to this point is just part of the game.

If you go with the 2 $200 headphones, you'll be able to mix and match with different types of music... you have more versatility and, well, more toys.

You will soon wonder what a better headphone sounds like, and sell one (or both) to upgrade (or maybe you get more money).

Once you have made the plunge into the $400-$500 range, you will probably want to invest in a complimenting amp.  At this point, you will be looking to buy more $400 or higher headphones because you have expanded your horizons and won't find yourself reaching for the $200 pairs as much (unless they suit an everyday activity such as walking around, jogging, or just toss around cans).

I started with cheaper headphones and no longer own them as they became down payments for the more accurate detailed headphones.

I think you will be ok with either 2 $200 pairs of headphones or 1 $400 pair (you may need an amp at this range though).  No matter what you choose, you will ultimately continue to upgrade and expand, and those $200 headphones will begin to collect dust and now you will own 3 pairs of $500 headphones and still want more.  It's the name of the game!

Enjoy!

I'm scared and excited at the same time because I know you're right.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #52 of 88
That's interesting that your HE-400s get so little use compared to the cheaper stuff.  Do you feel limited at all by your HE-400 MLE?  You said you don't use it as much as your Yuin's, so I'm guessing comfort is a big issue for you.  Why wouldn't you go for supreme comfort then with something smaller or more portable that can give you HE-400 sound quality?  I honestly don't know if that's even possible, or else the HE-400 would be smaller :rolleyes:    Unless you went the custom IEM route.  

I personally love good sub bass as long as it doesn't smear over the rest of the frequencies.  The Denon's are perfect in that regard.  I remember the HE-400 being great too, but less in quantity compared to the Denon's.  If I wanted something with Denon-like sub bass, but left myself the extra money for something that could provide what was missing like PRAT or good soundstaging, would a DT770 Pro be a good choice, and use the left over $230ish for another headphone? Or just go with an HE-400 and be done with it?

I just dont tend to wear full sized headphones that much. Mostly when I'm gaming. If im relaxing, I prefer the feel of not having anything on my head, which is a huge benefit of clip on headphones. I just wish there was more options.

My problem wasnt limited to just the HE400. I love them. They are comfy enough, but due to their very open nature, anything blocking the driver affects sound. Since I lay down a lot, my pillows cover the drivers a bit at times.

I think the best fullsized headphones to wear while laying down is the HD650 due to the oval shape. The drivers aren't as affected as the HE400s.

I still havent gotten the Yuins yet. Just ordered them yesterday.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #53 of 88
sounds like u are heading towards the $400.... n he400.
http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_62
a nice cable and maybe a balanced amp to go with
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm
...u are on a roll man !!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #54 of 88
Quote:
I just dont tend to wear full sized headphones that much. Mostly when I'm gaming. If im relaxing, I prefer the feel of not having anything on my head, which is a huge benefit of clip on headphones. I just wish there was more options.
My problem wasnt limited to just the HE400. I love them. They are comfy enough, but due to their very open nature, anything blocking the driver affects sound. Since I lay down a lot, my pillows cover the drivers a bit at times.
I think the best fullsized headphones to wear while laying down is the HD650 due to the oval shape. The drivers aren't as affected as the HE400s.

I haven't heard the G1A, but I do own the YUIN G2A and IMO it sounds worse than my much cheaper KSC75.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #55 of 88
Quote:

I can wrap my head around that.  If I were laying down watching a movie or something, I'd probably end up just using my HD 558's anyways (same oval shape as HD650).  I'd prefer to use the HE-400 for movies with that luscious sub-bass. Then again, if a bit of pillow blocking the driver makes a big difference then I'll take your word for it.

Maybe some good earbuds are the way to go for you though?  My PK3's sound great (lacking a bit in the bass though) and they're quite comfortable too.  I usually forget I have them on after a minute or two. Plus there's some room to upgrade to something like the Yuin PK1 or the Blox TM7 (still trying to find these).  I should probably try some clip-ons eventually though. Everybody seems to rave about how much you can get out of those KSC's.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #56 of 88
FWIR, the G1A sounds a lot like a small HD650. Also, the G2A sounds different from the G1A. Hell, the G2A has been discontinued, while the G1A is a staple Head-Direct can.

Time will tell. I will let you know if theyre any good. I do love my KSC75 and KSC35 especially, so the G1A has a lot to live up to. Main difference is that the G1A is known to need some decent amping, unlike other clip ons.

I hate sticking anything in my ear, so earbuds and IEMs are out.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #57 of 88
Quote:
FWIR, the G1A sounds a lot like a small HD650. Also, the G2A sounds different from the G1A. Hell, the G2A has been discontinued, while the G1A is a staple Head-Direct can.
Time will tell. I will let you know if theyre any good. I do love my KSC75 and KSC35 especially, so the G1A has a lot to live up to. Main difference is that the G1A is known to need some decent amping, unlike other clip ons.
I hate sticking anything in my ear, so earbuds and IEMs are out.

Are you planning on adding the G1A to the gaming guide?  Those ratings are amazing at quickly giving you a decent idea how those headphones stack up against each other.  

My ears are starting to agree with you too, I still haven't found IEM's that I would say are a great fit, or even good. Mostly ranging from acceptable to "how to people where these things?" Hopefully some foam tips will help on my current ones. The earbuds are a lot better for comfort in my opinion, but if you need isolation in a small package, IEM's are still impossible to beat.  Hence putting up with the crappy fit.  For $15 I need to get some KSC-75s.  They'd be great for running or going to the gym.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #58 of 88
Yeah, theyre definitely going on the gaming thread, assuming theyre good enough for my other purposes. I know I dont add everything I've owned, but since the75 and 35 work pretty well for gaming, I need to stack the G1A against them in every way. I dont like to compare headphones directly unless necessary, but this is one of those times.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #59 of 88
Quote:
Yeah, theyre definitely going on the gaming thread, assuming theyre good enough for my other purposes. I know I dont add everything I've owned, but since the75 and 35 work pretty well for gaming, I need to stack the G1A against them in every way. I dont like to compare headphones directly unless necessary, but this is one of those times.

Sounds good. Looking forward to it!

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #60 of 88
One $400.-- headphone.

At that price level, you have headphones that can
create an incredible, immersive experience which goes beyond listening to/hearing music.

(Also depends on your electronics and sources of course.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back