One $400 or Two $200 headphones?
Dec 19, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #61 of 88
I think speaking about sources and other electronics is a fair point here.

No matter what headphone you choose to go with, be prepared that the total sum of your purchase isn't necessarily going to be whatever your headphones cost, as some headphones need better amping to really shine and so on. Take the HD650 for instance: some people swear that it improves drastically with higher-end amping, which of course will cost some as well. Now, don't take my example about the HD650 as a truth or even as my own statement; I'm merely paraphrasing what I've read both here and there (also, it was just an example).

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #62 of 88
Quote:
I think speaking about sources and other electronics is a fair point here.

No matter what headphone you choose to go with, be prepared that the total sum of your purchase isn't necessarily going to be whatever your headphones cost, as some headphones need better amping to really shine and so on. Take the HD650 for instance: some people swear that it improves drastically with higher-end amping, which of course will cost some as well. Now, don't take my example about the HD650 as a truth or even as my own statement; I'm merely paraphrasing what I've read both here and there (also, it was just an example).

Thanks for the advice. In the poll though, I was posing the question without reference to the source or amp, because I wanted to make this about the headphones. So assuming I have the best amp in the world, what would you go for?  One headphone, or more than one?

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:
One $400.-- headphone.

At that price level, you have headphones that can
create an incredible, immersive experience which goes beyond listening to/hearing music.

(Also depends on your electronics and sources of course.)

I think this is starting to show up as the popular vote. One great $400 headphone can bring a lot more to the table than any single $200 headphone. Even a second headphone might not mitigate the differences enough, even when playing something that $200 headphone is known for being good at. Plus there's always the possibility of saving for another higher end headphone down the line, while getting a ton of performance out of that $400 can.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #64 of 88
Quote:
Wow thanks for the visual!  I guess this is making me feel like less is more.  I'll probably end up with the HE-400, but I just want to feel like I'm not breaking the bank on something that isn't versatile enough to cover all of my needs.  

Some of your headphones are classics though...where'd you find them if you don't mind my asking?

I sure broke the bank with my collection :S
If you can land on something flat enough, with A BIT of boosted bass and treble, those will pretty much be as versatile as can get. Assuming they've got decent response and speed.
But besides that, I did not check the prices in the US but here the HD558 are already $200 so spending on two more pairs of $200 headphones is sort of side pacing. Not necessarily a bad thing but not necessarily a good one either.
As for people talking about resale value, a $400 headphone can be resold too when you want to upgrade--though there is typically slightly less buyers, no doubt.

Where to find? The usual: the trade forum on Head-Fi, ebay, and local classifieds :D
Living in the states you can generally find much better deals but that will also depend. Vintage stuff can be great sounding but very often you need a bit/lot of tweaking in terms of comfort and sound. And if you break em, they're goners :S
I have a few more not listed, still trying to figure out how to make them usable again (i.e. new headband or pads, etc.)

Quote:
I just dont tend to wear full sized headphones that much. Mostly when I'm gaming. If im relaxing, I prefer the feel of not having anything on my head, which is a huge benefit of clip on headphones. I just wish there was more options.

Wish I was able to feel comfortable on clip-ons :S
More options? Sony PFR-V1! The pinnacle of comfort! :D
No, not really. I tried them on only very briefly, maybe I didn't grasp the proper way to wearing them but it was anything but comfortabe xD

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #66 of 88
Quote:
There's a lot of places that argue that two headphones of equal value to one expensive one is a better deal. I linked to the Headfonia article at the beginning of the thread where they say 3 $300 headphones is better than 1 $900 headphone.  I just wanted to see how the community feels about that.  

It seems like most people agree with you though.

I still just don't get the rational behind it.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #67 of 88
Maybe because the 300 dollar price range is right where the law of dimishing returns is at it's strongest? That price range has some truly stellar cans. If I had a need for 3 cans, I would definitely choose them over one expensive one.

One great open, one great closed, one great portable.

Cant do that with one.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #68 of 88
Quote:
Maybe because the 300 dollar price range is right where the law of dimishing returns is at it's strongest? That price range has some truly stellar cans. If I had a need for 3 cans, I would definitely choose them over one expensive one.
Cant do that with one.

It comes down to versatility vs pure performance. Some in this hobby prefer the former, some the latter. I would very much rather sacrifice some versatility just so that I can get the absolute greatest audio performance out of the money I spend, which is opposite to your philosophy, but that's fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #69 of 88

Quote:
Cant do that with one.

I agree that's definitely the point they're trying to convey, but it's also regardless of price to them.  They're arguing that three cans are better than one with at the same total price - all the way up to the top, for example 3-$1000 headphones vs 1-$3000.

It comes down to versatility vs pure performance. Some in this hobby prefer the former, some the latter. I would very much rather sacrifice some versatility just so that I can get the absolute greatest audio performance out of the money I spend, which is opposite to your philosophy, but that's fine.

For right now, I'm heading down that path too.  I want the most headphone I can get for my budget, and I'll work on rounding out my collection sometime down the line. Although I do like the sound of having a great closed, open, and portable headphone.  Time to save up for a TH-900, and some customs 
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #71 of 88
Quote:
I sure broke the bank with my collection :S
If you can land on something flat enough, with A BIT of boosted bass and treble, those will pretty much be as versatile as can get. Assuming they've got decent response and speed.
But besides that, I did not check the prices in the US but here the HD558 are already $200 so spending on two more pairs of $200 headphones is sort of side pacing. Not necessarily a bad thing but not necessarily a good one either.
As for people talking about resale value, a $400 headphone can be resold too when you want to upgrade--though there is typically slightly less buyers, no doubt.

Where to find? The usual: the trade forum on Head-Fi, ebay, and local classifieds :D
Living in the states you can generally find much better deals but that will also depend. Vintage stuff can be great sounding but very often you need a bit/lot of tweaking in terms of comfort and sound. And if you break em, they're goners :S
I have a few more not listed, still trying to figure out how to make them usable again (i.e. new headband or pads, etc.)

Wish I was able to feel comfortable on clip-ons :S
More options? Sony PFR-V1! The pinnacle of comfort! :D
No, not really. I tried them on only very briefly, maybe I didn't grasp the proper way to wearing them but it was anything but comfortabe xD

Scouring the used forums for the old gems sounds like a ton of fun, but I'm not sure how good I'd be at it to be honest with you. I'm not that well versed with the older gear since I wasn't around to enjoy it 
wink.gif
  Maybe in 30 years I'll be telling all the kids about all the cool stuff I had when I was young haha.  

That being said, I really want to get into modding. I think I'm going to get myself a pair of KSC-75s and work on them for a while. Then if I do get an HE-400 I'll probably try the grill mod too. I like the idea of personalizing my gear and tweaking it to my liking.  I already removed the stupid foam pads on my HD 558's which was actually much easier than I expected, and helped them out a lot in my opinion.  I'm ready for a bit more advanced stuff though 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #72 of 88
Quote:
Cant do that with one.

Yep, if there is a need for versatility, then this is with no doubt the way to go.

@Wild:
Dynamic drivers seem to be mainly affected by changes done on the ear-side of the headphones. Planars are more likely to reflect changes on either side.
That said, planars also work best with your ears as close to the drivers as possible.
The only problem with modding, as can be expected, is resale value can drop significantly unless you're a well known modder. If you do catch the upgrade bug again after the, say, HE-400, it may pose a problem to resale if the grill mod has been done.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #73 of 88
Dunno about the HE400. That one definitely sounds better with more distance between your ear and the drivers...

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #74 of 88
The HE-400's have shown me it's all about going with a single better pair, I haven't really listened to my D2000's at all since getting these. The only other thing I use often nowadays are my Heir 3 ai's and gr07's for on the go. Hell if you really want some veriety just get a second mid-high end pair down the line and be even happier. I'm currently trying to decide what my next pair should be and if I should drop the extra cash for a true step up like the he-500's or LCD2's.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #75 of 88
Quote:
Yep, if there is a need for versatility, then this is with no doubt the way to go.

@Wild:
Dynamic drivers seem to be mainly affected by changes done on the ear-side of the headphones. Planars are more likely to reflect changes on either side.
That said, planars also work best with your ears as close to the drivers as possible.
The only problem with modding, as can be expected, is resale value can drop significantly unless you're a well known modder. If you do catch the upgrade bug again after the, say, HE-400, it may pose a problem to resale if the grill mod has been done.

I honestly don't know if I need versatility right now though. That's one of the reasons this is a tough decision.  It's not like I sit on the Subway or a bus all day long or something where some good portables would be nice.  I think going with one $400 headphone right now that I'll use a lot is probably the way to go.  If I eventually need that portability or isolation or whatever down the road, then I'll find something for that situation.

As far as the HE 400 grill mod, I'm pretty sure they just pop the original grill off and replace it with one they made.  Meaning they don't modify the original grill at all.  If they were to sell them they could just pop the original back on and it would be good as new (I think.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back