Once and for all... Which would fit me best?
Jan 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CSGO rice

CAUTION: Incomplete trades.
IP address matches Panerai.
Right now, I have the HD 600's and Mad Dogs running out of the Schiit M&M stack.
I don't really like either of them.  Mad dogs don't sound real and has sort of a veil to it.  HD 600's feel like they can't keep up with the type of music I listen to and the detail/accuracy isn't great. 

I am looking at the HE-400, HE-500, and LCD-2.
I figured planar was the way to go.

The type of music I listen to is: Flyleaf, The academy is..., jason mraz, paramore, all time low, death cab for cutie, some modern top 40's and tons of violin stuff.
There's a lot of fast instrumentation going on with these artists, and I want to be able to hear them clearly instead of blurred together like with the headphones I currently have.

I'm slightly sensitive to treble.
I've actually had the HE-400's before when they first came out and I returned them cause I didn't have an amp.  I liked them though.

I like a juicy and transparent sound.  Clean and clear.  I want to to be able to hear a lot more of the different instruments in my music.

I am going to sell off both of my headphones and get one of these 3.  I can't audition them anywhere close by ( I live in Bloomington, IN) so I'm just going to take someone's advice on here and hope for the best.

Sorry for the kind of noob questions though, I've read reviews after reviews and still wasn't happy with the 2 headphones I ended up getting.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 9
It's my opinion the HE-500 will be a tad bright based on what the OP stated. I think the LCD would satisfy the most.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 9
OK.  Last question I promise.
For those that have heard both, do you think the difference between HD 600 and LCD 2 are night and day?
For example... I thought the difference from going from 555 to 600 was minimal. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
OK.  Last question I promise.
For those that have heard both, do you think the difference between HD 600 and LCD 2 are night and day?
For example... I thought the difference from going from 555 to 600 was minimal. 

None of it is night and day. That phrase is slung around here way too often. Everything in this hobby after a certain point is minutia in terms of differences, but people will make wild claims about these massive differences. The reality is that it's just their perception and someone else can hear the same thing and say something completely different. The LCD2 is better, in my opinion, but that's assuming you like it's sound signature more than the HD600. And it also goes to factor in comfort of wearing it for a few hours; as the LCD2 is a heavy, bulky headphone with faux leather pads. The HD600 is a light weight, slim headphone with velour pads. Very different to wear. The HD600 is brighter, less low end. The LCD2 is a little darker, more low end.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back