On the prowl again for IEM. Need input.
Mar 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 21
Everyone in this thread but 1 person suggested Sm3. I would stick with that its almost always reported of having of darker treble. Which is not rolled off just tamed. But if you feel as if the W4 is for you then get it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #18 of 21
I just didn't read anything about the SM3 that makes me think they're what I'm looking for. The adjectives that are used describe its sonic signature just didn't seem to match my ideal Plus, I have no way of getting them locally--there's no local distributors for them, and international warranties can be tricky if not downright unfriendly.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 21
I'd suggest the W4 as well to add a vote in that regard - I sold off a pair of 535s after hearing the W4s and literally couldn't be happier. The midrange was too much for me as well, and I prefer not to EQ. I can't imagine another IEM sounding any better to my ears and sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Well, that's why I thought you should read it, to find out whether they could be "the one" for you. Recommendations can only do so much. I've read a lot of feedback from Shure owners, but can't remember anyone else complaining about their too bright upper mids. Seems to me you're extra sensitive in that region. Since I've found the SM3's sound sig being somehow reminiscent of the SE530, minus a dip around 6-7kHz, I thought they'd be worth considering. Here's their FR-graph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, it's that 7KHz peak that's driving me mad--I hate it. It's really piercing and fatiguing. You can see that the SE535 is uniquely bright in that area:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731&graphID[]=733&graphID[]=2271&graphID[]=693

I would like to find a pair of IEM's that isn't sibilant/bright in that range, but with bass that's at least as authoritative as the SE535, and ideally with a bit more air in the upper treble (13Khz~16KHz range).

It looks like the dummy head used in that SM3 measurement has a half-wavelength resonance peak a little under 9 kHz. It reminds me of the Headroom measurement for the old Shure E4c:

The SM3 has more energy above 15kHz, but it's similar. That is, if they used the same dummy head and subtracted the same HRTF. Those are big ifs. Obviously, the SM3 will have a different plot for impedance vs. frequency because it's a multi-driver design with a crossover. But if the data can be compared directly, the response should be similar with a low-impedance headphone amplifier.

You had a problem with the E4c, so you might want to contact someone local who has the SM3 and ask for a proper audition.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 21
Also remember this is according to each ear you might get it and find it un-sibilant this is where your leap of faith comes in.

As much problems as you can have with the W4 you could have problems with the SM3, DDM, S4 or any other phone.

See if you can get some loaners from fellow Head-fi members or someone you actually know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back