on-ear headphones for primarily death metal & grind?
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #31 of 50

Quote:

The AD700 is infamous for it's lack of low-end. This is not my opinion, this is just proven fact. Not that it matters though, if you enjoy them for metal than that's perfectly fine. 
beerchug.gif
 What other headphones do you own? Maybe you just haven't heard metal the way it's supposed to sound. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

if i want to hear something the way it is supposed to sound the logical thing to do would be to play it back through a medium that reproduces the signal the exact same way it was recorded, aka an accurate headphone/speaker. flat response over hyped lows/highs/mids always wins, hands down. DBT has proven that both trained and untrained listeners, both audiophiles and people who could care less will mark accurate speakers/headphones as the "best sounding" on their charts. for example, harman did a DBT with several people once and nearly all of them preferred the infinity speakers to speakers costing hundreds of thousands more, why? because they were THE MOST accurate speakers out of the entire bunch. harman is pretty reputable when it comes to true scientific product design and testing and focuses on things that hold real scientific weight, all these un-tested claims of nonsense cables, DACs, amp crap, thats all it is, untested claims 
wink.gif
 sound most certainly is NOT subjective. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
if i want to hear something the way it is supposed to sound the logical thing to do would be to play it back through a medium that reproduces the signal the exact same way it was recorded, aka an accurate headphone/speaker. 

Yeah very interesting. Flawed as well. You're suggesting you only need one headphone for everything. No signature, no house-sound, no emphasized frequencies, no bassheads, no treble sparkle, no... well you get the point. 

For example, my friend owns a set of dead neutral studio monitors (Genelec) and, even though they are wonderful for mixing and mastering, they are BORING as hell for casual listening. Especially metal, where most of the production is pretty low budget and everything is poorly recorded, either through wall-of-sound production or just a lack of production completely. :) 

Also,
I own the AD700. It's just not that neutral. Fancy graphs only illustrate the clinical, cold, measured output, they don't tell you how the headphone will sound to your own human ears. Furthermore, neutrality means it should at least contain SOME bass. (There is bass in real life you know.) The AD700 is basslight and the ultra wide soundstage just isn't that suited for metal. Makes it all too spacious, not focused enough, thin and washed out. Classical and jazz work wonderful though. Gaming and watching movies too. Metal? I don't think so. There are much better options in my opinion. :) \m/

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #33 of 50
ah but you see i LOVE how studio monitors sound, i have always attributed colorations such as "sparkle" or emphasized frequencies with bad sounding speakers or headphones. i just like flat accurate sound and nothing else sounds good to me or ever will. my dad has some flat studio monitoring equipment and he himself has said "i would never use these to listen to music just to record" and after hearing how they sounded i gave him a whats wrong with you? look 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 50
oh and im not saying grados are inaccurate, they are acceptably flat.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:Originally Posted by yepimonfire 

"oh and im not saying grados are inaccurate, they are acceptably flat."

Grados are colored. Not really what I would call a neutral headphone.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:Originally Posted by yepimonfire 

"oh and im not saying grados are inaccurate, they are acceptably flat."

Grados are colored. Not really what I would call a neutral headphone.

Yeah they're colored. They're awesome-colored. Incidentally, "awesome" looks a lot like black.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:Originally Posted by DocBlasto 

"Yeah they're colored. They're awesome-colored. Incidentally, "awesome" looks a lot like black."

Yes they're fun sounding and good looking headphones.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #38 of 50
i guess i don't know if i'd want flat or colored.

i think i'd like increased bass...but not entirely sure. and just to clarify, most of the death i'm listening to is not super lo-fi...most of my library is post probably...2002.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 50
Um, yeah, Grado is good for anything rock-oriented.  And whether a metalhead would like to admit it or not, death metal is directly associated with rock.  Anyway, Grado sounds great on all my death/extreme metal; Bodom, Opeth, Lamb of God, etc.  They sound amazing, actually.  They sound best on Dillinger Escape Plan, actually.  Haha.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #40 of 50
association is subjective. devourment sounds absolutely nothing like the beatles.

and really none of those bands are extreme or remotely heavy, aside from a few dillinger escape plan tracks.

that being said, my grados started crackling within a couple days, so i'm no longer interested in them.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #41 of 50
that's called the grattle.  hair stuck in the grille case.  blow the grille.

and, heavy metal is a deviation of rock.  death metal is a deviation of heavy metal.  

lol, opeth not heavy?  yeah, bodom and lamb of god aren't, but opeth and dillinger are quite heavy.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:Originally Posted by tribestros 

"that's called the grattle.  hair stuck in the grille case.  blow the grille.
and, heavy metal is a deviation of rock.  death metal is a deviation of heavy metal.  
lol, opeth not heavy?  yeah, bodom and lamb of god aren't, but opeth and dillinger are quite heavy."

Except for "Damnation" Opeth is heavy. I don't think anyone is mistaking Opeth for Michael Bolton. :D

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:Originally Posted by dustinxsober 

"touche,
but michael bolton is to opeth,
as opeth is to the music i'm describing. not even in the same ballpark.

i'll give blowing out the grill a shot, thanks."

Any example of the music you're referring to? I'll give them a try. I like Opeth because of the musicianship, their well recorded albums and are dynamic that's atypical of the "wall of sound" that is the norm.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #45 of 50
tech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMk6QkO_Kc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4J9p1cCXQ&feature=fvst

slam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Vb1FEAUEc

closest stuff to opeth that i listen to would be necrophagist i guess...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZjIRi6Yl4&feature=related
just cause it's a lot cleaner, melodic, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back