on-ear headphones for primarily death metal & grind?
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 50

Quote:
Quote:

Get an accurate headphone with a flat frequency response and it will be good for everything. Decent bass extension is a must for that sort of music IMO due to heavy use of kick drums and bass guitars that don't simply follow the leads.

any particular suggestions? i was under the impression the grados were just that. thanks.

for the most part grados are, the only thing they are lacking is the 5-10dB dip between 3-8khz that is required due to the way the outer part of the ear attenuates those frequencies. headphones channel sound directly into the ear therefore they must compensate for this effect. grados also tend to have a "smile curve" on the bass and mid-range area which is not desirable.

here is a good example of a fairly accurate headphones frequency response graph

ideally, you want a headphone that does not deviate from the 0 dBr line all the way to 3khz, then dips gradually from 3khz at 0dBr to -10dBr at 5khz then gently goes back up to the 0dBr mark at 10khz, quickly dropping off to -10dBr from 10khz, and goes slightly back up towards the ultra high frequencies to -5dBr. you are never going to get exactly that but the closer you can get the more accurate and neutral sounding the headphone will be.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 50
here is an even better example of an extremely accurate headphone

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #18 of 50
Did someone just suggest the AD700 for metal? Trust me, I own the AD700 and it's THE LAST can I would use when I listen to my metal. It's perfect for gaming and light classical music because of it's wide soundstage but they're the exact opposite of a metal can. I still stand a 100% by my previous suggestion of the HD25-1. Most brutal headphone around. 
wink_face.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

What's your source? I'm pretty surprised you didn't like the Grado SR60i. That headphone was my first love and brought my metal to a whole new level. I'm starting to think your source could use some improvement. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #19 of 50
Did someone just suggest the AD700 for metal? Trust me, I own the AD700 and it's THE LAST can I would use when I listen to my metal. It's perfect for gaming and light classical music because of it's wide soundstage but they're the exact opposite of a metal can. I still stand a 100% by my previous suggestion of the HD25-1. Most brutal headphone around. 
wink_face.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

What's your source? I'm pretty surprised you didn't like the Grado SR60i. That headphone was my first love and brought my metal to a whole new level. I'm starting to think your source could use some improvement. 

the hd25-1 is a bit more then i'm looking to spend. not completely ruling it out, but it's about 50 more then i was wanting to spend.

source is my imac at work, so i don't think that's the issue? i've also been using them with my roland td-8 electronic drums, which they really do sound phenomenal with.

i'd probably be moderately happy with them if it weren't for the buzzing within 3 days. that's just unacceptable and they're totally un-listenable now.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #21 of 50
I listen to death metal like Opeth and Slayer and I think the Grado SR-225 is a great can for them. I didn't feel there was a lack of bass punch. Grados are either love it or hate it in terms of comfort. I still think they're one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #22 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
here is an even better example of an extremely accurate headphone

understood, but can you suggest any that meet the specifications you're suggesting?

well, those are a good start (the MDR 7506) the point i'm making is that the closer you can get to that perfect accuracy the better, although in both the speaker and headphone world, it just does not exist. Headphones are inherently less accurate then speakers but can achieve a much flatter response simply due to the room acoustics being out of the equation. a speaker with a perfectly flat frequency response graph when put into a real room will end up being more like +/- 15 dB throughout the spectrum. And whoever said the AD-700's were bad for metal, all i can say is what??? they bring out tons of subtle nuances and have incredible transient response while having decent low end, they are pretty much perfect for everything.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 50

Quote:
And whoever said the AD-700's were bad for metal, all i can say is what??? they bring out tons of subtle nuances and have incredible transient response while having decent low end, they are pretty much perfect for everything.

The AD700 is infamous for it's lack of low-end. This is not my opinion, this is just proven fact. Not that it matters though, if you enjoy them for metal than that's perfectly fine. 
beerchug.gif
 What other headphones do you own? Maybe you just haven't heard metal the way it's supposed to sound. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 50
I own both the HD25 and a pair of Grado SR80 and for metal the Senns are much more suitable, IMO. Better bass kick, same agressive presentation of the mids yet no ear bleeding. Brutal metal on the Grados is just painful, I think. Do yourself a favor and try to audition a pair of HD25s. They are excellent cans, if you can find a good deal for them.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #25 of 50
@yepimonfire - apologies, didn't realize those charts had item numbers on them until after i'd replied.

@owners of grados - is buzzing/crackling part of the break-in process? the right ear was doing it for 2-3 days, but now the left ear is while the right seems to have stopped. a bit stumped.

looks like i really need to try out some hd25s....sheesh, seems like a ton to drop on headphones but i do use them daily...

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 50
Rarely. People who get HD 25 II have unusually high satisfaction rates.

Quote:
hd25s ever pop up used? i haven't the cred here apparently to post a WTB ad...

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 50
Grado=God tier for rock/metal I'm a fairly HUGE metal head my self so my grados were a great match. the sibilance of the 80i's is really really annoying so I'm upgrading for the rs-2's. I have the HD25-II and they are good but they just lack somthing for metal, its a bit hard to explane but its just slightly lacking I think it's just not colored enough and I loves me some color in my sound.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 50

My pair of Grados didn't crackle at all before or after. Maybe you have something stuck to the driver. As for used HD25s, I got mine used from a guy who's a DJ, for half the price (they're around 300$ new over here, crazy). He just sold them so he could fund his new Adidas HD25s.. Awesome cans! :D

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #30 of 50
Although they're twice the price of most of the headphones people are discussing here, AND they're over-the-ear, the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro-80 are awesome headphones which can be had for $190. They'll put out serious rumbly bass and still have good detail in the mids and highs. I wear them all-day at work (they are VERY comfortable) and the sound isn't fatiguing like some of the Grados.

I do love Grado, and own a pair of SR225's which are my still my favorite headphone. But for all-day comfort on both your head and ears, and big bassy dynamic tracks, the DT's are superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back