on-ear headphones for primarily death metal & grind?
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

dustinxsober

New Head-Fier
done a bit of browsing, but all i've seen are talks of enya and pink floyd.

are any headphones known to be particularly good for listening to death metal & grind?

was primarily looking at the lower end grados (sr60i, sr80) and sennheisers (hd 228, hd238). looking for something comfortable enough to wear 4-10 hours a day. not interesting in over ear headphones...just too bulky.

they won't be transported, and i'm not too concerned with sound leakage (to a degree...) or noise cancellation. i'd prefer to hear co-workers talking to me if i want to.

let me know if there are any other factors i should mention when asking for advice...thanks.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 50
I've heard the 228s with death metal and wasn't impressed. They REALLY aren't good for the music I listen to (metal). I'd hear people recommending the low end grados all day long for rock and from what little time I've listened to them, I have to agree. They don't have a whole lot of bass, though, so if having really "thumpy" double bass is important to you, you may want to check out other cans with more bass. Oh and yes, headphones are great for any genre of music, including death and grind metal 
wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 50
For rock music, look no further than Grado's line of headphones.  The only possible issue is you may find them a bit uncomfortable a first, but there are remedies for that.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 50

Quote:
I've heard the 228s with death metal and wasn't impressed. They REALLY aren't good for the music I listen to (metal). I'd hear people recommending the low end grados all day long for rock and from what little time I've listened to them, I have to agree. They don't have a whole lot of bass, though, so if having really "thumpy" double bass is important to you, you may want to check out other cans with more bass. Oh and yes, headphones are great for any genre of music, including death and grind metal 
wink_face.gif

any recommendations for something with more bass?

i guess i don't want 'thumping bass'...most of the stuff i'm into has really clicky/punch kicks, but a lot of bass an mid-range in the mix. tough.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 50
Really?  Death metal is not considered part of the greater rock genre?  I've always assumed it was just another form of rock.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 50
Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Closed enough to provide isolation and not disturb your surrounding, open enough to hear what's going on. Excellent clarity for a portable can and a visceral bass punch. Mind you, the bass isn't going BOOM BOOM BOOM. Comfortable enough, and with the velour pads definitely more comfortable than Grado's. I prefer this can over my Grado HD225i for the more extreme metal genres. A lot of death metal and grindcore albums have pretty harsh/low-fi production and the Grado makes these sometimes too harsh (because of the bright treble and forward sound) and thus fatigueing. I have been listening to death and black metal for the past 15 years and the HD25 is the best can I've ever used for these genres on the go. 

And dude, you're not looking hard enough: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/397407/lets-talk-metal/2850#post_7340127

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 50

Quote:
Really?  Death metal is not considered part of the greater rock genre?  I've always assumed it was just another form of rock.

The needed sonic characteristics on a pair of headphones if you are going to listen to death metal with them are VERY different to the characteristics needed for rock. Have you listened to death metal? It sounds completely different to rock. There are drums, guitars, growled vocals and other instruments going on at the same time since the song starts until it ends; so instrument separation and sounstage are vital IMO. Death metal is much more complex than rock, you need headphones that make understanding it easier.

Please, if you don't like death metal, or don't know how it sounds, don't recommend headphones for rock.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 50
I listen to hardcore/metalcore/deathcore stuff and a select few death metal bands and I'll say Grados still work perfect for them. I have the SR80i and I think everything is just right, even the bass. I listen from easy indie/alternative all the way up to really hardcore stuff and my SR80i sounds best with those genres. Pretty soon I'm going to mod them and make them woodies and they will be even better!
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
The needed sonic characteristics on a pair of headphones if you are going to listen to death metal with them are VERY different to the characteristics needed for rock. Have you listened to death metal? It sounds completely different to rock. There are drums, guitars, growled vocals and other instruments going on at the same time since the song starts until it ends; so instrument separation and sounstage are vital IMO. Death metal is much more complex than rock, you need headphones that make understanding it easier.

Please, if you don't like death metal, or don't know how it sounds, don't recommend headphones for rock.

Ah, thanks for clearing my misconception up, I'll remember that for future reference.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 50
so i grabbed the grado 60is.

3 days in, and the right earphone is buzzing.

the sound is alright...it's definitely a bit...more clear then the $30 sony studio headphones i was using before, but not double-the-price good. durability wise though, they obviously can't hold a candle.

so i'm sending these back...

would like something with more bass, and maybe something that don't allow quite as much sound to escape (though this is less critical then the bass).

i like a lot of 8-string metal like ion dissonance and the tony danza tapdance extravaganza, and the bass just isn't there for stuff like this.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 50

Quote:
done a bit of browsing, but all i've seen are talks of enya and pink floyd.

are any headphones known to be particularly good for listening to death metal & grind?

was primarily looking at the lower end grados (sr60i, sr80) and sennheisers (hd 228, hd238). looking for something comfortable enough to wear 4-10 hours a day. not interesting in over ear headphones...just too bulky.

they won't be transported, and i'm not too concerned with sound leakage (to a degree...) or noise cancellation. i'd prefer to hear co-workers talking to me if i want to.

let me know if there are any other factors i should mention when asking for advice...thanks.

Get an accurate headphone with a flat frequency response and it will be good for everything. Decent bass extension is a must for that sort of music IMO due to heavy use of kick drums and bass guitars that don't simply follow the leads.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 50
Nevermind this post, I forgot you didn't want over the ear headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back