On a mission to like jazz
May 13, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #2,852 of 5,030
photo_2019-05-13 13.13.36.jpeg
New album of Brad Mehldau will be released really soon, and it's a masterpiece you can't miss :)
Preview from Porta.Fi: https://porta.fi/brad-mehldau-finding-gabriel/

May 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,853 of 5,030
May 13, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #2,856 of 5,030
I just received the Sennheiser HD800 and coupled with my Benchmark dac John Coltrane's Blue Train Tidal master sounds incredible.

Wow! I was following the Benchmark DAC for a long time, almost bought it. Other things came up and I needed to set up a two-channel system, alas not including Benchmark. And Blue Train is magical!

May 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #2,857 of 5,030
Wow! I was following the Benchmark DAC for a long time, almost bought it. Other things came up and I needed to set up a two-channel system, alas not including Benchmark. And Blue Train is magical!

I have the original Blue Note vinyl of Blue Train. Pretty magical on a VPI Scout also!

May 13, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,861 of 5,030
My introduction to jazz was The Easy Street Jazz Band, now on the threshold of its 50th anniversary as the most senior jazz band in Ann Arbor, MI. Many, many YouTube videos, most filmed by videographer Laura Wyman, are available. They are generally filmed at the Zal Gaz Grotto, where the band still appears every Tuesday at 5:30 pm.

Unfortunately, both its founder, cornetist/trumpter/sax player Paul Klinger (who actually lived on Easy Street in Ann Arbor), and the world-renown pianist James Dapogny (who also had the James Dapogny Chicago Jazz Band) passed away over the past two months. The band continues under the leadership of trombonist Terry Kimura.

The band specializes in traditional jazz and Dixieland jazz, ending at the start of the big band era. It truly is a labor of love for these top musicians to appear every Tuesday plus for numerous special occasions.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,864 of 5,030
I could not believe it when I stumbled on the Blue Note vinyl release of Song for my Father (used) at a local record store. The cover has some damage, but the vinyl is NM.

May 13, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,865 of 5,030
I could not believe it when I stumbled on the Blue Note vinyl release of Song for my Father (used) at a local record store. The cover has some damage, but the vinyl is NM.

I guess I‘d be completely freaking out if I‘d discovered any of those great classics, like for example ‚Kind of Blue‘. There‘s this film: ‚Runaway Bride‘ where Julia Roberts casually gives the ‚Kind of Blue’ LP to Richard Gere, not knowing what precious gift she hands over. Happens only to Richard Gere, not to me :)!
My father‘s Jazz collection just vanished over time. He was an engineer we moved from construction to construction place and with every move some of his precious LPs either broke or could not be found anymore. Sadly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back