OMG - TONS of bass from DT880 (05) - here's how...
Nov 29, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
This has been a shocker for me. I have been wanting to try a pair of 05/06 DT880's, just to see how they differed from both the 05/06 DT990 (which I love), and the older DT880 (which I hated, because for me they had nowhere near enough bass).

Well, I got a pair, and tried them, and my impression was that they were better balanced than the 2003 DT880's, but still would not be a headphone I would love.

Then, juts for yucks, I replaced the stock velour pads with a pair of Beyer "pleather" earpads. HOLY COW! BASS! Gobs of bass. Almost too much upper bass. I am really surprised. I couldn't believe the difference. I had to put the velour pads back on just to make sure I wasn't nuts. Nope - these pleather pads give the DT880 a totally different sound signature in the bass.

Next test will be putting some of Beyer's genuine leather earpads on them. That's what I use on the DT990's, and, oddly, I noticed very little difference between the velour pads and the real leather pads on the DT990's.

All that said, I still prefer the DT990's. But I am keeping the DT880's with the pleather pads on them. They sound great! So if you wish your DT880's had more bass - get yourself some of these pads! They can be had on EBay.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 54
Wow, care to try all three pads on all four Beyers?
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, care to try all three pads on all four Beyers?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, at some point I will
orphsmile.gif

But this was a real ear-opener.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 54
i didn't see any on eBay. What model did the pleather and leather earpads come from? And do you know if we can order them from Beyerdynamic, or maybe if Todd or Tyll can get them? This sounds pretty good!

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 54
Nov 29, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I replaced the stock velour pads with a pair of Beyer "pleather" earpads. HOLY COW! BASS! Gobs of bass. Almost too much upper bass. I am really surprised. I couldn't believe the difference.

That's very interesting. I'd like to try this tweak. I wouldn't want to change my '03 DT-880 bass too much though because I think they have a unique quality. The bass(low bass) is never forced but when it's time to get busy they can really pump out quality low bass.

I use a processor to help them along sometimes, of course they'll never do what the Darth Beyers do but I've been very impressed with my 880 when listening to groups such as Infected Mushroom, Ozric Tentacles, Massive Attack, etc.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 54
When I heard the DT880 05 they had a lot more balls to the bass when driven balanced, as opposed to the DT990, whose bass becomes a bit more controlled.

I have a theory about your discovery Skylab. The DT990 has an area behind the driver which is essentially completely open to the outside (behind the metal vent), whereas the DT880 has a complete layer of a felt-like material between the grille and driver (thus giving it the semi-open status). Well, using a denser pad that presumable lets little, if any air through would nary effect the DT990, as it has a large, low impedance airflow path already. However, with the DT880, which acts more closed, the air cannot dissipate as quickly, and thus on notes which move the most air (bass) the volume reaching the ear is greater than intended in the original design. Of course, I could be wrong
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 54
Hey Skylab, have you noticed the (p)leather pads affecting the sound of your DT-770's at all?

Aditya

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 54
Ooohhhhh no.... Not another pad-swapping madness like there's always been with the Grados!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooohhhhh no.... Not another pad-swapping madness like there's always been with the Grados!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Yep. If you say RS1 you better say with bowls, reverse bowls, flats etc.
Soon we may see "my DT990 with pleather (Skylab modded) sound better than with leather, but velour is OK too..." Well, we could all blame Skylab then
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Personally I like to wear my Beyers with Grado sandpaper pads.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. If you say RS1 you better say with bowls, reverse bowls, flats etc.
Soon we may see "my DT990 with pleather (Skylab modded) sound better than with leather, but velour is OK too..." Well, we could all blame Skylab then
wink.gif

LOL! Yes by all means blame me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab, have you noticed the (p)leather pads affecting the sound of your DT-770's at all?

Aditya

I have only tried the genuine leather pads on the DT770, and I felt their effect was minimal, but if anything there was a little fuller upper bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the dt880 retain its large airy soundstage with the pleather pads on? Is the sound still balanced, too?
lambda.gif

The soundstage for sure is still terrific. The balance, however, is definitely changed. It will not make everyone happy. I prefer it, but it does make the DT880 a bassier headphone!

And IronDreamer, your theory makes sense to me.

Over the weekend I plan to experiment more with all my Beyers and pads.

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 54
hrmm... I might have to do some pad-rolling on my 880;s
icon10.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 54
Skylab, I knew you'd have the resources and ingenuity to make those "old" 880s of mine reach their capability.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back