Omega watch advice?
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dayum dude! That's quite a gift!

Watches were meant to be worn. It's a sin to keep a watch like that locked up.

GAD

Yea I couldn't believe it when I got the gift either it was ridiculous of my parents. I mean I wear it on special occasions I just can't bring it to college on the risk that it will get stolen. Once I graduate it will definitely get more use because I love that watch.
icon10.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #33 of 88
Quartz movements aren't always lower tier. There are many Quartz movements that are works of art and took years of hard work to make.

But yeah, I can understand the allure of an automatic Omega.

Omega makes great watches and I've been in love with the seamaster for 3 years now (many watches have come and gone in that time period). So you're not making a bad choice at all by getting an omega but have you thought about buying it used online (ex time zone.com sales forum). For $1300 you can get a whole lot more watch (Box, papers, and manual) than from an AD.

I just got a call 5 mins after making this post that a friend had both the Omega Seamaster and Sinn UX for sale under $1,200. On monday I'm the new owner of a Sinn UX
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's time to retire my crappy digital watch, so after some light research it seems an Omega should be a decent middle ground watch for the mean time.

But I still don't know much about its movement, and I don't really want to start poking around on watch forums
redface.gif

Is it possible to get an Omega (basic stainless steel) for around $1300 new, preferably from an AD? How frequently will they need to be serviced? How durable is the watch face? I should add, that I prefer a conservative look, one that will go well with slacks/shirt and tie, scrubs, jeans, etc.

Something like a Seamaster Aqua Terra (plain face) blue or black is the look I like.

Any other recommendations or advice about these watches or any others in my price range? Thanks guys.

How aboout vintage ones?

Link

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #36 of 88
This guy has very good movements for cheap, very good cases as well, I trying ot get one from him, but for sure far less than a Rolex or an Omega and uses very similar movements, if not the same ones....

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Zenith??? Jeez, no thought to the budget there.

Zenith were affordable 10 years ago, until the word got out about the El Primero movement. Now they cost twice as much as comparable IWCs...

I used to have a Speedmaster automatic chrono before I upgraded to an IWC Fliegerchronograph. The Omega was extremely accurate and legible. It also had an easily scratched acrylic crystal for authenticity (the original Moon watch had one too), but I believe they are also available with a synthetic sapphire now.

Just keep in mind that after 4-5 years it will have to be overhauled and that is quite costly. They wanted to charge me $700 for mine (I had paid $1000 for it new in France circa 1996), so I put that money into an IWC instead.

The watch companies try to enforce minimum prices to sustain the aura of exclusivity, but if you search around on Froogle or eBay, you can easily knock off quite a few hundred dollars. I have seen the Speedmaster chrono in your price range.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I couldn't believe it when I got the gift either it was ridiculous of my parents. I mean I wear it on special occasions I just can't bring it to college on the risk that it will get stolen. Once I graduate it will definitely get more use because I love that watch.

Gotcha - I wouldn't wear that at college either!
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #39 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think of the TAG quartz movement?

There is nothing special about any of the quartz movements the Swiss watch companies use, they function in the typical +- 15 seconds a month. I own a Omega Seamaster 2561.80 and the accuracy is pathetic, within a week of setting it to an atomic clock it will already have gained 15 seconds. If you want to feel like you're getting your money's worth out of any watch over $500 that uses a quartz movement, it needs to be a thermo-compensated movement to ensure an extremely high degree of accuracy (+-10 or 5 seconds a year). Very few quartz watches that the Swiss make are thermo-compensated. I believe the Omega Constellation series may have one, but Tag Heuer certainly doesn't, and I don't know if Rolex dabbles in quartz at all anymore. Both Citizen and Seiko readily produce watches using thermo-compensated movements that are ridiculously accurate. Citizen has their E510 movement, and Seiko has their 9F movement. The 9F movement is hand built and does not need to be cracked open for servicing for up to 50 years (still needs battery changes though every 3 years).

9f_pho_01.jpg

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #40 of 88
Dec 10, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #41 of 88
For that much money, there's no reason to buy a quartz watch, esp. an Omega. Get a good quality mechanical, or save your money and get a cheap quartz watch. What you're talking about is the horological equivalent of buying a Sony MDR-V6 for list price, and then learning what else is out there.

Do some reading and looking at - TZ Discussion Forum: TimeZone: Forums and Equation of Time - Equation of Time.

Go into stores and see what fits and what you like. Tourneau, for example.

Take your time (no pun intended) and make a wise choice.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #42 of 88
Might I suggest also Stowa watches. They are an excellent value. They aren't quite Omega level, but they are very nice mechanical watches for the money with excellent craftsmanship. You would order directly from them. Customer service is said to be top notch, and the movement is easily serviced by any reputable watch repair center.

Stowa Uhren ab Werk bestellen und online kaufen

That being said, if you are willing to spend 1300, an Omega would be a great investment.

Also, take a look at Sinn watches although most of them are a bit above your budget.
German Mechanical Watches - Sinn Watches - WatchBuys
the 356 flieger is beautiful IMO
Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on Strap - WatchBuys

(I like German watches
tongue.gif
)

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #43 of 88
I suggested Sinn and Stowa earlier in the thread, but I'm a stoopid gurl who doesn't know crap about watches, and most of these guys are just brand-name hungry as opposed to buying a watch on its own merits, so it's about useless to suggest anything but bling in this thread.
frown.gif

As for Stowa fit and finish not being up to Omega, it depends on which Stowa and which Omega you're comparing. The Marine Original pwns all.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggested Sinn and Stowa earlier in the thread, but I'm a stoopid gurl who doesn't know crap about watches, and most of these guys are just brand-name hungry as opposed to buying a watch on its own merits, so it's about useless to suggest anything but bling in this thread.
frown.gif

As for Stowa fit and finish not being up to Omega, it depends on which Stowa and which Omega you're comparing. The Marine Original pwns all.

Chill, plainsong... remember, this is Head-Fi, not WUS or TZ.
wink.gif

Don't feel bad because they're going the Bose route...

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #45 of 88
That's exactly the feeling, like when everyone here is telling you how Bose sounds, and then the OP says "I'm getting a Bose!" - frustrating.

Note - Omega isn't like Bose, but there's a certain brand-zombiness going on in general that's frustrating to those offering actual ... ya know... advice.

I'm imagining what a trip into the Dive watch forum would look like to someone outside of WUS. Enzo Mechan---what?? Ocean7?? What is Bathys?? Marathon?? Ball???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back