Omega watch advice?
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #16 of 88
Watches are *very* personal things. I love my Rolex. I bought it to symbolize something. I also have a Breitling and a Tag. The Tag was a workhorse for 12 years, but it's not real gold so it looks old. The Breitling has been a bit of a disappointment, but it's a beautiful watch.

If I buy another nice watch it will be either another Rolex or an Omega. Omegas are very nice watches and get you some cache with the Rolex-haters.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 88
^^^I agree with GAD watches are an extremely personal thing and it all depends on what you like. Watches are another budding hobby of mine handed down from my Dad is a watch collector. I got a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph with Meteorite Dial for my high school graduation which I hardly ever wear. Not because I don't love it but becuase I can't risk damaging it. I just got a Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute (24 Hr Dial) in complete stainless steel for my 21st Birthday that I use as an everday watch. I love Omegas however and my choice was between a Breitling and Omega. Next watch I get will probably be an Omega Speedmaster Professiona with Black Leather band. (Once I can afford it) But just to point something out not all Omegas are automatic or quartz. The Speedmaster for example is a manual wind mechanical.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph with Meteorite Dial for my high school graduation which I hardly ever wear.

Dayum dude! That's quite a gift!

Watches were meant to be worn. It's a sin to keep a watch like that locked up.

GAD

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ I got a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph with Meteorite Dial for my high school graduation which I hardly ever wear. Not because I don't love it but becuase I can't risk damaging it.

That's an incredible watch, hard to see having one and not wearing it. Back when I used to collect, guys were wearing Submariners, GMT II's, etc to rockclimb, skydive and all kinds of extreme stuff. We were all shooters, amazing how watch and gun collecting go hand in hand. Ahhh, those were the days, wearing an AP Royal Oak Chronograph on the subway and wondering if someone was going to try to cut my hand off, lol!

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 88
Omega? Best swatch money can buy.

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #25 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omega? Best swatch money can buy.

Cold man, cold
biggrin.gif

Back to the Rolex people... the main problem with those is that they scream either

A. New Money
B. Midlife Crisis
C. My First Expensive Watch So I Went With Name Recognition

Don't get me wrong, I owned a Rolex, but I was case C. They are excellent watches, but there's just (IMO) too much "bling" involved. I like the fact that 99% of the people out there don't recognize the name brand; it keeps people from trying to rob me and keeps gold-diggers away.

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 88
Cruise a forum called Watchuseek for good brands out there in your price range. Omega is one, but it doesn't HAVE to be quartz for 1300 bucks! Jeez talk about not getting what you paid for - unless it's high end quartz like Citizen's The Citizen.

But you can certainly do better for the money than a cheap quartz for 1300 bucks. 300 is my limit for quartz, and it's got to really be something I really really have to talk myself into even at that price. Hell, you can get nice automatics at that price range as well!

Please, do your homework at a watch forum before overpaying for something.

This isn't me preaching against Rolex or what have you, I'm just saying, at your price range, you don't have to "settle" for anything.

The two over 1k watches I have that I love dearly are my Sinn 356 UTC - best chrono you can get in the 1k price range and one hell of a watch, and the unknown-round-these-parts Bathys Benthic.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #27 of 88
Yeah, go for the 007 model!

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 88
If you want to consider something outside the box that not every Bob, Joe, and Jon will have, I'd recommend a Grand Seiko. Most of them are well outside of your price range, but you can swing the SBGF021.

SBGF021-02.jpg

It uses a thermo-compensated quartz movement that's accurate to +-10 seconds a year. If you've never heard of Grand Seikos before and the name Seiko turns you off as a cheap department store watch, realize that they are not in the same class of Seikos you find in department stores across the U.S. Grand Seikos are only available in Japan (but can be imported through two very reliable exporters) and are hand assembled and hand finished to a very high degree of quality.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #29 of 88
I've stated in my last post that I've decided against the quartz, and I have bumped up my budget. I appreciate the suggestions for other name brands, but I'm pretty set on getting the Omega for a variety of reasons.

earwicker: sorry I have to disagree with your Rolex stereotypes
wink.gif
(maybe you have a reason to believe it's true, but definitely not the case with my parents)

edit: since my original post wasn't worded so clearly (and I did ask for other recommendations) it probably should have read more along the lines of "is Omega junk"? Now that I've established that their autos use good movement, they're durable, and the crystal is high quality I've pretty much made my decision; there are very few brands I'd be willing to spend this much money on and Omega is one of them. Thanks for all the useful information guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back