Omega watch advice?
Dec 8, 2007 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it's time to retire my crappy digital watch, so after some light research it seems an Omega should be a decent middle ground watch for the mean time.

But I still don't know much about its movement, and I don't really want to start poking around on watch forums
redface.gif

Is it possible to get an Omega (basic stainless steel) for around $1300 new, preferably from an AD? How frequently will they need to be serviced? How durable is the watch face? I should add, that I prefer a conservative look, one that will go well with slacks/shirt and tie, scrubs, jeans, etc.

Something like a Seamaster Aqua Terra (plain face) blue or black is the look I like.

Any other recommendations or advice about these watches or any others in my price range? Thanks guys.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 88
I have owned my Omega for just over a year, and have had no problems whatever. If it's in your price range, I would suggest looking for an Omega with their highly-regarded Co-Axial movement. Not sure if they make a watch with that particular movement in your price range.

Another brand to consider is Oris (Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.). They are an excellent value in mechanical watches.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 88
Can't really help you to much about the price of the seamaster. All I can add is that I absolutely love my moon watch its never missed a beat in the 3 years I have owned it. It is a classic.

I am sure somebody can help you more, I just wanted say you won't go wrong with an Omega.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 88
A very good wristwatch and an excellent movement! You cannot and will not go wrong with an Omega.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 88
I have an Omega Speedmaster automatic chronograph which I've been very satisfied with.

All in all quality wise Omega watches are of really high standards and you can't go wrong with getting one, as long as you get it from a place that can quarantee its authenticity. Quite much the only thing setting the price difference between Omega and Rolex watches is the more prestigious brand image of Rolex. (same goes for other high end manufacturers such as Oris, IWC and Breitling)

Omega makes both automatic (self-winding) and quartz (battery powered) watches of which the quartz watches are the more affordable ones. I'm sure you can fit a non chrono quartz omega into that budget of yours. Or if you can bind a good deal you might even get an automatic one.
The automatic watches are considered as being a more high-end way of keeping time. (And it indeed is nice to have a state of the art movement really ticking in your wrist and seeing the second hand 'glide' on the dial.)

Omega automatic watches utilise the same valjoux movement made by swiss ETA which is used by many other major watch manufactures as well. (including Oris, Longines, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Tissot and IWC) The movements are well known for being durable and keeping time well.

Automatic watch movements do need to be serviced at an interval of about 5 years, which at an authorized dealer does cost anywhere close to 100$ afaik. Quartz movement ofcourse only need an occasional battery change.

Hope this helps,
Arrin

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like a Rolex over an Omega. Both good.

I have both and I used to prefer Omega over Rolex. However a few years ago Omega drastically changed the look of the Constellation and it killed it for me.

Both are good watches and if I may suggest find the style you like and then go to an authorized dealer and ask if they have any estate jewelery. This means pieces which have been traded in. If they have what you want ask if it has been serviced by the factory. Why? because if serviced by the factory you can not tell the difference w/ a new piece and you get the same type and length of warranty.

If I had known this a few years back I would have saved a lot of money. For example a Rolex date just can be bought for 40% less. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 88
J-Pak,
My other hobby is looking good
smily_headphones1.gif
/ watches.
Look into the Omega Aqua Terra (~2K), it's very classy with a classic look that won't scream "Rob Me" or "I'm Rich". Comes in 2 variety Quartz/Automatic. The automatic chrono (Coaxial Movement) measure very precise time (you won't lose any seconds or very few). The quartz version can be purchase in the $1300 price range but if you can stretch go for the Coaxial Automatic (Same Casing, different insides). This is the precise watch I'm saving for.
EDIT: The Aqua Terra crystal is Sapphire Crystal which is common and reliable (can be seen on Rolex, Cartier, Breitling, Raymond Weil, Baume/Mercier).

Your other alternative is a Rolex Datejust/Explorer/Air King all of which will hit you in the 3k-4k. In my opinion, you do not want to show boat the attendings with a Rolex/Benz/BMW when on hospital grounds.

Other offerings such as Raymond Weil, Cartier, Breitling, etc...offers nice selection as well.

Go here for some genuine watches w/ great prices (guaranteed authentic):

TAG Heuer, Omega, Breitling, Cartier, Zenith, Oris, TechnoMarine, Rado, Ebel, Baume & Mercier, Gucci, Movado, Longines, Chopard & Jaeger LeCoultre Watches

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 88
This is my 3 year old Seamaster. I wear it everyday. I've never had a problem, It keeps perfect time and the crystal is the same as it was the day I bought it. it's self-winding, not the quartz version.

100_2548.jpg

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 88
Since when was a TAG affordable for what you get? And Zenith??? Jeez, no thought to the budget there.

If I were getting an Omega, I'd want a Planet Ocean. Otherwise, I'd have a look at Stowa anytime of the week and twice on Sundays. It was recommended to me here, and it's my go-to brand for quality and price. Tell me who else makes (and by this I mean makes it themselves, not sourced to some manufacturer), watches with sapphire front and back, clean readable dials, regulated, and with higher grade movements - for about 500 bucks. No one is doing this but Stowa.

And why they can afford it? They sell the Stowa brand online only. They have a higher tier brand Schauer for the shops.

If I were looking at a Speedy, I'd rather have my Sinn 356.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 88
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was initially going to buy a Rolex after I graduated (an Oyster Perpetual Datejust) but decided to get the leatherheads instead, which I'm very happy with.

Unfortunately $1300 is the upper limit of how much I want to spend on a watch for the time being simply because I know I'll "upgrade" it in a few years time to either Rolex or Patek. My dad has three Rolex's (wedding present, and purchased two others at key points in his career) and he is very happy with them.

So it will more than likely have to be a quartz movement. I'm sort of picky with what I want and I'm not a big fan of any inset dials/chronograph.

mrarroyo: I will definitely ask about the estate jewelry, thank you for the suggestion.

computerpro: great website, an Aqua Terra in blue fits my budget exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I'll spend the next few weeks trying some on. Thanks a lot guys
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

computerpro: great website, an Aqua Terra in blue fits my budget exactly
smily_headphones1.gif
<snip>

Excuse me, J-Pak?
wink.gif
confused.gif

I just hope you don't harmlessly/unintentionally yell out the wrong woman's name during a session.
eek.gif

Yeah the Aqua Terra Quartz is just in your price range. A very elegant watch (perfect for an intern).

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 88
My dad's old Omega watch (now on my brother's arm) was built in the late 50s or early 60s if I remember correctly. It's a tank.

I personally prefer (and wear) a Movado if you're looking at that price range. It may not be as conservative looking as you need, however.

dscn0078iv3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me, J-Pak?
wink.gif
confused.gif

I just hope you don't harmlessly/unintentionally yell out the wrong woman's name during a session.
eek.gif

Yeah the Aqua Terra Quartz is just in your price range. A very elegant watch (perfect for an intern).

Woops sorry computerstud
redface.gif
(<- the new embarrassed smiley rules)

Thinking about it more there isn't much point in getting a quartz for this much money.

I'm going to try on the medium 300M and see if I like the large numerical dial in real life, they just don't look that great in pictures.

earwicker: sorry man the Movado watches are a bit too generic.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
earwicker: sorry man the Movado watches are a bit too generic.

Eh, people differ. I like it's simplicity. That's why I sold my Rolex
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back