Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #91 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the alleged underage Chinese gymnasts, check out this article about those who are making the charges. What a bunch of hypocrites!

That's not hypocrisy. To qualify as hypocritical, the U.S. women's team would also need to have members clearly under the age of 16. What that is, is the Karolyis whining like losers. But considering the U.S. wasn't even in the running, I don't see the point. The issue is not the Chinese girls. They were Fantastic. The issue isn't what the age limit should be. The issue is lying about their age... sets a great precedent, no?

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #92 of 160
Can you imagine not being able to drive yet, and being touted as one of the worlds greatest athletes? Not even mature enough to make your own adult or financial decisions, yet, are an exemplary role model for ALL athletes AROUND THE WORLD. Makes for one hell of a story to your grand kids.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #93 of 160
The Karolyis' bitching and moaning is just embarrassing...

China now leads in total medal count and is killing everyone in gold medal count, but it is still relatively early.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #94 of 160
OK.. what I want to know is... WHY oh WHY hasn't Canada one a SINGLE medal yet?

Jeez... I don't think they offer our athletes enough incentive to win anything... C'mon $20,000 for a GOLD medal?!

(13 more posts to go)

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #96 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would people want to look up to athletes as role models ?

If its a non-doping or non-cheating athlete... why not

They`re individuals who work extremely hard at something and strive to be the best. I think that`s much better than whats usually portrayed in the media to get buy on ``good`` looks or lack-luster talent.

(7 more posts to go)

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #97 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you imagine not being able to drive yet, and being touted as one of the worlds greatest athletes? Not even mature enough to make your own adult or financial decisions, yet, are an exemplary role model for ALL athletes AROUND THE WORLD. Makes for one hell of a story to your grand kids.

There' re plenty of example of such athletes, from the US and otherwise.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #98 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Repooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK.. what I want to know is... WHY oh WHY hasn't Canada one a SINGLE medal yet!

Does Canada usually win many medals in the summer games? I did watch your country and the U.S. play a spirited soccer er football match this morning. It went extra time where the South country prevailed on a soggy field in the rain.

My other highlight today has been a very tight and hotly contested CHN/ITA women's water polo match. I really dig that sport. Think I'm going to try it.

--

Here is the current medal counts adjusted for population:

1. Armenia
2. Australia
3. Mongolia
4. Slovakia
5. Georgia!!!!!!

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #99 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Karolyis' bitching and moaning is just embarrassing...

China now leads in total medal count and is killing everyone in gold medal count, but it is still relatively early.

That lead will change once we get into Track and Field.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #100 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Canada usually win many medals in the summer games? I did watch your country and the U.S. play a spirited soccer er football match this morning. It went extra time where the South country prevailed on a soggy field in the rain.

My other highlight today has been a very tight and hotly contested CHN/ITA women's water polo match. I really dig that sport. Think I'm going to try it.

--

Here is the current medal counts adjusted for population:

1. Armenia
2. Australia
3. Mongolia
4. Slovakia
5. Georgia!!!!!!

canada generally gets in top 20 in medals... but still zero medals so far
frown.gif

at least Korea's doing very well.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #101 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There' re plenty of example of such athletes, from the US and otherwise.

Not to that extreme though. Sure, I know a couple kid surfers that could absolutely rock about 90% of the people I know. Or some MTBers that can hop OVER (not onto, OVER and completely CLEAR IT) a picnic table and are only like 5'1" feet tall....but that's not on a fitness level of a gymnast or swimmer in the Olympics.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #102 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to that extreme though. Sure, I know a couple kid surfers that could absolutely rock about 90% of the people I know. Or some MTBers that can hop OVER (not onto, OVER and completely CLEAR IT) a picnic table and are only like 5'1" feet tall....but that's not on a fitness level of a gymnast or swimmer in the Olympics.

Don't forget figure skaters

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #103 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not hypocrisy. To qualify as hypocritical, the U.S. women's team would also need to have members clearly under the age of 16. What that is, is the Karolyis whining like losers. But considering the U.S. wasn't even in the running, I don't see the point. The issue is not the Chinese girls. They were Fantastic. The issue isn't what the age limit should be. The issue is lying about their age... sets a great precedent, no?

as much as i detest the Karolyis and their training methods, i have to take their side on this. for the women's team events there's much more than just the age controversy.

a lot of people noticed that the Chinese jacked up their difficulty level so high that even if they made a mistake, the deductions didn't make that big of an impact. which leads to this question: is it better to have a so-so high difficulty routine or a pefect, lower difficulty routine?

the judging has also been called in for scrutiny. Johnson/Liukin would have perfect beam routines but would get scores in the low 15's...in fact, there was an article noting that the main/president judge (lady in red) had the entire panel re-do some of the scores for the American women during the all around competition. seriously, some of the scores were embarrassingly low for mistakes that no one could really pinpoint.

so add those all together, and then have a host country more or less flaunt gymnasts that look like they could be 12...i would be pissed too. let's face it, i know Chinese girls can look young (i lived in Singapore and Taipei for half of my life) but even my parents and i agreed that they were too young.

no one is saying that those girls didn't deserve the gold, they do. they were brilliant, but the government that's backing them should get more than just a few raised eyebrows from the IOC and IFG.

finally, i would venture a guess that China didn't have much talent in the women's 16+ division for this time around, hence the need for athletes of questionable age. big deal. it wasn't like the U.S. or any other country had an entire roster gold medalists competing with them.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #105 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usain Bolt: 9.69s

That was absolutely incredible to watch!
I couldn't believe he still shut down before the end,posing and looking around,that was hilarious!
What a showman,and what a run.
Absolutely awe inspiring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back