"Old" vs "New" HD580/600s & HD650s?
Aug 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #272 of 350
Frankly, I haven't decided yet, cactus_farmer. The last line in my previous post was just joking. Actually, I did not intentionally buy the second cans, since I bought it for my friend, who later told me he could not repay as he had other more important things to spend his money on. So I ended up having 2 set of cans and the second one happened to be a new version.

Actually, I intended to sell one I don’t like and use that money to buy something different like a pair of Denon or AKG. At first, I thought I would keep the new one as it’s more fun to listen to, but I also found that some of my favorite albums (like those of Alison Krauss, Susan Wong, or Jennifer Warnes) sound better with my old cans.

I don’t know if these "new" and "old" versions are really this much different, or it's just me fooling myself. But honestly, I think the differences are quite obvious. But also note that I can't draw a final conclusion for myself yet, since the new one is still in run-in period, and I didn't use my "old" cans when it was run-in (I connected it with my stereo amplifier and almost forgot it for almost 2 weeks), so I don't know if it sounded like this one prior to its maturity.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #274 of 350
Okay I found out how to check new one and old one. I found out that I have the new one
o2smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ctures-230845/

Look at the end of the first post shows you high rez new and old.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #276 of 350
Hey guys,

I'm here for my final update.

Now the phones are >250hrs, and I believe I can now say burn-in is complete.

In the burn-in period, there were several changes in the sound, which, from my memory, I've never experienced with my "old" version (but note that I didn't listen to them much when I burn-in my "old" pair).

Out of the box and in the first <50hrs, they sounded harsh, but I can say they were snappier then the old version out of the box.

51-100hrs, the harshness was lessened, but still ear-piercing and dynamic was gone, as you can see in my previous post complaining about this.

101-200hrs, the phones seemed to be progressively better overtime, as I noticed the decrease of harshness and aggressiveness of sibilants, as well as the increase of dynamic and punch.

>200, at this point, the new pair sounded very similar to the old pair. There, however, are some differences in sound. From my comparison, the new one seems to be better in producing mid-high and high frequency, and bass seems to be tighten up a bit making it a bit faster phones, compared to the previous version.

To simply put, they sound like the “old” version with tighten-up bass and boosted up treble. For me, I prefer them to the old version.

Below is how I did the comparison.
1. Changed the pads of the old version as Andrew’s request.
2. The phones were connected to the same amp (DV332 with Svetlana and LM 403B tubes).
3. The same cable (Equinox) was used with 2 phones.
4. Firstly I listened to the new one very carefully; then disconnected the phones from Equinox, and connected the old one, and listened to the same tracks again.
5. I did this 2 more times in different occasions, totaling 6 times of swapping in and out, and above is my finding.

Note again that the above is merely my opinion, with which you guys don’t have to agree. For me, only negative thing is the new version is more prone to sibilants, making some tracks a bit annoying to listen to, but overall, the new one is a better pair of cans for me.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #277 of 350
thanks PrTv

just a question;

could this whole 'old vs new' thing not be to do with Sennheiser changing the headphones at a particular date, but simply the fact that some HD650's (the ones with the black filters) are duds?

ie. the 'old' and 'new' versions have always been and are still being produced at the same time, just some HD650's are 'good' (the 'new' ones with silver filters) and some are 'bad' or 'duds' (the 'old' ones with black filters)??

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #278 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks PrTv

just a question;

could this whole 'old vs new' thing not be to do with Sennheiser changing the headphones at a particular date, but simply the fact that some HD650's (the ones with the black filters) are duds?

ie. the 'old' and 'new' versions have always been and are still being produced at the same time, just some HD650's are 'good' (the 'new' ones with silver filters) and some are 'bad' or 'duds' (the 'old' ones with black filters)??

You really think sennheiser would sell some duds?!

No, it's just evolution of a product! Like an upgraded amp with other caps, resisters or even tubes.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #279 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really think sennheiser would sell some duds?!

No, it's just evolution of a product! Like an upgraded amp with other caps, resisters or even tubes.

Are you absolutely sure? Explain this then.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4116639-post85.html
Production variations across units is pretty common, happens to other phones, not only HD650 and Sennheiser.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #281 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but there are loads of the black-filtered HD650's around so Sennheiser must have selling many, many duds and this wouldn't be acceptable - assuming the black filtered HD650's are actually all duds...

Why are you assuming there are duds?

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #282 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Production variations across units is pretty common, happens to other phones, not only HD650 and Sennheiser.

This might be the case also. There aren't that many people here who have compared the old and new version and actually found clear differences. So it's possible that those who have found the differences, have had some Monday versions (including myself). In our comparison we made sure that the conditions were as identical as possible. I even checked that the earpads were about in same shape, because I've auditioned HD650's which had flattened pads and they had more bassy and darker sound.

Anyways after we did the comparison I immediately sold my HD650's. I was on a budget back then so I went for HD600 and I haven't regretted that a second. I'm very happy with my current rig.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #283 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Variations in samples doesn't mean duds! The older ones have paper like drivers, the two other ones have more silk like drivers.

You think they would put those in at random?! No, they all are evolutions of the product!

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #284 of 350
283 posts regarding driver material of the HD650. Not bad.
Looking forward to their next top of line headphone. That is going to be exciting, if, or whenever it happens.

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #285 of 350
Certainly wont be the first headphone with different versions. Grado and AKG are both very well known for this already. Beyerdynamic as well, though they usually present their versions in a more official capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back