Old School Trio: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #166 of 169
Quote:

But how are you meant to compare? Did you use a SPL meter?

I'll show you what happens when I try to compare them;

Using the same amp for both HD650 and DT880, I'll listen to the HD650, then plug in the DT880 and listen to that. The bass sounds quieter on the DT880 - but I realize, actually, the whole sound is quieter because the DT880 needs more power from the amp to reach a given volume. Then I turn up the volume on the DT880 until the bass sounds as loud as I remembered it on the HD650. Then I switch back to the HD650 - I notice the bass is louder, but then again the whole sound is louder because the HD650 are more efficiently driven from the amp. So I turn it down until the bass sounds as loud as the DT880. And I go round in circles. So I can never make a direct comparison.

So I was wondering if you used an SPL meter when comparing? And if you didn't use an SPL - how are you confident that the HD650 has fuller bass than the DT880? I'm not trying to accuse you of anything - just genuinely interested in how one is meant to make a comparison.

They do require different volume, yes. I just adjust it when it feels comfortable to my ears, no precise matching. HD650 sounds fuller perhaps because of the midbass hump

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #168 of 169
the q701 fixes alot of people's typical k701 issues, in my opinion. yes, it's still bass light, but there's more bass than before and the headphone (Q701) is not fatiguing at all in my experience. an awesome complementary can for many genres, unfortunately things like death metal or even heavy rock will always be painful.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #169 of 169
Quote:
things like death metal or even heavy rock will always be painful.

Well, they've always been painful to me and I don't even own an AKG.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back